Modified Couplings for Airfix LMS Coaches

ianLMS

• RMweb Premium

With the SEF glazing, try running a black marker around the edge before inserting in the coach, that will help to overcome the prismatic effect.

As for the steam heating pipe, I think the answer would be that they would be coupled all year. It becomes part of the routine, and it would be expensive to take them off for summer and then refit them all for winter....

Andy g

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After much faffing about with the modifed coupling, it proved inpractical to use due to the permanent nature and should the need arise to lift the coaches, you had to pick up 3 at a time. A struggle for even the largest of hands. The use of corridor connections to hide the gap in the middle made using standard screw link coupling very difficult and my desire to join the vacuum/steam hoses also added to the probelm.

Then came a discussion on another thread concerning the standard tension lock system and eventually I decided to try and develop my own coupling, but using magnets. So far, I have had success but I have yet to put the new coupling under full test conditions (I intend to this week). I am also going to experiment with an electromagnet to see if I can get remote uncoupling as well (no confident on this one though).

I have attached pics/drawings of my intended plan.

post-21193-0-71697800-1526305501_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-97636500-1526305517_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-70833900-1526305556.jpg

post-21193-0-91498400-1526306061_thumb.jpg

• Like 1