sem34090's next 3D Printing/CAD project.

• RMweb Gold

Simon, what are you on about?! GET OUT OF HERE YOU FILTHY MINDED.... :jester:

All right, don’t shout.

I have removed the remarks.

Anyone reading this will now think it was much filthier than it actually was.

Because it wasn’t filthy. Just slightly smutty.

Edited by Regularity

All right, don’t shout.

I have removed the remarks.

Anyone reading this will now think it was much filthier than it actually was.

Because it wasn’t filthy. Just slightly smutty.

Ah, to be hanged for the sheep you didn't steal!

Right, a few issues worth addressing here!

First of all, I too find Shapeways' prices expensive, so generally use 'Imaterialise' as I have found them cheaper. In their equivalent of WSF, a bogie coach worked out at £35 rather than £65 on shapeways.

People still seem to be hooked that I mentioned RTR Chassis, and think that I mean I will make every model with dodgy proportions to fit. I make the model to scale, then copy the file and start adapting it to fit a chassis. I would then offer both the RTR Chassis version and a version for a scratchbuilt chassis or even a 3D Printed chassis,

An L&YR Railmotor is considerably larger than, say, an LBSCR Baltic Tank, and therefore costs more. Moreover, I don't know how much of a markup Simon put on that model. The E2 at £90 is also more likely to be in a higher-grade material.

Finally, you don't have to buy it if you don't want to! I don't intend to make any money out of this in the short term at any rate.

I've attached a rather poor phone shot of the HO D1, without flash, so you can make your own judgement. I didn't sand it, just crudely painted it and stuck on the only transfers I had to hand, though they are incorrect for the class. The ridging on the boiler was a design flaw on my part: at the time I didn't know how to add more than 24 segments in a circle.

Thanks for the photo, that's a useful reference point for the finish at iMaterialize. It would needs some sanding in a production model.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, to be hanged for the sheep you didn't steal!

I think I’m being fleeced by ewe all.

Lambentable, that’s what it is...

Oops! Sorry. Mustn’t be too witty. Not on this thread.

Edited by Regularity

Ah, some light hearted puns! Puns are fine:  we just don't want our lawyer friend to require anti-pun counselling!

I just want one thread on the forum, one thread! Keep it within Castle Aching's Parish boundary...

• RMweb Gold

I just want one thread on the forum, one thread! Keep it within Castle Aching's Parish boundary...

If you are that close to CA, then I am afraid you will be fighting a losing battle against deviation, repetition or bawdiness, as so much of this goes on in there that you are bound to be swamped with some of the overflow...

• RMweb Gold

I have now lost the will to live!

I didn’t wish to upset you: leaves me on the horns of a dilemma and I must admit to feeling a bit sheepish about it. No need to ram it home, though...

• RMweb Gold

With a couple of co-conspirators, both now pushing up the daisies - or being loaned by upstairs to torment the downstairs - I once managed to clear a clubroom. The N gauge mob in the other room had never been so popular... we were on fire that night.

Sheep puns are best herd and not scene.

• RMweb Gold

Is that not going a bit far just to clear a clubroom?

I’ll set ‘em up, and you can bowl them...

Actually, if we had put a match to the over-engineered bomb-proof 00 layout that occupied the room, I suspect we might have earned grateful thanks. The layout itself was fine, but there were two major flaws. (1) No one had any stock for it; and (2) No one had any stock for it.

Now, I know that I have just stated a tautology, but for any layout it’s a big problem. For a club layout, disastrous. It became a test track that was re-wired every other year (I think rewiring layouts was the Hon Sec’s real hobby) and otherwise a large lump that was simply too heavy to dismantle to create some space, as the prospect of reassembly was too daunting.

It did solve one problem: there were no complaints from the various followers of various lines/eras about other “sections” being given preferential treatment.

At another club, I remember the layout wiring being installed by a member who was also a signalling engineer for BR. Everything was done in heavy-duty wire, and every circuit was duplicated. It was a nightmare when the original wirer had left: whenever the new guy made an alteration, there was the possibility of a strange short circuit. In the end, it had to be stripped and re-done, during which several weeks there was no running facility for members...

I don’t get involved with clubs anymore!

Societies are a different thing, of course.

I find Shapeways FUD okay so long as you're prepared to do a little tidying up, and you have the ability to forget the cost. Have you found an equivalent material elsewhere that can print aFUD model without alterations? I tend to push the minimum thickness which others can't do.

As a beginner modeller whose greatest soldering achievement was a doorbell at high school (and iirc that took about three attempts!) I'm quite interested in this medium. I am willing to accept compromise on the chassis front- there are vast amounts of locos that can be built on say the Triang L1 with only a few mm difference that even the most seasoned modeller would struggle to notice unless he/her measured it up. If I want to model pre-grouping I've currently only got one option- a hugely expensive brass kit, and there is no RTR (J36, J72, D11 and J11 excepted) for my favourite companies- the NBR, GC, NER and H&BR. I've got some drawings for the locos of the latter, and they match RTR chassis quite well- the F2 tank for example is exactly the same as the Collett Goods; and the big Class A 0-8-0s fit the jinty chassis quite nicely too although obviously it'd have to be butchered in to an 0-8-0 chassis. Don't suppose you'd be interested in these types in the future? Summers may be sunnier in the south, but the grass is greener in the North...

...because it rains more...

Looking at the D2 print, the definition and detail on the fittings - Westinghouse pump, smokebox door furniture, safety valve - is a bit limited, as one would expect in a low-res material. Why not print the fittings separately in a high-res material, or sprue them to the main body if that be done in high-res? The body print could have locating holes to match pegs on the fittings.

The cost of a sprue of loco fittings, in FUD from Shapeways, I estimate to be about £6; less if they were sprued to the body and the two done as one print. The fittings might also sell separately as an after-market product for other kits or RTR.

Further, have a low-res body without small details makes it much easier to fill and sand. 

I should add that the D2 looks quite fine and with the boiler issues sorted it would make quite an appealing model I think. I do have a bit of a liking for the LBSCR...

This talk of a D2 makes me think we are talking of Stroudley's mixed traffic tender loco, a rare beast, although two kit manufacturers have had a go at it. I think the loco in question is actually a D1!