Pva glue

sb67

Just a note of caution to avoid 500ml/1litre "pound shop" PVA. Once opened, it tends to develop the consistency of porridge and is fit only for the bin.

For years now, I've used the "No Nonsense" brand of PVA from Screwfix, just £9.99 for 5 litres.

post-17811-0-84576700-1515919993.jpg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-pva-5ltr/57248

It has never let me down although I do sometimes use Evo-Stik in the green/blue small bottles if I'm feeling paranoid. 500ml of that would be about the same price as the 5 litre Screwfix product. TBH, I've never really noticed any difference. I don't know if PVA has a shelf life, but I'm just coming to the end of a 5 litre container bought maybe 4 years ago and it's fine.

Edit: Duh. The reason I've never noticed any difference is because I've just remembered I usually refill the Evo-Stik bottle from the No Nonsense container!

Edited by Pete 75C

I was looking at the screwfix stuff. I also tried a £1 bottle from Wilkos and to be honest that's rubbish. Think I'm off to screwfix this morning.

Steve.

It is good stuff, Steve, and £ per litre, I doubt you'll get better value.

• RMweb Gold

Just a note of caution to avoid 500ml/1litre "pound shop" PVA. Once opened, it tends to develop the consistency of porridge and is fit only for the bin.

For years now, I've used the "No Nonsense" brand of PVA from Screwfix, just £9.99 for 5 litres.

I use the same.   The cheap poundland/wilko pva is fine for scenic stuff.

I use Latex based glue for track & ballast.

I use the same.   The cheap poundland/wilko pva is fine for scenic stuff.

I use Latex based glue for track & ballast.

I’ve noticed our Colonial cousins across the pond often refer to latex glue and paint in their magazines but I’ve never managed to identify it this side of the Atlantic. What do yuo buy?

Tim T

Does the screwfix stuff dry clear Pete?

Steve.

As near as makes no difference to me. I think there *may* be a slight milkiness to it when dry but I'm really not sure. I've used it (diluted) for ballasting and haven't noticed any colour change to the ballast. When using it for carpentry (and when I've noticed some has oozed out) it looks clear to me.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve noticed our Colonial cousins across the pond often refer to latex glue and paint in their magazines but I’ve never managed to identify it this side of the Atlantic. What do yuo buy?

Tim T

The one I use is a carpet tile adhesive,  I'll dig out the container and report back.

An alternative to PVA if you need the dried result to be flexible, is Aleenes Tacky Glue  ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aleenes-Premium-Original-Tacky-Craft/dp/B005Z463A2 ) .  I got mine in the craft section of Walmart.   It's white and dries clear but has some flex.  I've been using it to glue down Woodland Scenics foam to he board and track to the foam.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

I have also used the Screwfix 5 litre PVA and not had any problems with it,  I've used it for gluing and ballasting track to scenery work,  I usually decant into a smaller container for working on the layout or modelling bench.

• 2 years later...
On 14/01/2018 at 17:25, brossard said:

An alternative to PVA if you need the dried result to be flexible, is Aleenes Tacky Glue  ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aleenes-Premium-Original-Tacky-Craft/dp/B005Z463A2 ) . .......

......It's white and dries clear but has some flex.  I've been using it to glue down Woodland Scenics foam to he board and track to the foam......

I know that's an old reply, but it's useful.

I've been trying to get hold of Woodlands Scenics Foam Tack Glue, but it's been out of stock nearly everywhere for months.

When someone has it in, it seems to be out of stock again very quickly.

I was going to ask on here for suggestions for an alternative.... i.e. gluing down Woodlands Scenics Roadbed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, darrel said:

Regarding PVA glue I either buy it from poundland or Asda. But if you are buying it in asda they have two different bottles the same size the one aimed at children is a lot cheaper.

My experience is that not all glues are the same. PVA from Poundland would need to be a brand I trust before I'd buy it for anything other than a hobby.

Unbranded PVA is OK for fixing most scenic materials on a model, but I wouldn't rely on it for anything that I would consider vital or durable, like furniture.

It's your judgement call, but the way I look at it is, if a good glue costs 100% more, but that is the difference between £0.99 & £1.99, is it worth the time and effort in re-doing the job later with more glue if the first attempt fails (and potentially causes a catastrophic failure in the material / joint)?

If you think you'll have a lot of jobs needing PVA I would suggest getting a larger bottle of quality PVA from places like Toolstation / Screwfix etc, it'll work out a lot cheaper then the smaller 100ml bottles and it keeps.

• Agree 2

I'll be using sand (beach salvaged and rinsed) for ballasting, I'm tempted to use Copydex but am put off by the distinctive smell, especially if it lingers after drying.

Does anyone know if this glue has any discernable benefits over PVA with small ballast like sand, and of a good Copydex alternative on the market that doesn't smell like a dead haddock? 

• RMweb Gold
On 03/09/2020 at 01:10, Ron Ron Ron said:

I know that's an old reply, but it's useful.

I've been trying to get hold of Woodlands Scenics Foam Tack Glue, but it's been out of stock nearly everywhere for months.

When someone has it in, it seems to be out of stock again very quickly.

I was going to ask on here for suggestions for an alternative.... i.e. gluing down Woodlands Scenics Roadbed.

I import a lot of similar products for work at a wholesaler. We are seeing many American suppliers struggle with social distancing type requirements in a specific, common, area of their production lines. Many of them having to close their doors for 40+ days as non essential (in some people’s opinion ;) ) and then seeing record demand as everyone is at home hasn’t helped....

That is before you see the knock on effect from their raw materials suppliers own issues.. 

(no suggestions to a suitable product but some context to your issue)

20200902_120339.jpg.89345b5503723b2cbfc4417b2d791d9e.jpg

Used for everything on Coleborne Junction. Out of the container for most things, 50/50 water dilution, plus couple of drops of washing up liquid, for ballasting,  40/60 for fixing scatter and static grass. A slightly weaker solution to enable spraying on to existing static to enable another layer to be added. Always decant into a smaller container for use, in the picture, the container is being used to hold pieces of foam whilst the glue dries.

Regards Brian.

• Like 2