Layout for sale?

Hello,

Firstly, apologies is this is posted in the wrong section of the forums.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I've just started a full-time job on the railway, and therefore I do not have the time to build my own layout. My currently layout that I have is passed its best and is no longer worth keeping.

I've looked and searched through eBay and Gumtree for years, however I have had no luck.

Would anyone be able to point me in the best direction? I am aware that buying layouts isn't that popular, but it is my only choice.

Thanks

Matthew

• RMweb Premium

ebay is the most cost effective way of getting a pre built layout, however good ones are very few and far between, and it is almost certain that you will have to travel to pick it up. 

The other place to look is at exhibitions, where again you sometimes see layouts for sale. These are often at a significantly higher price than they would fetch on ebay however. 

Edited by Kris

• RMweb Gold

The builder of Maindee East has only just passed away, so I would suggest it is perhaps a little premature to be speculating about the future ownership of this very complex P4 layout.

If it were me, I would ask at my local model railway shop as they tend to be "in the know" about who has layouts, who wishes to part with one, etc. Another option is to visit an exhibition

and make enquiries. I was approached about whether a layout of mine was for sale at a show; I hadn't given it any consideration until then but by the end of the weekend I'd had another

approach and within a week or two I'd made arrangements to sell it.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve sold several of my layouts at exhibhitions simply by putting a for sale sign on it. I’ve also had people ask if my layout is for sale. If you see a layout you like at a show, you can always ask the owner to contact you if they are thinking of selling it.

Mickleover members have a substantial "00" layout called Farkam which has been exhibited extensively in the UK and Europe and can be found on YouTube.

I think however that a closed bidding system for the layout is in progress.

Contact the Mickleover Model railway group based in Derby for details.

Good Luck.

Hello

How would one find out if Maindee East is indeed for sale again, or at least who to contact to enquire if this might be the case

Thanks

Darren

First, await the funeral for Steffan, then enquire re family and executors

Mickleover members have a substantial "00" layout called Farkam which has been exhibited extensively in the UK and Europe and can be found on YouTube.

I think however that a closed bidding system for the layout is in progress.

Contact the Mickleover Model railway group based in Derby for details.

Good Luck.

Google 'farkham'

Scroll down to 'FARKHAM IS FOR SALE'

You end up back on RMWeb under Layout Topics.

Barry Ten, a very fair comment and point taken on allowing family time at this particular juncture re Maindee ownership.

Thanks all for the pointers - personally I'm looking for an OO gauge layout. I've been kit building for years, but being located in Ireland, membership of a Model Railway Society is a remote possibility, and hence knowledge of layouts for sale, and opportunities to run stock are non-existent. Thus, if I could find something that fits my needs that;'s for sale it would be fantastic.

Have looked at Maindee East, Lydgate and Farnham, and Maindee East looks really attractive but I can't find a trackplan showing its actual size. I'm pitching at something from the steam era (pre-grouping ideally but not absolutely). I'll be giving Footplate Models a bell shortly too.

I have a space 17'6" x 12' available.

All the best

Darren

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

I'm after something around the size of 15 foot by 8 foot, could be longer but nothing wider than 8 foot due to layout size.

I understand they are few and far between but my options really are limited at the moment.

EM gauge any good? Set up for DCC. 15 X 3 end to end but with option to build a fiddle yard/make it a roundy roundy. PM for a few photo's if you want.

Phil

• 5 months later...

Good ones on sale are few and far between. Ebay, well ..... no doubt you have see what's there, it's a very mixed bag with very few good ones. Otherwise it's seeing the occasional one at shows and also seeing if it would meet your wishes or could be adapted to do so.

It needs patience, some, where the owner wants to sell are frequently snapped up by friends or acquaintances who have almost been waiting to the layout to be come up for sale. It means moving fast when you do come arcoss one that appeals. Clubs do sometimes have a clearout but again you have to be fast.

Good luck, one quick thought there is the 'Wanted' section on here! Clearly define what you are looking for, not just "Layout wanted" and see what appears.

John

I wish to second the OP's opinions- I too am looking for a layout.

A friend of mine has this one on sale 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-model-railway-layout-project/273327326107?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D52976%26meid%3D585ee999e3a44561818ff02af6158fab%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D173377777213%26itm%3D273327326107&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Abe40ed8c-7d72-11e8-80ed-74dbd180bb58%7Cparentrq%3A57abe5a91640ac3d2c0efbd6fff44d74%7Ciid%3A1

I think it has a lot of potential, but he's just moved into his first flat, and needless to say just doesn't have room. Its currently set up as a 24ft end to end, but could with a bit of carpentry be re-jigged to fit into a smallish bedroom or across a garage as a roundy-roundy, it ran quite well when we put it up at the club last week to take the photos for ebay.

Jon