I pretty much stick to British models for my sound installs so it was nice to be sent this Australian model to work on. There was more space than I expected so I used two 25x25x7 megabass speakers which seem to suit the sound really well.

IMG_3899.jpeg.ced8b20b9c961030245b2f49b0399828.jpeg

Richard

• Like 4

Here's a model I've been wanting to finish off for some time, I had another but it ran poorly so I bought another and swapped the sound across. It's got Wheeltappers sound which wasn't completely finished last time I spoke to him, but I changed a few settings myself and I'm happy with it.

Richard

• Like 3

Here's a Beyer Garratt fitted with Wheeltappers sound. The space in the boiler isnt particularly easy to use because of the shape of the boiler and the screw holes so I used a small bass reflex which is 8 ohms paired with an 8 ohm sugarcube to reduce it to 4 ohms.

Richard

• Like 2
On 19/04/2020 at 15:04, Richard Croft said:

I pretty much stick to British models for my sound installs so it was nice to be sent this Australian model to work on. There was more space than I expected so I used two 25x25x7 megabass speakers which seem to suit the sound really well.

IMG_3899.jpeg.ced8b20b9c961030245b2f49b0399828.jpeg

Richard

Hi Richard, I've used two of these speakers in my Dapol 68 with a Legomanbiffo Loksound V5 from DCkits and it sounds sound great, however having read this thread i'm now concerned about the Ohms not being right for the decoder. I've wired the speakers in parallel and everything works fine I just don't want to overload the decoder! Any advice gratefully received from a newbie to sound.

Phil

3 hours ago, Phil-Essex said:

Hi Richard, I've used two of these speakers in my Dapol 68 with a Legomanbiffo Loksound V5 from DCkits and it sounds sound great, however having read this thread i'm now concerned about the Ohms not being right for the decoder. I've wired the speakers in parallel and everything works fine I just don't want to overload the decoder! Any advice gratefully received from a newbie to sound.

Phil

Assuming the speakers are 8Ohms then everything is OK.

Charlie (DCKits-Legomanbiffo)

On 29/04/2020 at 09:02, Phil-Essex said:

Thanks Charlie, I've checked and the speakers are 4 Ohms so will change the wiring to in series.

Phil

Sorry I never replied, not been on here for a few days, yeah the speakers actually measure fairly high on my cheap multimeter (Around 5-6 ohms) but even so two in paralell is 2.5-3 ohms which is fairly low for the decoder, it’s safer to use them in series and turn the volume up if needed.

Richard

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)

I wanted to have a go at a GWR railcar, I was going to buy a sound file but I could only find sound for more modern DMU’s so I adapted a 1930’s German Railcar file. I watched videos of railcar 22 to try and get the sound as close as possible. I included a bell instead of buzzer for the guard to driver signal which can be heard in one of the videos I watched. I’ve put sliding and slam door sounds on so it suits different railcars. Its turned out well I think and means it doesn’t sound the same as my 121 or 128.

Richard

Edited by Richard Croft
  • Like 2

I’ve fitted Jamie Goodman’s new 121 file to this 128, I’ve used a 25x25x7 speaker at each end which was quite easy to do, I just had to trim a little bit of plastic.

Richard

• Like 7

I've bought myself another steam loco, this time I had to join the Bachmann collectors club to buy it but it was well worth it because the model is excellent. I've used wheeltappers sound with a laisdcc stay alive and I swapped the 15x11 speaker over for one of my own but used the original enclosure.

Richard

• Like 1

Quite a few people have emailed to ask about speakers for a princess but I hadn't done one so I wasn't sure, I bought one to try and used a 25x25x7mm speaker, I had to cut the weight in half but I was able to keep the coal bunker and still get good sound.

Richard

• Like 1

A few people said the Princess needed a bit more bass so I've had another go at it. I had to cut away some plastic inside and do away with the weight completely. I added some weight back in though so the tender isnt too light.

Richard

• Like 1

I've had this model for months but when it turned up it had a horn missing despite being described as mint which put me off it and it ended up staying in its box for a while and I managed to find a horn so got on with fitting the sound. I went for an EM2 even though its visible because I wanted the best sound possible, and it didnt disappoint, it sounds brilliant

Richard

• Like 6

Here's a few photos of how I did the 128. it was really easy to do, I just has to cut off a small piece of grey plastic behind the cab. The speaker is then just the right size for the space. Theres a video of a 128 with these speakers further up the page. You could just use one as well, but I used 2 as I was after the best sound possible.

IMG_4407.jpg.f6aca03bfa64fe0024180f2fdb406a7f.jpgIMG_4408.jpg.250d1701626279660d7c64eab255493e.jpgIMG_4410.jpg.77f98316eb80a0691f60b969f91875b4.jpg

Richard

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The 25x25x7 speaker also fits Dapol locos, its smaller than the 'traditional' bass reflex speaker that the model is designed for but has more bass and clearer sound being a more modern speaker design. I've shown it here in a 73 but it should fit any Dapol loco that has space for a 58x22 speaker.

IMG_4427.jpg.13963c22a91e8ab0118745012f3b9884.jpg

Richard

• Like 4

I don't often use Howes sounds but this one was sent with the decoder already fitted. Although it lacks features it does sound very good with the new speaker.

Richard

Here’s a new class 68 sound file by John who goes by the name of ‘JMC’. It’s in my model which already had an em2 speaker, essential for the class 68 I think

Richard

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

Here’s a new class 68 sound file by John who goes by the name of ‘JMC’. It’s in my model which already had an em2 speaker, essential for the class 68 I think

Richard

That's one of the best 68 sounds I've heard yet. 

On 22/01/2019 at 16:40, Richard Croft said:

I've been fitting sound to more class 37's for various people (non EM2) using my megabass and Iphone combination. it's the same amount of work as putting an EM2 in the tanks but sounds a lot better I think. I will post a video later. I have done 2 with the standard fitted Loksound select and 2 with with legomanbiffo decoders so I will try and record both.

post-5891-0-14996600-1548175038_thumb.jpeg

post-5891-0-27931300-1548175072_thumb.jpeg

post-5891-0-42049800-1548175125_thumb.jpeg

post-5891-0-02608100-1548175143_thumb.jpeg

Richard

Hi Richard,

What did you use to fill in around the speaker on this?

Something a bit different, this knightwing shunter kit was sent to me for sound fitting, it had already been painted and motorised to a very high standard, I just fitted the lights, sound and stay alive.

Richard

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

Something a bit different, this knightwing shunter kit was sent to me for sound fitting, it had already been painted and motorised to a very high standard, I just fitted the lights, sound and stay alive.

Richard

Hi Richard, an excellent job as usual, many thanks.

Kevin

• Thanks 1