Shame. No worries, just asking; have one spare from my original No.12 so trying to work out what to do with it. 

My line just is perfect for tank engines, which is good as I love small tank engines anyway. So the more the merrier in my eyes. 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

What is the wheelbase of the L&B loco? Wondering if motorising front and rear axles with a motor bogie (and drivers as free-wheeling on stub axles) could be the answer.

I'll have a look in a bit...

2 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

J72 surely? Industrials tend to have much shorter wheelbase to deal with tight radius curves.

Yes, indeed.

4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

J72 surely? Industrials tend to have much shorter wheelbase to deal with tight radius curves.

I took a look at my j72 recently and found the chassis to be a bob on match for manning wardle Marquis,  pity about the motor jutting into the cab though, incidentally for the peckett w4 chassis I think this little RSH might be chunky enough to fit 

29542654_184363229016269_1455458622979964928_n.jpg

sulphur.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

55 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Indeed. Whoops, wrong number :p The J52 is a large saddle tank IIRC. D'oh!

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 10/07/2019 at 18:49, sem34090 said:

That isn't the issue - Other 3D Printed locos have 3D printed chassis that work perfectly well. My actual problem is that, as it is currently, there's very little room inside for a motor and some weight.

I will have a think, might yet come up with something.

For those of you seeking one of these locos in prototypical London & Blackwall Condition, it is now available via the CDC Designs Shapeways shop, along with a Manning Wardle K Class:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/F7XSJLZ2X/london-and-blackwall-rly-2-2-2wt?optionId=111693384

image.png.0f234bf4b1cffb9248f823cb35dd0c26.png

Thank you very much Sem and CDC, i have placed an order. Mine is going to get a tender and be a little more Crewe in appearance. I will probably hide the motor in the tender. 

• Like 2

Quite - Proved to be a brilliant workbench, with plenty of room underneath the layout for storage!

I will warn members of this forum that this layout won't be pre-grouping, and it's highly likely that it won't be able to easily host pre-grouping stock. It's currently looking like it's going to be an essay in SR Exmouth Junction Concrete products...

Sleep, my child, and peace attend thee
All through the night;
Guardian angels God will lend thee
All through the night;
Soft the drowsy hours are creeping,
Hill and Vale in slumber steeping;
Love alone His watch is keeping
All through the night. 

Okay so maybe things aren't quite so bad as to require what I believe is a traditional Welsh funeral hymn, but I have been awake all through the night doing CAD work so that line came to my mind!

The result of said CAD work is a station building for the layout above:

image.png.3a6d767890c00a32640486a8892a0011.png

Hopefully I will get it printed today, then painted up. I should mention that the above layout has a show booked on Monday...

For anyone who's interested, , the front and back of the building are based on the Western half of Havenstreet, the ends are based on the Eastern end of the same, and the canopy is SR standard, but specifically drawn from plans intended for Yeovil Town. I think it looks quite good! Not necessarily attractive, but good. Especially given it's my first proper attempt at a printable building! It breaks down into six print runs, five if I work it out right.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

And now those parts are painted up and just awaiting glazing, roofing, and the canopy adding.

image.png.5d6513a25ab3faad951fc23a6062e69a.png

The painting of the lettering on the poster boards was rather messy, but it is still (just, and only just - not at all on a couple of them) legible. I know the doorway is a bit narrow - a hangover from my basing it off of Havenstreet, forgetting that on the prototype the end to the right of the door is non-public, and is narrower. Oh well, other than those things I'm quite pleased with it!

image.png.865ae97d7e41a306d09355a2577dabeb.png

More dodgy painting on the canopy...

image.png.f626996dbd1e4af16fa4b263c11d1619.png

The layout also now has a name, the only one which properly fitted with my criteria of:

- An airfield/aerodrome which opened prior to 1935.

- A location within the area covered by the LSWR (The Signalbox being an LSWR Type 1).

- A location not within 2 miles of a railway.

- A location that was within a reasonable distance of pre-War electrification, should I wish to electrify in the future.

Odiham fits that as, although not a civil aerodrome as I would have preferred, RAF Odiham saw its first flight in 1925, though I see it didn't become a permanent airfield until 1937. 1925 will suit me though. I also see that it wasn't until 1934 that they set about making it more permanent, but it still just about fits. It's firmly within LSWR territory, with the nearest station being Hook on the SWML at just over 3 miles away.  Finally, there is potential for the branch to run to Farnham, Bentley or Alton where it would meet the SR's 1937 electrification, so it meets that criteria.

Of course, I could have just made up a place name for the layout, but that would've been too easy and I would have missed hours of procras... vital research had I done so! I enjoy that sort of thing anyway.

The procra... research occurred whilst the ballast was drying, though it's still not dry...

Ball.png.3d272e4d6f683f2a524fdb2d3d7258d3.png

I hope it's dry by Monday, when this layout is due to be exhibited...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Sem, I’ve been trying to find when Exmouth Junction concrete works opened, without much luck. Looking at it another way, Seaton Junction was rebuilt 1927/8 and had the full monty for concrete additions, and the Lynton and Barnstaple, taken over with grouping, still gained standard nameboards, mileposts, gradient posts before closure,  I would fancy with signal posts, SR management from the outset wanted to do things on the cheap, money being very tight in the 1920s, so I’d say all these items would appear once the SR was up and running mid 20s. Odiham is a good choice, nice village buildings, interesting castle, and a canal. Good luck with the build.

• Informative/Useful 1

While I'm afraid I can't help much with the concrete dates, I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with the 3D prints - I've been struggling to get large objects like carriages to print without significant warping, even when printed directly on the bed. What's your secret? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Northroader said:

Sem, I’ve been trying to find when Exmouth Junction concrete works opened, without much luck.

It was an LSWR establishment originally, so pre-1923.

Looking at it another way, Seaton Junction was rebuilt 1927/8 and had the full monty for concrete additions, and the Lynton and Barnstaple, taken over with grouping, still gained standard nameboards, mileposts, gradient posts before closure,  I would fancy with signal posts, SR management from the outset wanted to do things on the cheap, money being very tight in the 1920s, so I’d say all these items would appear once the SR was up and running mid 20s. Odiham is a good choice, nice village buildings, interesting castle, and a canal. Good luck with the build.

Not much of Odiham itself will be appearing yet (more's the pity - I know Odiham reasonably well.).

7 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

While I'm afraid I can't help much with the concrete dates, I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with the 3D prints - I've been struggling to get large objects like carriages to print without significant warping, even when printed directly on the bed. What's your secret? 

Haha... It did warp, though it's not really all that noticeable. The walls have warped to be slightly inward-pointing, and though I think it may be a file issue, the brickwork was designed flat with no ridge. I like the ridge though, so no point worrying about it!

IMG_20190720_121925.jpg.f917321c7967b4dc76bb75d6ca69af7c.jpg

More progress - There's even a vague chance that it may be ready for its first outing on Monday.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

It was an LSWR establishment originally, so pre-1923.

Not much of Odiham itself will be appearing yet (more's the pity - I know Odiham reasonably well.).

Haha... It did warp, though it's not really all that noticeable. The walls have warped to be slightly inward-pointing, and though I think it may be a file issue, the brickwork was designed flat with no ridge. I like the ridge though, so no point worrying about it!

IMG_20190720_121925.jpg.f917321c7967b4dc76bb75d6ca69af7c.jpg

More progress - There's even a vague chance that it may be ready for its first outing on Monday.

Looking good man.

• Thanks 1

Without wishing to gloat about the print, the roof I just made for it really doesn't do it justice. Oh well. I guess it might look better with properly printed brick paper and some ridge tiles.

1563707905728-2138581998.jpg.170755771e1cd2dc1bb8f93608b7e3ab.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

The latest item from the Photon -

IMG_20190721_124306.jpg.4e3077b576363e548af863364ae48865.jpg

Exmouth Junction concrete Running-in board and fence. I did some lamps too, but whilst the lampshades worked the posts were a tad too flimsy.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3