post-33498-0-43878400-1517099044_thumb.jpg

So, much of today Yesterday was spent photographing lovely 0-4-0 tank engines at Didcot, as potential CAD-fodder in the future: 1338, WTC No.5 'Shannon' and 'Bonnie Prince Charlie'. Didcot's always worth a visit, even on a day like to day when it's torrential rain and there's nothing in steam.

T. Ired

• Like 3

So, a diversion from CAD!

I have just won this on ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

It was listed as an 0-6-0T, and this is understandable given the chassis has holes for 3 sets of driving wheels. As such it gained little attention from those who may have been looking for what it actually is! I kept quiet about it on here for that very reason... didn't want any of you lot snapping it up! 

As some of you will have guessed/been told already (Gary...) or may have gathered by another posting I've made, this is in fact an LBSCR Class E5 0-6-2T. I was actually trying to get hold of a cheap whitemetal kit to build, but I saw this and couldn't refuse! £20 isn't cheap for a loco body, but it's reasonable, especially when you consider I effectively have all the bits to finish it off at home already. I will most likely put this on a Bachmann E4 chassis, then reuse bits from the E4 body to finish this to a high standard. The E4 Shell can then be backdated and can await a chassis... I have an umber one already, so another one can wait! The E5 will be finished in IEG as No.575 'Westergate'. I will be putting together a livery sheet for it, so if anyone here has any requests for E5 names/numbers to be included on the sheet, please post them here and I will (try!) and do them for you. 

24211240220_dd72d422f4_b.jpg

Of course, I could possibly use the bodyshell to form the basis for a backdated E4, using the Splashers off the Bachmann model. Solves the issue of the E4's wheels being too small for an E5! I would rather use the E4 chassis than my Dublo R1 Chassis (Currently sat underneath my Taff Vale U1) as the E4 chassis is chipped and runs a lot better!

Any thoughts?

I enclose a photo of what, to me at least, looks like an IEG E4, as the splashers are too small for an E5?

Portchester.jpg

None of the above images are my own and they belong to their respective copyright holders.

• Like 5

Thanks Michael!

I will be getting some more interesting stuff posted before too long. If there's anything in the way of livery sheets or 3D prints you want to see me do then please post them here, or in a PM if you like.

E. Missenden

Following a query from Michael, I've decided to post here a rough outline of how I start a CAD model for a steam loco, in this case an LBSCR Class L 4-6-4 'Baltic' Tank:

post-33498-0-80787900-1517353815_thumb.jpg

The base drawing taken from a huge folder of SECR, LBSCR, LSWR & SR tank engines that a friend had given to me.

post-33498-0-96880200-1517353837_thumb.png

A red block: this will have been measured out at 20ft long, as that is the only measurement given on the drawing.

post-33498-0-30453500-1517353858_thumb.png

The drawing is imported into Sketchup, but is the wrong scale and the wrong way round.

post-33498-0-85135800-1517353873_thumb.png

The drawing rotated, but not yet scaled.

post-33498-0-95418100-1517353892_thumb.png

The drawing re-scaled so that the 20ft length of the cuboid matches the 20ft length marked on the drawing.

post-33498-0-08219700-1517353908_thumb.png

The red cuboid is deleted, and the drawing is sectioned into side and end.

post-33498-0-29960900-1517353929_thumb.png

The lines between them are then deleted.

post-33498-0-57923400-1517353950_thumb.png

The end views are then rotated and placed perpendicular to the side drawing at key points.

post-33498-0-37214100-1517353970_thumb.png

The drawings are then trimmed as appropiate.

post-33498-0-30249500-1517353992_thumb.png

The footplate profile is then drawn, using the side drawing as a guide, then it is extruded to the edge of the footplate, as marked on the end drawing.

post-33498-0-51366800-1517354019_thumb.png

The boiler barrel is then created using a combination of the end and side drawings. From here it is more or less a case of drawing round bits of the drawing and extruding them, but making sure that photos 'agree' with what you're doing!

I hope someone finds this helpful, if only to see what I'm doing right/wrong or why I need/want drawings! I also hope that it helps to show why the model begins life as a true-to scale model, with any adjustments to fit a chassis coming later when the model is all-but complete. The full-size true to scale model will be finished first, then the model will be scaled to whichever scale is required. It is after the re-scaling that the model is adjusted, and it will be saved after re-scaling and before the adjustments in order that a scale version can be offered alongside the compromised one.

E. Missenden

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1

post-33498-0-02951200-1517437275_thumb.jpg

Just photographed the drawings for the LSWR Adams A12, above, so hopefully work will start on that tomorrow, if everything goes according to plan. They are not of the best quality, the photos of the drawings, so if anyone here is able to send me nice scanned copies that aren't wonky, and as such don't have flaws that need ironing out, then I would very much appreciate it!

All the best,

E. Missenden

• Like 2

I've decided to post here a rough outline of how I start a CAD model for a steam loco, in this case an LBSCR Class L 4-6-4 'Baltic' Tank

The base drawing taken from a huge folder of SECR, LBSCR, LSWR & SR tank engines that a friend had given to me.

This approach makes much more sense than mine, I just tend to start from scratch with a few key dimensions. Is that SketchUp you're using? 

Also, you wouldn't happen to have drawings for the SECR R class (0-6-0 version) and the crane tank 0-4-0, would you? They'd be very handy for something I may be planning...

post-33498-0-19809800-1517528550_thumb.png

More pre-grouping splendour in Train Sim! Soon the Caley will be better represented in 'V' (Virtual?!) Scale than in any other, as the 812 is currently in development with Digital Traction, who produced the fantastic No.123 above!

• Like 5

Indeed... £12.50 mind, but worth every penny!

Comes with the coaches too...

You get both her 1923 LMS-Rebuilt form (As shown above and as preserved) and her original form.

The following liveries are included:

CR Dark Blue (Both shapes: two tender insignias)

CR Drummond Blue (Original only - extra lining)

CR Light Blue (Both shapes)
CR Royal Blue (Original only - Brown Bordering to lettering and white coal in tender)

CR Photographic Grey (Original only)

LMS Lined Lake (1923 Shape only)

LMS Lined Black (1923 Shape only)

The coaches come in CR Livery and both P1 and P3 LMS livery.

I saw a preview of this via the CRA forum. Though I'm not into virtual modelling I am seriously tempted!

Jim. edited to correct the dreaded predictive text ;-(

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 1

It really is a very nice addon, and if/when the CR Reskins for the M7 are released again, and when the 812 comes out within the next few months then the Caley will be much better represented in virtual form than in real model form!

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif123.png

More pre-grouping splendour in Train Sim! Soon the Caley will be better represented in 'V' (Virtual?!) Scale than in any other, as the 812 is currently in development with Digital Traction, who produced the fantastic No.123 above!

Where’s the tommy bar for tightening the screw coupling?

And why is the wheel profile so poor - it’s not as if it will fall off the track.

Most CR passenger tender locos only had a 'D' link at the front. It was normally carried resting back against the front of the footplate. The train coupling was the one normally used.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

Maybe Digital Traction based their wheel profile on Triang's?! That said, looking at pictures of 123 her wheel profile does look quite chunky, but maybe not that chunky.

I suppose the coupling issue may be attributed to the fact it's in LMS Post-Rebuild condition, but in Caley Livery. Given she wasn't permitted to run in reverse with a train (The thistles on the buffers and lack of tender lamp irons put paid to that!) maybe a coupling such as you describe was not deemed as a requirement, Simon?

• RMweb Gold

I’m with Jim: just the D-link.

But if it was a screw coupling, then there needs to be something for tightening the screw, and is the tommy bar.

What we have as an incorrect representation of something which isn’t there... :)