A while ago now I put together a sheet of various tests for coach side colours, and I'd basically like to ask if there are any howlers in there, or anything really major I've missed out. Please note I'm still working out how to do liveries based on various varnished woods (Teak, Mahogany, etc...)

attachicon.gifSample.png

I might try and put one together for loco liveries.

Hi,

Some nice panels but can I make a correction

Glasgow & South Western Railway was G&SWR not as you have it. Waist panels on coaching stock had semicircular ends and upper panels had curved corners at the top but square on the bottom. There were a few coaches where the upper panels were curved top and bottom but they were ex M&GSW Joint stock of Midland design. There was a fine crimson line 1/8” between the straw and the black lining but your drawing is probably too small to show that up. I don’t even attempt it in 7mm scale! The Garter Crest was not used on coaching stock other than on the internal linoleum and carpets.

The G&SWR NEVER missed out the ampersand on correspondence, advertising or on rolling stock and never used GSWR which is a sloppy abbreviation which causes confusion with the GS&WR, an Irish Railway.

Ian

Send me a map of Oak Hill, Please, Pretty Please with a Cuckoo on top!

It would take me a while, but I want an LBSCR pre-grouping route for myself, just need to reskin some Bluebell Railway assets, and we're sorted! If I were to do it, I'd probably use the Spa Valley as a base, or the Lavender Line, and work outwards towards Lewes and to Tunbridge Wells SECR, plus Oak Hill of Course!

So, Terriers. We'll start with two versions of SECR 751 (ex-Waddon) and a Birdcage set...

attachicon.gifSECR 751 (1).png

attachicon.gifSECR 751 (2).png

attachicon.gifSECR 751 (3).png

attachicon.gifBirdcage.png

Then a very special Terrier - Hailsham!

attachicon.gifHailsham.png

attachicon.gifHailsham1.png

attachicon.gifHailsham2.png

And finally, my choice of Terriers, should I ever complete their branchline and bother to write some sort of script!

attachicon.gifB&W.png

Particularly nice shots, though I suspect that you will need to replace that Birdcage 3-set with a pre-loosened rice pudding skin if it's to have a chance of moving them.

Then again, this is railways in the Matrix, so normal physical constraints do not apply!

There is actually a paradox going on with 751! Wainwright lined green 751 at the front, grey 751 at the back! Surely two terrier can manage 3 coaches?! As for Hailsham's train, that's got Bramley and Wonersh on the back to provide assistance up the 1 in 60 gradients of the Norford branch...

EDIT: I tried an IOW A1x on the level with an SR green birdcage set, and I hit a 1 in 100 gradient just outside Ryde St John's (IOW Network route on UKtrainsim) and promptly stopped, with the reg open and the wheels spinning, before gradually skidding back down the hill! The terrier is pretty realistic as TS models GO.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2

Then I'll do a few Caley designs... a certain RMwebber may be pleased to hear this, as they will be designed (hopefully) with 2mmFS in mind as well as N. 

OOOOh!  You are a tease!!   Give me a clue and I might be persuaded to design an etched chassis for them.  Of course they will be to my own idiosyncratic system of below footplate drive from tender to loco and beam compensated loco chassis.   :-)

The aforesaid RMwebber

Aren't I just!

Aforesaid RMwebber? YOU!

I was thinking 812 to start with? Or anything remotely similar to an LSWR design. I might do a little Highland and NBR stuff too... but that comes after the LSWR, LBSCR and SECR stuff.

• RMweb Gold

All the buildings are pre-grouping, they just need the green bits reskinning and, as it's a heritage route this one will need a bit of carpark removing.

Not with that signal!! You want a nice slotted post to sit beside that terrier!!

Gary

• Like 1

I thought the Brighton got that style later on. They're LNWR ones at any rate, but they were better than GWR ones! The NYMR routes comes with NER split-post semaphores, but they're the only ones. Pre-Grouping for TS is even more deplorable at present than RTR Railway 'Modelling', but what is there is to a pretty good standards.

I thought the Brighton got that style later on. They're LNWR ones at any rate, but they were better than GWR ones! The NYMR routes comes with NER split-post semaphores, but they're the only ones. Pre-Grouping for TS is even more deplorable at present than RTR Railway 'Modelling', but what is there is to pretty good standards.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Stepney was lurking just out of sight in that last shot of Hailsham, wearing his (?) 1960's Bluebell Black livery...

1960's and 2010 I think.

Somebody say "Stepney"? :P What a pity that a 4mm scale RTR "Stepney" hasn't been produced since Dapol days (and no, I'm not including the Hornby Thomas one with the face!)

attachicon.gifStepney.png

That's OK I have 2!!! One of them will find a new identity at some point, but I haven't decided which one yet!!!

Gary

I was thinking 812 to start with?

An 812 would be a good idea as they lasted well into both the periods following the one in which the esteemed members of this area are interested.

(note that I have not mentioned either of those periods by name in the hope of avoiding any need to do penance.)

Jim

Well, um, Stepney is at Wooton, facing towards Ryde, so from there one could get a ferry to Portsmouth!

The SECR Pair are using a different headcode system, I would guess.

And Hailsham, Bramley and Wonersh together is pretty special, and who knows where 'Norford' is? For all you know it could be an LBSCR line from Guildford to Fareham, then on to Portsmouth, or something! Either way, the Norford branch is a ficticious heritage line, so maybe they're ignorant and used the code to represent an express?!?!

May I ask roughly where Oak Hill is? I could do up a map if you like? I seem to remember you saying the junction was somewhere near Groombridge, but I can't remember exactly! I think the Spa Valley may be the best starting point, as part of the trackbed is at least already there, along with assets for Eridge, Groombridge and Tunbridge Wells West. I think Hellingly (That was on the Cuckoo line, wasn't it?) was to a similar design as those on the Lewes-East Grinstead, so that shouldn't be an issue. Oak Hill station should therefore also be fine...

I'd probably do several versions for you, starting with Split Post no signals, and certain modern-ish bits removed (When was High-Rocks Railmotor Halt opened?), then progress through time until I hit the Oak Hill branch's closure in 1965 (?) and its subsequent use first as an industrial line, then as part of the Spa Valley Railway. This last version will, most likely, appear first as it is far and away the easiest to do! I also need to get someone to reskin some track so it has Shingle Ballast and the sleepers are invisible, and a version where they are visible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now that is an offer I think I would have to take you up on!!!

Oak Hill replaces the real world village of Penshurst http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=51.1717&lon=0.1828&layers=6&right=BingHyb

From here I imagine the line heading south with a station in Fordcombe, where there could also be a branch heading off to the west to a Quarry which is marked on the 1888 OS map.

The line would head south from Fordcombe before joining up with what is now the Spa Valley with the junction facing towards Groombridge Station.

Gary