• RMweb Gold

I just used normal paper,

That’s one way to get past the rough finish of 3D printing...

but would be interested to see results with white transfer paper!

...although that wouldn’t be! Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

Any and all of them!!! I enjoy doing them, but where someone else has already done them I'd rather use those!

For now though, here's the ammended R1 Sheet, colour matched from the terrier, both for green and Indian red. Interestingly they match up well with pictures I took of No.263 before Hornby cunningly repainted her to match their model... :jester:

Thank you so much for these! I've given these a try and they come up beautifully on my work's colour laser printer. Certainly a huge step forward from the South Eastern Finecast transfers I had used before! However, they didn't seem to print at quite the right size for me - the tank lining and the bunker lining were a little too large. I only printed onto plain paper, so I'll have to try re-sizing slightly, but they certainly give an excellent finish.

Is there any chance you could be persuaded to modify the sheets slightly and provide two bunker sides with no numbers? (There would appear to be space) I've been using the Roxey Mouldings etched brass numbers, as I like the relief they give, but they don't look right over the printed ones.

post-793-0-44812800-1516046707_thumb.jpgpost-793-0-22226400-1516046714_thumb.jpg

These photos show the difference from just changing the tank-side lining.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 10

Glad to see you like them!

I'll have to look at the scaling on that: they seem to fit my R1, but maybe I used a smaller scaled one. I did do two versions, small and large, so perhaps I used the small one on mine.

I'll try again! And I'll add some un-numbered ones for you as well.

I've had to tweak the proportions a little. I suspect our laser printer at work isn't calibrated quite correctly as when the lining is scaled correctly for the tank height, it is not long enough on my model, despite fitting nicely on Gary's. However, the purchase of some white waterslide paper and careful overlays of the end lining have given me this, which I think is well worth the work. The transfer paper plus laser printer toner gives a nice satin sheen that matches the paintwork very nicely. Incidentally, the green on the transfers is, to my eye, on this printer, a spot-on match for Phoenix Precision SE&CR green. Thank you so much for your work on this. Now to do the boiler band lining...

post-793-0-66704900-1516391008_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 6

Really glad they worked out for you Linny: As I'm going to say to Gary (I'm multitasking: writing two posts at once! Who says men can't multitask!) any moment now, I am honoured that people are finding these of use, and I may do a few others off the back of it.

Interesting to see that they work on transfer paper too, and that I got the green close enough. My one uses a darker green to match the original paper colour.

Reminds me to finish mine at some stage! Might re-do it with phoenix green though. I will try and get the numberless bunker sides done up for you tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 2

A while ago now I put together a sheet of various tests for coach side colours, and I'd basically like to ask if there are any howlers in there, or anything really major I've missed out. Please note I'm still working out how to do liveries based on various varnished woods (Teak, Mahogany, etc...)

post-33498-0-91792000-1516401954_thumb.png

I might try and put one together for loco liveries.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 6

Interesting to see that they work on transfer paper too, and that I got the green close enough. My one uses a darker green to match the original paper colour.

When I did a test print on normal printer paper (before the £1 a sheet white transfer paper!), I noticed the colour was darker than on the transfer paper. I think the glossy surface of the transfer paper means that less toner stuck to the surface, giving a slightly lighter finish? Either way, it woks beautifully!

The only howler I notice in the coach panels is you appear to have invented the Glasgow and West Southern Railway inside the panels!

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

After all this time... and you're the first person to notice! I've shown that to at least a dozen people before posting it here, and one of them was a Scottish modeller!

Oh, and I forgot to remove some excess lining on the LBSCR Umber version.

Interesting about the different papers though...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The GER livery is very late, circa 1919 onwards. Might be worth noting.

Prior to that, unlined teak, or simple brown paint on lesser stock and as the teak started to get shabby.

Either way, it woks beautifully!

Frying tonight?

• RMweb Premium

Highland, Cambrian, MSWJR, M & GNR, and a clutch in South Wales. Then perhaps split the SECR into the SER and the LCDR.

Edit ps, forgot to add my compliments on what you have done.

Edited by Northroader

Highland, Cambrian, MSWJR, M & GNR, and a clutch in South Wales. Then perhaps split the SECR into the SER and the LCDR.

Edit ps, forgot to add my compliments on what you have done.

The MSWJR ended up with something that was basically MR livery with different lettering. Prior to 1894-6 (accounts vary) they used the SM&AR brown and cream livery, like the GWR but with cream waist panels and no obvious lining of the beading. Presumably ends were painted brown. If that's any help...

Will need to add all the other liveries in due course...

Meanwhile, work continues on the L1, I've started to look for Manning Wardle Drawings, and I have now bought a book containing drawings of a variety of Stroudley locos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Will need to add all the other liveries in due course...

Meanwhile, work continues on the L1, I've started to look for Manning Wardle Drawings, and I have now bought a book containing drawings of a variety of Stroudley locos.

I have a few sets of Manning Wardle drawings! I have the M Class on already on my laptop, and I have some more in paper form. I will try and get the scanned tomorrow and I can send you a full set!!

Gary

Well, of only to prove that I can rise above my Jealousy pride at not having an LSWR A12, unlike the chairman of the Castle Aching PCC, I think I'll have to get the drawings I have for this class photographed, as they are too big to be scanned!

Would someone be kind enough as to compare the A12's key chassis measurements to those of the GWR 1400 Class 0-4-2 or the LSWR Classes M7 and T9?

I would be much obliged...

Good Day.

E. Missenden.

• Like 1