Points not Isolating...probably me being a bit dim :-)

Bethlamb26

Hi,

I am new here and I am sorry uf this is a duplicated question or posting and also apologies if it sounds like I am incredibly thick or stupid.

I have recently bought some track for my railway and I am using Roco Geoline...great stuff.

However the points on my passing loop are not isolating so I cannot have two trains on one layout as they both run when power is applied.

Do I need insulating fishplates on any aspect of the points or are they just not suitable for good old fashioned DC Control.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Beth

Edited by Bethlamb26
  • Like 1

I am  not  familiar  with  Roco  Geoline  but  there  are  some   other  similar   brands  such  as  KATO Unitrack , where  some ( but not  all) points  have  the  facility to  be  Isolating points  or  Non  Isolating,  this  is  achieved  by  positioning   some  small screws  on  the  underneath of  the  points, to achieve  which 'mode' is  required.

Welcome  to  the  Forum!!

I am  sure  that  you  will get  a  more  definitive  answer  soon!

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Premium

Hi Beth

It's not really complicated if all you've got is a single loop (and I've correctly understood how the points work) - hopefully this will help and is largely self-explanatory.

post-6206-0-73213800-1515932523_thumb.png

The double black lines are isolating rail joiners (IRJs/fishplates), the thick lines are rails and the thin ones wires.  You can get an SPDT (single pole double throw) switch from any electronics shop.  The switch controls which loop track is live. One with a centre-off position (neither track powered) is often handy.

Any questions, just ask.

Best of luck

Chris

Sounds very complicated though but one for sure is I will never switch to DCC... I prefer DC.

No need to bring DCC into the equation & I don't see any mention of someone recommending it.

It is good practice to isolate & re-feed anyway. It is a '1-technique-fits-all' solution & rail joiners are a weak spot, particularly once the track has been weathered & been in place for a few years.

Thank you very much for your replies, that diagram is very helpful and I have sourced a suitable switch for such a purpose.

I know no-one mentioned DCC, i was just referring to my own stupidiity in buying track that is essentially for DCC operation and having to reverse engineer it for DC operation.

A bit of extra soldering keeps a girl out of mischief i guess ☺

Regards