• RMweb Gold

Good to see you back, and that things are going well - and of course at the Talyllyn you'll still see a few MHR folks - the Medstead stationmaster in particular...

Though I still think one of the 483s should be restored to NSE colours, now you've got two!

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Annie said:

Lovely to hear from you again Sem, - you certainly have been busy!  Good to read that the LT Traction Group became a reality and that you were able to rescue the ex IoW units.

Thanks Annie - It's been a lot of work just to get to the starting point here, but well worth it. The first time I stepped into that thing after it arrived I would say is the happiest moment of my life so far. It will hopefully be surpassed in a couple of years, but it was certainly amazing.

13 hours ago, Northroader said:

Thanks for an update, Sem, odd times I wonder how you’re doing at Aberystwyth, and if there’s any modelling happening.

Nice to know I'm being thought of! xD

I'll be posting more modelling here as Talyllyn stuff arrives - There should be something arriving early next week all being well.

I suppose the Talyllyns gain is the Watercress’ loss.

Not quite! The MHR aren't yet rid of me!

Good to see the old IoW units have been saved, I reckon Stagecoach just ran them into the ground,

Well, yes and no. They're fairly knackered, but our two are the best of the bunch mechanically. The gleaming 483007 went to Havenstreet (Deservedly) after only a few days in traffic after finishing its 3-year long overhaul. It was extremely unreliable though.

Additionally, once 007 was nominally in traffic they took our 'main' unit 006 back into Ryde works to reinstate it (It had been withdrawn in November '20) and it gained a wealth of overhauled bits, not least a freshly overhauled bogie and a couple of new wheelsets. This saw it through to become the last unit in traffic.

Ryde worked miracles with those things in their final year just to keep a semblance of a service going, and a fair chunk of the staff are sad to see them gone. Some haven't been able to adjust to the new stock, which is in many ways vastly over-complicated and which is itself proving pretty unreliable.

I'm sure Stonebridge Park will be having to work miracles of its own over the next 20 years as they try to patch up the Bakerloo Line's 1972TS fleet in light of TfL's funding crisis. And I have no doubt we'll be waiting at the end of it all to take on one of those units.

hope they’re safe from vandals where they now are, will they be used in a similar manner to the Alderney railway ones?

There are a few stages to our plans. The first stage is to get 483006 ready for loco-hauled service. What form this takes largely depends on how things go with Ruislip Depot's fleet of Schoma diesel locomotives. If we manage to secure L.1 or L.12 then we can probably put 006 straight into service as these locos can couple straight onto tube stock.

Failing that, the L&MMR have a BR 16T Mineral wagon chassis which is pencilled in for conversion to a translator vehicle.

The second phase mostly concerns our other unit, 483008. This unit needs more substantial work than 006 but is mechanically relatively sound. The main issue is that all the tyres either need turning or replacing.

This unit has been chosen to be much more heavily modified than 006 (Which will hopefully be almost untouched besides regular maintenance) with one vehicle set to be equipped with traction batteries to power the 4-car formation and the other being restored to as close to 1940 condition as is reasonably possible. This will allow a fully electric train and also the ability to tell the entire history of the units through the different interiors (Half of 006 will be internally restored to NSE condition, the other half conserved in 2021 condition).

13 hours ago, Nick C said:

Good to see you back, and that things are going well - and of course at the Talyllyn you'll still see a few MHR folks - the Medstead stationmaster in particular...

Indeed - When he was last up here we briefly met up. This is, of course, not to mention that I'm still on the Medstead roster for the illuminations this year!

13 hours ago, Nick C said:

Though I still think one of the 483s should be restored to NSE colours, now you've got two!

Let's wait and see, shall we? ;)

The plan is to see 006 go into NSE for the period of the 40th anniversaries of NSE, Island Line as a brand, the introduction of the 483s and the introduction of our 483s (2026 - 2030) and to then, most likely, stay in NSE until a new coat of paint is required.

13 hours ago, Regularity said:

Everyone I know who has gone to study at Aber has fallen in love with the place.

I have found the same, but it's little wonder as to why. Even better as a railway enthusiast! The VoR have had their new South African Garratt out a few times in the past couple of months and hearing that chime whistle across the town and up the hill is pretty nice. The Swindon whistles on the Rheidol Tanks aren't too bad either. 

As of now I'm currently enjoying the dubious pleasures of a bus to Carmarthen and thence another to Cynheidre to see how 006 is getting on as a home for Mr Christmas. Apparently I'm also going to be Secondman on a 'Pacer', so most of the day will be spent on buses of one form or another.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

This weekend I started laying track for a new micro layout. Actually, it's more of a photo plank really.

Love the 'wet look' and the bare trees!   Are these ModelU figures?  :dontknow:

Jim

• Funny 3

12 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Love the 'wet look' and the bare trees!   Are these ModelU figures?  :dontknow:

Jim

The wet look was very difficult to get right - A lot of varnish smothered all over everything. I'm not happy with the lack of ballast and some of the sleepers are spaced a bit too wide and really it ought to have conductor rails. Overall we're happy with it though.

I did actually get scanned by Modelu at Didcot last year but never heard anything afterwards!

I'm hoping to have some actual modelling to post soon.

• Like 2

On 14/02/2022 at 16:47, Northroader said:

Why have you filled the fiddle yard with bushes?

I thought it looked quite effective!

Anyway, the stock arrived this morning. Another bargain at £1 including postage!

IMG-20220218-WA0000.jpg.3da66f79d481bf772d60ce87a56bb217.jpg

It needs a bit of work though.

IMG-20220218-WA0003.jpg.e9ef91ba75d7ad31a69b0f87ba186137.jpg

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 8

Some small scale modelling has happened!

Two EMU-based projects are currently on the go. One is a BR Class 485 Driving Motor vehicle from a Radley Models Standard Stock kit -

IMG_20220224_100900_9.jpg.d2b94773663a8c2dcf7ba85f4022e6e7.jpg

The other is rather less prototypical. For my partner's next layout, I have been asked to make a 1-Car EMU. As I had a surplus Hornby 2-BIL unit this seemed a suitable basis. DC Overhead current supply was already decided upon so I set to work cutting and shutting the BIL into what is, in SR terms, probably best described as a 1-NOL, repainted into the desired livery and with a spare pantograph added. It's had its drawgear substituted for a buckeye and air brakes swapped for Vacuum (Not sure why!).

The right hand pickup has been diverted so the unit now draws current via the OLE (Improvised here with 009 track!!) to enable basic two train running on the proposed layout.

IMG_20220224_114535_6.jpg.7fd008866f07c1bc252426bc96e26338.jpg

IMG_20220224_114607_9.jpg.42575ed477e42e8583910a7f048d8774.jpg

It's still a long way from completion but overall I'm happy with it so far!

Another interesting project may be on the horizon following my partner's acquisition of a Garstang & Knott End Railway 0-6-0T the other day...

IMG_20220224_120134_3.jpg.f09eda698f5ecdd67cccdf4bd60fbe21.jpg

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

DC Overhead current supply was already decided upon so I set to work cutting and shutting the BIL into what is, in SR terms, probably best described as a 1-NOL, repainted into the desired livery and with a spare pantograph added.

Rather nice: quite a lot like the PRR MP54 class:

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Regularity said:

Rather nice: quite a lot like the PRR MP54 class:

spacer.png

I certainly think it looks slightly American or possibly colonial. 

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Isn't a 1-car EMU simply an EU? Or is the M justified because it can work in multiple with other similar vehicles?

I've retained the multiple working cable...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Wow, you have been busy recently.

Also where did they get that 0-6-0T? I love it and now want one!

They bought it in a model shop, but I'd rather keep it a little bit quiet which one as there were a lot of very nice, unique, models that we want to buy!! I know it sounds silly, but I'm hoping I might be able to go back for a few other things.

I don't know what kit it was built from I'm afraid. It's a gorgeous thing though!

On 24/02/2022 at 17:31, sem34090 said:

They bought it in a model shop, but I'd rather keep it a little bit quiet which one as there were a lot of very nice, unique, models that we want to buy!! I know it sounds silly, but I'm hoping I might be able to go back for a few other things.

I don't know what kit it was built from I'm afraid. It's a gorgeous thing though!

Rats. Ah well. At least you'll get some interesting new stock. 

It wasn't what I was expecting to start working on, but this has happened overnight -

image.png.8af1ab8f244bdd68f5fecfa8a9a647a9.png

A nice generic branch line terminus with some probably-implausible geography because it looks pretty. It's N Gauge (because for some reason the only track I have any sizeable quantity of at the moment is N gauge!) and will probably start out as something horribly BR Western Region because that's what I've got stock for at the moment. Hoping that I can possibly do something more interesting with it later on.

image.png.919682424a9d408c13156e8ab2ef518f.png

As usual, I'd appreciate some criticism (Although I realise the various implausible bits in the plan), suggestions and also ideas about where this could be set. The locos are a Graham Farish 6400 0-6-0PT and a 3MT 2-6-2T (Both in BR Green), if that helps. Hopefully they can be replaced with more interesting, earlier, things in due course for which I would also appreciate some suggestions!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If you moved the sidings entrance point to the right along the loop,  you could get longer sidings, which wouldn’t look so cramped as now, even if there wasn’t anything to fill them with? (and there’s nothing wrong with empty sidings anyway) You’ve got a nice width to the baseboard, which is good. Then it’s a BLT, and the world’s your lobster, even a BPGV sort of place, just hack the model superstructures about to what you fancy.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't what I was expecting to start working on, but this has happened overnight -

image.png.8af1ab8f244bdd68f5fecfa8a9a647a9.png

A nice generic branch line terminus with some probably-implausible geography because it looks pretty. It's N Gauge (because for some reason the only track I have any sizeable quantity of at the moment is N gauge!) and will probably start out as something horribly BR Western Region because that's what I've got stock for at the moment. Hoping that I can possibly do something more interesting with it later on.

image.png.919682424a9d408c13156e8ab2ef518f.png

As usual, I'd appreciate some criticism (Although I realise the various implausible bits in the plan), suggestions and also ideas about where this could be set. The locos are a Graham Farish 6400 0-6-0PT and a 3MT 2-6-2T (Both in BR Green), if that helps. Hopefully they can be replaced with more interesting, earlier, things in due course for which I would also appreciate some suggestions!

You could get a bit more length in if you ran the track diagonally across the board, or in a sweeping "S" curve...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Northroader said:

If you moved the sidings entrance point to the right along the loop,  you could get longer sidings, which wouldn’t look so cramped as now, even if there wasn’t anything to fill them with? (and there’s nothing wrong with empty sidings anyway) You’ve got a nice width to the baseboard, which is good. Then it’s a BLT, and the world’s your lobster, even a BPGV sort of place, just hack the model superstructures about to what you fancy.

I did try doing that, but the geometry of the Fleischmann track I'm currently compelled to use is such that it just wasn't quite working out in a way which flowed in a way I like. I am envisaging constructing a slightly larger, better thought out, version on a proper board at some point so it's definitely something to think about for then.

Interesting that you mention the BP&GVR as I went on a little exploration of that on Sunday and ended up coming across a couple of the cut-down 08s on a farm near Burry Port mixed in with some GUVs and a couple of other assorted MK1 vehicles (including the dreaded Leyland-bodied MK1). Doing a cut-down 03 or 08 could be interesting in N.

4 hours ago, 45655 said:

You could get a bit more length in if you ran the track diagonally across the board, or in a sweeping "S" curve...

I also tried this, but the track has again proved a constraint (and funds are a bit tight to source replacement material!). Something to think about for the future plans I have in mind, though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

It would, of course, look far better in 2FS, but then I would say that, wouldn't I!  :jester:

Jim (There doesn't seem to be an emoticon of someone with a big spoon stirring things!)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, Northroader said:

Just looking at it, I was thinking Llanfair Caerinion in pre preservation days.

4AFD52B4-C6CE-426A-B154-9407041CFCEF.jpeg.6f207823b507e353c3af479ee3264b3f.jpeg 

Entirely coincidental! But I do like that. I may have to build a 009 version!

There's been a little bit more progress today -

IMG_20220309_135644_2.jpg.60a3e152add3cb84cf6f809e911f2b26.jpg

• Like 4

• sem34090 changed the title to sem34090's Workbench, Layout and General Wittering

So, it's that time of year again (this seems to have become a seasonal 'Spring Months Only' sort of service!).

What's been happening?

No.3.jpg.b3f7192a0c5f3a541ea4ddaa5b05094b.jpg

Well I ceased to be a student in April last year because quite frankly it was all going to pot and remote learning was not for me in any way, shape or form. By the goodwill of the Talyllyn Railway I was able to stay in Wales through the summer as a subsidised volunteer working to fill gaps in the Guards' roster. I got my 'Passed Assistant Guard' card in May and have since then undertaken some 85 or so guarding duties both alone and with Assistant and Trainee Guards. Some of these duties have been tenuously pre-grouping in nature (Not that the Talyllyn was ever grouped into anything) and have seen me enjoy the delights of the railway's original 1860s Van.

2072838946_VanNo.5.jpg1a.jpg.e5fd8b4ae68fc89b8051bae6f4397c4f.jpg

This did take up rather a lot of my time last year so although I was getting a pretty good railway fix, not a lot of modelling has happened.

That is not to say that things have been entirely dead on that front -

Models.jpg1a.jpg.0f61f52d98e36f4e375902c0ae38aa95.jpg

A visit to the wonderful Narrow Gauge South show in April last year saw an awful lot of new acquisitions, a couple of which are seen here. Knowing that I would be spending the summer on the Talyllyn I decided it was about time to start accumulating some models of Talyllyn stock. A Bachmann Rheneas was purchased alongside a Narrow Planet 'Dolgochification' kit, a substantial quantity of slate wagons, coaches and brake vans (although the model of Coach No.4 'Lulu' I already had and the ex-GVT coach belongs to a friend, as does the model of Loco No.4). A 3D print for No.6 Douglas was also bought at the show. The model of No.9 Alf, in the foreground, was a later eBay purchase and much like the prototype has proven to be extremely reliable. These various little projects occupied the summer evenings but many of them are still incomplete!

009.jpg1a.jpg.9282129ddbdaf383a8ef576de209b359.jpg

After services finished for the season, I went to stay with a friend through the winter and attentions turned to producing something for these various locos to run on. A little Pizza-type layout (albeit on a square 'board') has been produced and awaits further development. The Peco George England 0-4-0STT was a gift for the aforementioned friend on their birthday but I would be rather partial to one myself at some point - they're fantastic little runners.

With a brief return to Talyllyn duties over the Christmas and New Year period, December saw a flurry of what may be described as 12ins/ft scale modelling both in narrow and standard gauge varieties. Work has been ongoing with keeping the London Transport Traction Group's Class 483 EMU's in a presentable state and after Christmas an unexpectedly large working party of Talyllyn Young Members cosmetically refreshed four-and-a-half of the railway's wagons over the space of a few days, some of which will be featuring in this week's photo charters.

IMG_20221230_173200.jpg1a.jpg.dad58f1ba860b644451d271d488faaef.jpg

IMG_20230121_114200.jpg1a.jpg.fbd111b393e9fbc3e7dd7e4de2e4c333.jpg

There have been a couple of other new additions to my collection over the past year, both of which are arguably appropriate for this section of the forum. The first, in November, came from a trip to Cardiff with some friends in the form of a rather nice rendition of an SER F (I think?) finished in Wainwright livery. As far as I can tell most of this loco has been constructed from card and a very nice job has been done of it. Unfortunately this also means that it's rather light so some work will be needed to get better performance out of it.

773513208_SER4-4-0.jpg1a.jpg.f59288fd9cb67e2e4b1440422b85ec02.jpg

The other was one of the delightful Bachmann Quarry Hunslets, Nesta in Penhryn lined black being the choice. She runs like a dream and the hope is that having such a small, reliable, 009 loco will open up some new layout possibilities. 

Nesta.jpg.5e2c144780ecb3b4fdc3cfd0c87cccd7.jpg

February saw a very substantial, and in some regards very distressing, change in my circumstances but in the aftermath of that I've ended up with a job and have now taken up residence in Tywyn properly which allows a decent amount of time on the Talyllyn but also means I now have a place of my own in which to hopefully build a suitably small layout. Many abortive projects over the years but perhaps now, finally, there is a chance that a layout will materialise and be seen through to some semblance of completion!!

Incidentally, the space which I have pencilled in as a potential layout space is 4ft x 15ins, beside my (sadly unusable) fireplace, if anyone has any suggestions.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6