14 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

Back to a more conventional class for my next video! I ended up buying a pair of the Acurascale KUA's which look great behind my DRS 37's with SWD sound

Richard

They do sound really good, two better than one I guess...

Posted (edited)

I got myself another German loco after being really pleased with the Roco Taurus I bought a few weeks ago. This time I got a Roco Vectron, these are an electric loco which also have a small 'last mile' diesel engine.

It's brilliant! The standard of these German models seems to be very high. I have used a Loksound 5 decoder and a pair of 15x11 speakers which fit onto an enclosure which is already in the model. https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/collections/speakers/products/15x11x3mm-sugarcube-speaker-8-ohm

Richard

Edited by Richard Croft
  • Like 3

Hi Richard,

I know that you have covered this before, but as speaker technology is changing all the time, I thought I'd just ask for the info again.

I'm going to fit TTS sound into three Bachmann Class 66's, one of which is from the first ever batch (so an 8-Pin socket) and the other two are 21-Pin Models. What would be the current recommended speaker from your range to fit these models?

Simon 

I've fitted a Soundtraxx Econami sound decoder to this class 31 which was the only sound on the Econami decoder which I still needed to try. I have used it with a 24x30 bass enhanced speaker where the fan would usually go. it sounds great for a budget decoder. it also has sound for the 20, 37, 47, 66, 67 and first gen DMU and you can select the loco sounds you want using CV's meaning you can swap it between locos if you sell them and theres no need for an expensive reblow. https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/collections/soundtraxx-sound-decoders

Richard

• Like 1

On 15/06/2021 at 19:48, Richard Croft said:

I've fitted a Soundtraxx Econami sound decoder to this class 31 which was the only sound on the Econami decoder which I still needed to try. I have used it with a 24x30 bass enhanced speaker where the fan would usually go. it sounds great for a budget decoder. it also has sound for the 20, 37, 47, 66, 67 and first gen DMU and you can select the loco sounds you want using CV's meaning you can swap it between locos if you sell them and theres no need for an expensive reblow. https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/collections/soundtraxx-sound-decoders

Richard

Just checked out your website for these decoders.

I can't see anything about what functions they offer.

Dave

17 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

If you've struggled to get decent sound out of an ESU sugarcube speaker then take a look at this video, I show my method of how to build the enclosure

Richard

Thanks for posting this useful tutorial Richard.

I have 3 or 4 of these speakers unused from decoders where I upgraded with your speakers for locos.

So I'm thinking of using them for 1st generation DMU's where they'd be small enough to fit under the chassis.  Before I start gluing, is there any advantage of using the other two spacers to make the enclosure bigger? Would that change the sound?

Thanks.  Vivian.  

1 hour ago, cravensdmufan said:

Thanks for posting this useful tutorial Richard.

I have 3 or 4 of these speakers unused from decoders where I upgraded with your speakers for locos.

So I'm thinking of using them for 1st generation DMU's where they'd be small enough to fit under the chassis.  Before I start gluing, is there any advantage of using the other two spacers to make the enclosure bigger? Would that change the sound?

Thanks.  Vivian.  

hi, the bigger enclosure will help the sound a bit yes, you need to be careful putting the speaker under the model, if the wires face down they can touch the track and blow the decoder, if they face upwards they can short out against the chassis so you will need to be careful to insulate the contacts.

Richard

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard Croft said:

hi, the bigger enclosure will help the sound a bit yes, you need to be careful putting the speaker under the model, if the wires face down they can touch the track and blow the decoder, if they face upwards they can short out against the chassis so you will need to be careful to insulate the contacts.

Richard

Good advice which I have taken on board.  Many thanks Richard.