Thanks for the advice!

I didn't make it clear that the smaller station will essentially form a separate scene to hide the fiddle yard: there will be a small non-scenic section between the two.

I need to review the 'loop' situation...

• RMweb Premium

I’ve just done a rebuild of my Washbourne line, the basic issue being that having a small station in front of the fiddle yard makes it damn nigh inaccessible for operating it. Now the small station has gone, (it would have made a nice little job as a stand-alone,) and the fiddle yard is out in the open and getattable. If you take your line to a show, you can always rig a screen, but I enjoy looking at fiddle yards at shows, as there’s more rolling stock to look at anyways. So, I’d be inclined to keep the green already built bit away from the rest?

• Like 1

Going back to the G6, T3 and A12, I'm still trying to work out which chassis to use for my initial test sample, not necessarily for the final product.

For the G6 I have:

NER Class E1 0-6-0T (Mainline)

GWR Class 2251 0-6-0 (Mainline)

GWR Class 5700 0-6-0PT (Bachmann)

LBSCR Class A1 0-6-0T (Hornby)

SECR Class R1 0-6-0T (Dublo)

LMS Class 3F 0-6-0T (Triang & Hornby)

LMS Claas 3F 0-6-0T (Bachmann)

Hunslet 'Austerity' 0-6-0ST

0-6-0T (Electrotren)

T3:

SR Class L1 4-4-0 (Triang)

LSWR Class M7 0-4-4 (Triang & Hornby)

A12:

GWR Class 4800 0-4-2T (Airfix & Dapol)

LSWR Class M7 0-4-4T (Triang)

SR Class L1 4-4-0 (Triang)

I know we've been here before, but I need to sort this somewhat rather urgently. I know that sounds strange, but trust me: it's urgent! TgThe above are the only chassis I can currently access, so other (more appropriate) chassis are a no-go.

If anyone feels they desperately need to know why it's urgent, please PM me.

• RMweb Premium

I like the look of the proposed station plan, but then I suppose I'm looking at with my light railway bias to the fore where short platforms and trains are pretty much the normal thing.  Depending on the space you have for a layout the small station might be fine where it is if the old and familiar method of an overbridge was used as a scenic break.  Such things were commonly done when I was younger before the finescale mindset swept away the older kinds of simple representational approach to layout building.  The fact that half the train was still in the other station yard wasn't a problem because one's attention had shifted to the station where the train was about to arrive.

I will say though that I do agree that having the small station if front of a fiddle yard would swiftly become annoying even if your coupling and uncoupling systems did manage to operate with Swiss watch precision.  Not ever having the desire to exhibit I've always had my fiddle yards open and accessible as it tends to keep unladylike profanity to a minimum. C1ST5Fx.gif 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice!

I didn't make it clear that the smaller station will essentially form a separate scene to hide the fiddle yard: there will be a small non-scenic section between the two.

I need to review the 'loop' situation...

When I wrote ditch the station, I did not mean ditch everything.  Keep the track but get rid of the station buildings and perhaps treat it as your goods yard - hence the comment about reusing the platform as a loading dock.

• RMweb Premium

You can have great fun turning standard guage locos to narrow gauge. I usually tailor them down against a human figure and a chassis such as a Nellie. First an overall shrink, then a bit more off the length, then increase the cab volume to give room for the driver again, and then increase height on the dome and chimney to give a slightly Emett look. (There’s three examples in my gallery)

• Like 1

The Island railways were air-braked, so the Terrier main vacuum supply pipe ( that bit that comes out of the smokebox, and goes to the cab) shouldn't be there. Instead it had a Westinghouse air pump situated on the outside of the cab on the r/h front cab sheet tucked in behind the r/h side side water tank. :sungum:  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91438-bembridge-iow/

Edited by bike2steam

It does have the Westinghouse equipment, but it's interesting to note that, whilst the air braking equipment is optional on the TS model, the Vacuum equipment isn't on the A1x. I hadn't thought of that, but you are quite right!

Well, here's the trackplan. I need criticism! The section shaded in green has already been built, but the rest of the track can be changed. The green section contains the small station 'Salvington' as shown in this thread.attachicon.gif20180214_181353.jpg

That has a nice flow to it.

Apart from the platform road and run round, it is not immediately obvious to me what facilities the other lines represent.  Could you explain your intentions?

The other facilities have yet to be decided. Indeed, the entire trackplan may now be changed. 

Having uploaded the G6 model to i.materialise, I've  just had an email back saying it's too big... I forgot to scale it down to 4mm, so I sent them the file for a full size G6! Now that would be nice...

The other facilities have yet to be decided. Indeed, the entire trackplan may now be changed. 

Can you have a track plan without knowing the facilities they serve?

Well, evidently, you can!

But I would find it confusing not knowing what all the various lines are supposed to do!

• Like 1

The G6 is currently being printed on a poor-quality PLA printer, just to see if it will work!post-33498-0-37325000-1519295943_thumb.j

The cab wall needs thickening at the back, according to shapeways, but it is order-able! Not for sale until I fix it, but uploaded and viewable: https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZAD9PVNAC/lswr-adams-g6-4mm-original-condition?optionId=64872831&li=user-profile

• Like 3

About what?! The shapeways price is actually twice the price of i.materialise who I'm using to get prints done! I am pleased with the model though. At some stage I'll get the drummond chimney and dome versions done.