2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I have a reluctance to approach hobbyists though out of a fear of intruding and causing them extra work. I also do not know many people on her very well yet. Introductions would be very welcome!

Sem, another LSWR milk van customer here... all in good time of course, I've a few other things to build first.

Me too, but the odd nudge in the 'right' direction can't do any harm, and it shows what kind of market there may be for certain items. Mind you, I also have quite a few projects already under way or in the queue...

Peter

• Friendly/supportive 2

I decided that a good way to use my time between revision today was to get a bit of lining and transfer-applying done -

IMG_20190620_213345.jpg

It really doesn't stand up to close inspection, and the boiler bands are deplorable, but on the whole I think I've done a significantly better job on E837 than on my previous lining attempts. I say E837, but it might very likely be renumbered to E828 (E837 was a bit of a whim really) as that loco is a bit earlier (which is good) and is, in preservation, based on the Mid Hants Railway so seems a natural one for me to have really!

Speaking of Mid Hants locos...

IMG_20190620_222329.jpg

My N Class which, like the S15, used to be BR Black, has now become former MHR Resident No.A874. The lining is, once again, a bit dodgy on the lower portions of the tender.

IMG_20190620_222317.jpg

No lining work done here, so it's even ropier still, but my freelance Beyer Peacock 4-4-0 now has an identity. Need to work out how on earth such a machine came to have the number A930, given how high a number it is. I'm currently going on the SECR having had it on the duplicate list and the SR later reinstating it to the main list, after the Zs had been built.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Today saw a bit more lining work done. Once again, all of them are a bit ropey but until I get a decent bowpen and learn how to use it it's the best I can really do. And I'm not currently rich enough for Fox transfers - I will need to try and get hold of some more HMRS SR Numbers and lettering though...

1561143672445-1068581923.jpg

15611437330211125378474.jpg

The whole lot probably needs redoing, but it does the job for now. Really is very messy though. I will try and neaten it up. The safety valve casing may go the same way as the dome...

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

You need two bow pens: A normal one and a small compass one. A lot of your lining can be done with a small compass one. Change the pointy leg for a bit of stiff wire and then you can offset from a straight edge (like the footplate) for most of you lining (even around the splashers).

They don't have to be expensive, I have picked up loads from ebay for next to nothing (I don't think I've paid more than £15 for any of my sets). Try and get a set, I look for the ones with ivorine handles as they tend to be high quality.

Then you have to learn how to clean them up and hone them for use. Its not as difficult as it sounds. Clean them with white spirit to get the ink off, and then with a watchmakers eye glass and some very fine wet and dry, clean the insides of the bow so they are really smooth (or the paint won't flow!). Then to hone lay some of the same wet and dry on the desk and draw the pen over it. I do it so that the pen stands near vertical (its just the way I like to have the pen draw, as its often difficult to get the pen in at a normal writing angle). You don't want a sharp point, a sort of oval one is what you are looking for.

Also I've noticed that some pens will hone fine for both ink and paint, whereas others will work fine with ink, but need more work for paint. Oh and the paint needs to be fairly stiff to work well.

Andy G

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

With a full, authentic, GNR train of course... ;) 

Well, today saw me travelling by train though sadly not behind a Single or in a GNR Coach (though had I tried hard enough I could have managed an LNER Gresley Teak) as I took in the NYMR. 76079 put in a truly wonderful show at the head of 7 MK1s, even if it was lacking a certain pre-grouping something of course. There were some distinctly fast not-exactly-25mph runs going on between Grosmont and Pickering, let alone on to Whitby... 48 mile return trip by steam - Wonderful! I noted some rather nice H&BR coaches at Goathland in addition to the smattering of Gresley teaks. On another note I had, until today, only witnessed this part of the world from the window of a MK1 TSO or maybe a BSO if I was feeling adventurous so to actually drive through them to get to Goathland (where, for various reasons, I started my journey today) and they made rather the positive impression on me - I might very well live on the verge of the South Downs (if being polite about my place of residence!!!) but the moors are truly spectacular. I hope to spend a bit more time here in the future, though it's unlikely.

I also made a significant number of purchases from a small second-hand model railway outfit just outside Grosmont station, mostly for the benefit of their chassis. The majority are assorted Triang, Hornby and Dublo wagons of various ages and in various conditions (£10 for the lot), the other item of interest being a Triang Clerestory that has been motorised with what appears to be a Kitmaster motor bogie, which is very smooth running! I have several ideas for this, more on which in a moment.

The wagons are -

1x Hornby BR Brake van body on old-tooling 10ft wooden-framed chassis.

1x Hornby Dublo BR 20T Brake (The version that passed to Wrenn)

2x Triang NER-Pattern brake van (Probably to donate their chassis to something - I have several of these already)

2x Triang Bogie Flats (To be used to provide chassis to a pair of O-16.5 Bogie Coaches)

1x Hornby supposed-H&BR Van (I have heard suggestions of late that these might not be based on H&B vans - I need to find out what these are as I now have two awaiting detailing and repainting)

1x Hornby (1970s) GWR Toad (To donate chassis to an O-16.5 4-Wheeler)

1x Hornby terrible LWB Open Wagon (As above)

1x Hornby GWR (1970s) 20T Open (As above)

1x Triang GWR Shunters Truck (Suggestions please!)

1x Triang Dropside wagon (Prototype to be found, then we'll work out what to do!)

1x Triang 7-Plank Open (To be converted to LBSCR Open, possibly.)

1x Trix BR Conflat (Suggestions please!)

1x Triang ex-Trackmaster Van (Suggestions please! I have several of these.)

So plenty of extra kitbash fodder.

Now, with the Motorised Clerestory I have some ideas. One is to use it to bash into an early SR EMU (Either a NOL or a SUB probably), but the other is to bash it (using the many other clerestories I now have) into a motor-trailer to go with my currently-non-running K's Terrier. The other option I've considered here is to convert it into the non-driving coach of a push-pull set so that it may also be used in a train of conventional stock to propel other non-motorised locos. I could even convert it into a standard brake coach. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. The coach is a Brake Third, and if I can help it I'd like to the below-illustrated section intact:

image.png.973011c630f702b127ed85bb6f9b54fe.png

This is for the simple reason that this section has been very nicely modified to take the motor bogie and to bash it would interfere with that. Obviously to do the roof isn't an issue. Now, this might very well be impossible and I may have to simply remove the motor bogie and trying to bash a newly-bashed coach. I could very well pop the motor bogie into my already-bashed LBSCR 54ft 3rd if I do that. Any suggestions here are very much appreciated - I have a pad of LBSCR/LSWR/SECR Coach Drawings available for such a purpose.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Well, today saw me travelling by train though sadly not behind a Single or in a GNR Coach (though had I tried hard enough I could have managed an LNER Gresley Teak) as I took in the NYMR. 76079 put in a truly wonderful show at the head of 7 MK1s, even if it was lacking a certain pre-grouping something of course. There were some distinctly fast not-exactly-25mph runs going on between Grosmont and Pickering, let alone on to Whitby... 48 mile return trip by steam - Wonderful! I noted some rather nice H&BR coaches at Goathland in addition to the smattering of Gresley teaks. On another note I had, until today, only witnessed this part of the world from the window of a MK1 TSO or maybe a BSO if I was feeling adventurous so to actually drive through them to get to Goathland (where, for various reasons, I started my journey today) and they made rather the positive impression on me - I might very well live on the verge of the South Downs (if being polite about my place of residence!!!) but the moors are truly spectacular. I hope to spend a bit more time here in the future, though it's unlikely.

I also made a significant number of purchases from a small second-hand model railway outfit just outside Grosmont station, mostly for the benefit of their chassis. The majority are assorted Triang, Hornby and Dublo wagons of various ages and in various conditions (£10 for the lot), the other item of interest being a Triang Clerestory that has been motorised with what appears to be a Kitmaster motor bogie, which is very smooth running! I have several ideas for this, more on which in a moment.

The wagons are -

2x Triang NER-Pattern brake van (Probably to donate their chassis to something - I have several of these already)

2x Triang Bogie Flats (To be used to provide chassis to a pair of O-16.5 Bogie Coaches)

1x Hornby supposed-H&BR Van (I have heard suggestions of late that these might not be based on H&B vans - I need to find out what these are as I now have two awaiting detailing and repainting)

1x Triang Dropside wagon (Prototype to be found, then we'll work out what to do!)

Now, with the Motorised Clerestory I have some ideas. One is to use it to bash into an early SR EMU (Either a NOL or a SUB probably), but the other is to bash it (using the many other clerestories I now have) into a motor-trailer to go with my currently-non-running K's Terrier. The other option I've considered here is to convert it into the non-driving coach of a push-pull set so that it may also be used in a train of conventional stock to propel other non-motorised locos. I could even convert it into a standard brake coach. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. The coach is a Brake Third, and if I can help it I'd like to the below-illustrated section intact:

This is for the simple reason that this section has been very nicely modified to take the motor bogie and to bash it would interfere with that. Obviously to do the roof isn't an issue. Now, this might very well be impossible and I may have to simply remove the motor bogie and trying to bash a newly-bashed coach. I could very well pop the motor bogie into my already-bashed LBSCR 54ft 3rd if I do that. Any suggestions here are very much appreciated - I have a pad of LBSCR/LSWR/SECR Coach Drawings available for such a purpose.

Plenty to keep you busy, from the look of things.

I think a freelance clerestory motor-train driving trailer would be an excellent thing.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I am rather warming to the idea.

I would rather it wasn't freelance but shall resort to that if necessary or if I don't do something else entirely. Any thoughts as to vaguely prototypical bashes?

I think I would finish it in Umber to match the terrier (when I bother to paint it!!!), should I pursue this idea.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Well you'd need a balloon trailer for the Brighton, which is why I though go freelance.

Well, the LBSCR did have some arc-roofed (or elliptical - I never know the difference) driving trailers as part of 2-coach sets so I was imagining that perhaps one of these could have been used on its own on the Blackstone West branch, a two-coach set having been allocated to the branch but traffic volumes not usually warranting it, perhaps?

4 minutes ago, Northroader said:

3A7E6B4F-CBB2-4752-89DB-D0ACA1DBE8A9.jpeg.a592ff439a12ee3a3ce50beb560bd178.jpeg

To help along your love of the NER, you could combine your motorised clerestory with a dummy BTP?

It's very tempting but I need to try and keep to the LBSCR... Or the Southern at least...

I suppose another freelance option would be to bash the coach into an LBSCR design of some kind, and then convert that to a motor trailer? Not based off of a real motor trailer, but assuming a conversion for this particular branch?

4 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Well, the LBSCR did have some arc-roofed (or elliptical - I never know the difference) driving trailers as part of 2-coach sets so I was imagining that perhaps one of these could have been used on its own on the Blackstone West branch, a two-coach set having been allocated to the branch but traffic volumes not usually warranting it, perhaps?

It's very tempting but I need to try and keep to the LBSCR... Or the Southern at least...

The lower roofed profile was the arc-roofed design. The balloon coaches were also described as elliptical. You don't have to worry about having just a single arc-roofed driving trailer as a number were built to be used singly or in pairs. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

The wagons are -

Well, the shunter's truck would be useful as part of a breakdown train, along with one of the conflats and one of the brake vans.

Today took me to one of my favourite preserved lines in the country - The Tanfield Railway.

IMG_20190630_131208.jpg

It's only a small affair, 3 miles in length, but is an absolute gem - No tender locos and not a MK1 in sight. Though not the oldest coaches on the line (being relatively modern and built on GWR Bloater chassis) the open-veranda coaches are particularly nice when couple behind open-backed locos such as No.2 here. Not only is this nice going backwards, with the line stretching out behind, but going forwards it's truly wonderful, permitting conversation with the crew as well as watching what they're doing.

The other wonder of Tanfield is the yard, full of old locos and coaches. Wonderful to wander around, and I got a bit further back in the yard than I did last time. After a few jaunts behind No.2 and a look at the marvellous piece of wagonway engineering that is the Causey Arch I headed on to the NRM store at Shildon, possessing as it does yet more delights. 

Tomorrow I have to attend to the business that brought me up here before returning South. It's been a fantastic couple of days up here and I hope to return this summer and hopefully a rather longer period next year.

Still looking for wagon and motorised clerestory ideas, if anyone has them...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

On 29 June 2019 at 19:52, sem34090 said:

You might want to take a look at John Lewis's book on GWR Autotrailers - in the section on petrol railcars there is a drawing and details of a proposed bogie clerestory petrol railcar. Not quite a straight conversion of the Triang coach of course, but who's to say, as it never was built. Main differences, as shown on the drawing, are large windows in the ends, and guards duckets at the very ends, rather like LBSC four wheelers

• Informative/Useful 1

It's a thought! But it is, however, GWR... And that might be a problem...

One thought is to carefully remove the sides and ends of the brake end, leaving the floor to hold the motor bogie, and replace that section with a 3D Printed LBSCR Replacement?

You really ought to - A look at their stock list ought to be enough to tempt! Not only did they have no MK1s operating, but they have none there at all and only two bogie coaches one being an NER Clerestory, the other being later NER Suburban stock.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1