14 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Doesn’t look much like the “Met”.

I think that must be the Chorleywood Massif in the background. 

On 30/06/2019 at 17:18, sem34090 said:

Today took me to one of my favourite preserved lines in the country - The Tanfield Railway.

IMG_20190630_131208.jpg

It's only a small affair, 3 miles in length, but is an absolute gem - No tender locos and not a MK1 in sight. Though not the oldest coaches on the line (being relatively modern and built on GWR Bloater chassis) the open-veranda coaches are particularly nice when couple behind open-backed locos such as No.2 here. Not only is this nice going backwards, with the line stretching out behind, but going forwards it's truly wonderful, permitting conversation with the crew as well as watching what they're doing.

The other wonder of Tanfield is the yard, full of old locos and coaches. Wonderful to wander around, and I got a bit further back in the yard than I did last time. After a few jaunts behind No.2 and a look at the marvellous piece of wagonway engineering that is the Causey Arch I headed on to the NRM store at Shildon, possessing as it does yet more delights. 

Tomorrow I have to attend to the business that brought me up here before returning South. It's been a fantastic couple of days up here and I hope to return this summer and hopefully a rather longer period next year.

Still looking for wagon and motorised clerestory ideas, if anyone has them...

I love the Tanfield.  Must go again over the summer. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

59 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Doesn’t look much like the “Met”.

Ah, well it's C Stock so it's unlikely to have been found on the Met - You've clearly never been out Acton way, have you my friend?

41 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I think that must be the Chorleywood Massif in the background. 

See my above comment - It's actually a prototype invisibility device for cloaking suburbs - underneath that lot is actually Ealing...

41 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I love the Tanfield.  Must go again over the summer. 

Tanfield is perhaps the only place of any length (Other than the tiny MSLR) that truly captures a light railway/industrial atmosphere.

What are you on about, man?!

The only railway stations in Acton are Acton Town, South Acton, North Acton, East Acton... Ealing Broadway offers a glimpse at the aliens... That strange world they call the Great Western...

Edited by sem34090

2 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Ah, well it's C Stock so it's unlikely to have been found on the Met - You've clearly never been out Acton way, have you my friend?

See my above comment - It's actually a prototype invisibility device for cloaking suburbs - underneath that lot is actually Ealing...

Tanfield is perhaps the only place of any length (Other than the tiny MSLR) that truly captures a light railway/industrial atmosphere.

So far as I was concerned, "C69" refers to a Great Western Third Class coach from the far future (my prediction for its advent is the late 1930s)

• Funny 1

On 02/03/2019 at 07:49, sem34090 said:

Now, I seem to have begun CAD work again recently, for my own purposes. I mentioned in the SECR 4-6-0 thread that I've now drawn one up. Hopefully the prototype print has arrived with its owner.

Since then I've also drawn up the KESR's Hawthorn Leslie 0-8-0T Hecate, which should fit a Bachmann ROD chassis.

The most recent developments have been thanks to the proprietor of CDC Design, known as L49 on these boards. These have been some shortened District Railway coaches for the Blackstone & Marshland Railway, then this (as a bit of fun):

1028664120_LondonandBlackwall(Modernised)GER.png.2b9403cedf7cbb75c0ed684b2a040909.png.34ef080c2db52f8ff36db8cd036a86bd.png

It's a (very!) freelance Worsdellised (?) London & Blackwall Railway 2-2-2WT, which started out like this:

1996227220_LondonandBlackwall1.png.d9282854cdae4464421b860948329bf3.png.f54e573c57cecc3130d8537a97550ad9.png

I think that any CAD I do for myself that prints alright via a supplier I can sell through, I'll offer it for sale. But I won't be doing much and there's no guarantee of my offering it for sale.

Hi Sem, 

The dainty Crew type in the second image, I am trying to get my hands on one in 4mm. Do you or anyone else sell it through Shapeways, Imaterialise or thier own shop?? 

On 03/07/2019 at 18:46, Martin S-C said:

Dude. Hit me up. Would enjoy a day out there. In good company is even better.

Anyone else?

On 03/07/2019 at 19:15, Edwardian said:

Sorry, I don't speak Jive, but we should certainly have a day out at the Tanfield.

13 hours ago, sem34090 said:

The Blackwall tank isn't currently available, but I shall see what I can do to make it available! :)

Nice. I'm intrigued by it myself. Any potential of an Easternised version? 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Nice. I'm intrigued by it myself. Any potential of an Easternised version? 

Already done! ;)

1028664120_LondonandBlackwall(Modernised)GER.png.2b9403cedf7cbb75c0ed684b2a040909.png

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Well, never mind about that - Here it is!
https://www.shapeways.com/product/HT9TTQ7UW/london-blackwall-railway-2-2-2wt-modernised?optionId=111649399

image.png.7c63c9452cc43081cd54be0c4f9f00aa.png

I am assured that the 'proper' version of the L&BR 2-2-2WT will appear on the CDC Designs Shapeways shop soon. 

To run through the features of the modernised one:

- New Sprung-Type buffers replacing old leather-pad type.

- New Worsdell Boiler

- New Worsdell cab, extended side-sheets.

- Coal Rails.

- GER Destination Board slots on smokebox.

I apologise for the ridiculously high pricing of this, and other, models but in terms of selling Shapeways is the only option really open to me. If anyone has a better printer and wants to try and print any model on it then I am happy to send them the .stl file for that purpose.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

9 hours ago, Killian keane said:

Very nice design,  whats the intention on how to handle the slidebars/frames and crosshead interface? Thats the reason Ive avoided locos with buddicom type frames

To be quite honest, Killian, I hadn't thought about this as I didn't draw up the original CAD! I shall report back later!

I see there's a proviso on the Shapeways site about this being unsuitable for motorisation. I think, though, if you just used the body and built brass frames I see no reason why it couldn't be motorised. As Killian says, the issue would be with the mechanical parts in the slidebars, cylinders, etc. and you could hide the actual mechanism behind the 3D printed cylinders in some manner.

36 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I see there's a proviso on the Shapeways site about this being unsuitable for motorisation. I think, though, if you just used the body and built brass frames I see no reason why it couldn't be motorised.

That isn't the issue - Other 3D Printed locos have 3D printed chassis that work perfectly well. My actual problem is that, as it is currently, there's very little room inside for a motor and some weight.

As Killian says, the issue would be with the mechanical parts in the slidebars, cylinders, etc. and you could hide the actual mechanism behind the 3D printed cylinders in some manner.

I will have a think, might yet come up with something.

For those of you seeking one of these locos in prototypical London & Blackwall Condition, it is now available via the CDC Designs Shapeways shop, along with a Manning Wardle K Class:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/F7XSJLZ2X/london-and-blackwall-rly-2-2-2wt?optionId=111693384

image.png.0f234bf4b1cffb9248f823cb35dd0c26.png

https://www.shapeways.com/product/RHXKRGVA2/manning-wardle-k-class?optionId=111693758

image.png.1d68029de0b5257b7465793399eb6b65.png

Unfortunately the 'modernised' Blackwall tank is more expensive due to it's being larger (height-wise) and using more material.

Expect more models based on CDC Designs' CAD in the future! :) 

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1