Pva glue

sb67

On 03/09/2020 at 09:45, Ray Von said:

I'm tempted to use Copydex but am put off by the distinctive smell, especially if it lingers after drying.

Does anyone know if this glue has any discernable benefits over PVA? 

I always use 50/50 Copydex/water for my ballasting.  Quieter running compared with PVA especially if using Woodlands Scenic cork based ballast.  Once dry it forms a latex like compound which holds everyting down nice and firm yet comes up much easier if you need to re-lay any track.  Just get a wallpaper scraper under it.

Despite it's truly 'orrible stink when you are applying it it definitely doesn't linger after it is dry!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cravensdmufan said:

Despite it's truly 'orrible stink when you are applying it it definitely doesn't linger after it is dry!

Cheers, layout is in bedroom - so really don't want any suspect odours in there! :D

I think I might just buy some and dab a small amount on (the layout) and see if I still notice it in weeks to come... 

1 hour ago, Ray Von said:

Cheers, layout is in bedroom - so really don't want any suspect odours in there! :D

I think I might just buy some and dab a small amount on (the layout) and see if I still notice it in weeks to come... 

It'll be fine - but let us know how you get on. :)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/09/2020 at 09:45, Ray Von said:

I'll be using sand (beach salvaged and rinsed) for ballasting, I'm tempted to use Copydex but am put off by the distinctive smell, especially if it lingers after drying.

Does anyone know if this glue has any discernable benefits over PVA with small ballast like sand, and of a good Copydex alternative on the market that doesn't smell like a dead haddock? 

The smell does not linger for long, in fact it seems to me to disperse as soon as it 'grabs'. I am using it for trackbase (3mm closed cell foam) and track work (Peco Streamline), and it allows me to take up and relay both with relative ease. Not that I'm admitting to making mistakes, you understand.

I have also used it successfully as ballast glue, diluted 50/50 with water, but only on a test piece so far.

Just to keep this post within the context of the topic title, I have used plentiful supplies of Screwfix NoNonsense PVA in the past with complete success. It always does the job, dries clear and costs less than Evo-Stik, but that's because it is designed for a different purpose.

• Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Ray Von said:

Getting back to PVA, I've been lugging a bottle of this brand around for a number of years now, and in storage it has broken down or separated - so it's now as thin as milk and seems to make a good job of ballasting and pasting card / paper.:dontknow:IMG_20200905_081059119.jpg.7dfdeb784cb2c41273991574d1310299.jpg

I've used this for ballasting in the past . That was over 8 years a'go now still look's OK  .  From Poundland