Hendra

treggyman

The laboratory block at Blackpool was a fairly generic looking prefab structure, with a shallow pitched roof. The only photo I have of it is this incidental shot of the truck silos where it's peeking out from behind the large blue bin. The frontage was made up of 6 precast concrete wall segments that were roughly 9' x 9', and the gable ends were made up of 3 such panels, giving a roughly 60' x 30' footprint.

PICT0871.JPG

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

Hi

I hadn't realised I'd not posted for over a month....

Life took over as it does........

There has been some progress.....Not much.......But I hope to post some pics of progress soon....

Penhallick Junction has now gone so now Hendra is my only China Clay layout & is due to make it's debut at the end of August at the Hayle show...

So I'd better get a move on...

Hopefully I will have time to progress the layout & post progress.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi

Started ballasting today....Did the platform line......

Also fitted the concrete trunking , the orange under rail ducts & a couple of relay cabinets......

Also replaced the twin red lights on the platform line buffer stop......

If I get a moment tomorrow I'll glue the ballast that I've laid down & maybe take the camera with me....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi

Was going to post these a few days ago but the system was down so couldn't.....

The Linhay has since been painted but no pics taken yet.....IMG_1292.resized.JPG.7ec7e8938b35860578ebf401edc38f64.JPGIMG_1293.resized.JPG.58e09a3909aea8846138af80dd3dfe55.JPGIMG_1284.resized.JPG.a31a05d31ddc20f26e56972880ba9560.JPGAs you can see there was some bubbling of the glue on the roof sheets as well as the joins not being tight enough together....

One sheet was relaid & hopefully the painting has disguised the other faults....

Well it has to the naked eye but we'll see what it's like when photographed......

At present the roof is removeable & it may well stay that way as the board is already quite heavy without it being attached.....

More anon when I can do more & get round to taking pics....

Cheers Bill

PS.  i WISH THERE WAS A POST PREVIEW BUTTON AS PREVIOUSLY.....

IMG_1295.resized.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Hi

A long time since I last posted but life got in the way & last Monday ( the 19th ) I had an operation on my right hand.......

Hopefully I can find a bit of time over the next few days to take a pic or two of the slow progress......

Unfortunately SWMBO isn't too well at the moment so still not much time to do a lot.......

I have spent a bit of time 'track testing' & all seemed to run well but I've had to touch up the ballasting on three of the points so they'll need re-testing.........

I've started the scenic work & built the partially demolished bridge fixing one of the abutments.......

One problem is I keep changing my mind on the backscene......whether a row of houses  or a rural scene....

As I say hopfully I shall have time for an update or two over the next few days...

Cheers Bill          

• Like 4

Hi

Planted a few fence posts today & took a few pictures to show progress.......

A few of the Linhay.......

Not quite finished as the the platform end n0eeds the pink foam covering in & the slurry tanks need weathering & fixing in place

IMG_6892.resized.JPG.bf5a14755b16f43c6b685c3bd43f2d88.JPG

IMG_6898.resized.JPG.3f4f846c27ae05c9dc4350897a73c54a.JPG

IMG_6911.resized.JPG.ce4b8d50fe5eddbf969e80649c248fa0.JPG

IMG_6901.resized.JPG.92ecb1a8ebb0f1876b94dd13daca8eab.JPG

Next a couple from the bufferstop end........

Excuse the 'backscene'.......the backscene boards are not fitted yet to mke working on the layout easier.....

The portacabin , fuelling p oint & tank are not yet fixed as they require detailing/weathering.......

but hopefully you get the idea.......

IMG_6909.resized.JPG.be20ab92e717835e843f1952dfa62dc6.JPG

IMG_6907.resized.JPG.baa3cc7d92ee6dcba5b7140fea6f5d02.JPG

Finally a pic of the ground frame.......

I had considered a signal box but I have assumed the original station to have been on the other side of the bridge so any 'box would have been there with access to the Clay Works being by a ground frame in telephone contact with the station 'box , now the next box up the line......

I have bought the Ratio point rodding kit & intend to fit it to add more realistic detail.......

It looks quite challenging !!!!!!!!!!

IMG_6910.resized.JPG.6c358fd5865aabf8092d31c6dfbecb22.JPG

Well that's all for this evening........Still getting the hang of posting on here but.......

Hopefully get some more done tomorrow...

Cheers Bill

• Like 11

Hi

Well a bit of progress......

It's so frustrating that I'm home but not able to do as much as I'd like due to having to do everything one handed.....

However I gave the end backscene boards a lick of paint & fitted them so I could fix in place the other bridge abutment & infiiled it & added ballast.......

A view now no longer possible due to the backscene.....

Not a very good pic as it was taken into the sunlight......

IMG_6920.resized.JPG.638894caa542b0f0dbaa0faf4099dd13.JPG

I also took the opportunity to fix the lighting rig bracket rescued from Penhallick Junction

IMG_6929.resized.JPG.c26b28c80815ad72f9e90afc47283104.JPG

IMG_6930.resized.JPG.36f24f80adce9ae1ab47d83c688fe7d8.JPG

I have also been busy on the fuelling point shed which I shall post some pics later.

The car park ( foreground ) & road need surfacing & then a decision on the backscene....Rural or a row of Clay workers cottages in half relief.....

Time will tell.....

Cheers for now

Bill

• Like 7

Hi

Well the rest of yesterday's & todays modelling time was spent on the refuelling shed.......

The shed had been built as had the fuelling pump & table.

The tool 'store' is a repainted Bachmann item & the oil drum is a repainted plastic drum from a stack that I bought.

The pipes Diesel & water are multi core wire with the oil pump mechanism from the drum & water tap soldered up from scrap.

The fire extinguishers are a tank made from plastic tube glued to various sizes of brass wire soldered together for the handles & spray pipe.....

IMG_6932.resized.JPG.f3db08190db572060879d5b7f4383a03.JPG

The fire extinguishers......They were then primed & painted.....

IMG_6939.resized.JPG.0d477503f110bf8762bad01818910c78.JPGIMG_6938.resized.JPG.9b8e7d74477b7c0cd35cc14da3b0da66.JPG

The figure is a Bachmann one that I had already hacked his left hand or what it had been holding off so I made a tool box for him to pick up........

I was going to put another figure in the shed but I think that it might make it a bit crowded........

Just need to put a couple of bits of clutter on the table & fix some dummy lighting , a clock.......

I'm pleased how it's turned out.......

I started this several months ago & got 'modellers block ' on how to progress but it seems sorted.......

Hopefully get a bit of time to do a bit more over the next day or two....

Cheers Bill

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 31/08/2019 at 21:19, Stubby47 said:

Very impressivs Bill, lots of detail that looks 'right'.

Though it does look very clean inside.

Hi Stu

Thanks for the comment....Greatly appreciated....

Yes it is a bit clean.....

I've not quite decided how to weather it without overdoing it.......

Mind you....China Clay is very white & clean looking!!!!!!!!

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

On 01/09/2019 at 08:26, RAY NORWOOD said:

Looking fantastic Bill. 

I have that mental  lock sometimes. Keep up the good mate. 

Hi Ray

Thanks for the above comment.......

I think in my case the mental block comes from sometimes having too many ideas & then overwhelming myself & then becoming indecisive.......

Cheers Bill

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2019 at 18:45, treggyman said:

Hi Ray

Thanks for the above comment.......

I think in my case the mental block comes from sometimes having too many ideas & then overwhelming myself & then becoming indecisive.......

Cheers Bill

I definitely get that "paralysis by analysis"

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

Those fire extinguishers look amazing, how the hell did you manage to solder the wire together. I'd love to have that sort of ability.

Awesome :sungum:

Hi Adrian

Thankyou for the above comment......Really appreciate it........

AS regards how I did it is lots of practice on other projects that didn't turn out right but learning from my mistakes.....

Perhaps it's just me but it's one of the parts of modelling that I most enjoy.......

Fiddling about making details that no one except me sees......

But without them the scene/picture isn't right to my eyes......

Others will say this is wrong or that is wrong but I like to try to create a scene that looks right

It's making/modelling fineky little items like this that I really enjoy.......

Thanks again for the comment

Cheers Bill

• Like 5

Hi

Well the Kernow PRA wagons have arrived & very good they look too....

I had hoped to have a play with them but unfortunately other things took priority so hopefully I can put up a picture tomorrow.....

Sadly I ff I saw them I don't remember it so weathering will be by looking at other peoples pictures....Probably Paul Bartlets on his Zenfolio site......

Made a start on fitting my couplings......

Cheers Bill

• Like 4

Hi

Well todays spare time was used to fit my couplings to the wagons......

Then a 'play'/test......

08955 preparing to leave Hendra with a propelling move for Ponts Mill

IMG_6940.resized.JPG.72b4346bdd9127b0d4d0b1a508a21592.JPG

The Brake van is the Kernow limited edition StBlazey one

IMG_6942.resized.JPG.05d1e0e1881c2e3d341d7083f0a2369e.JPG

& finally passing the slurry tanks on it's way.....

IMG_6944.resized.JPG.5ebcc3eca8af93a3c1828b7c0fc733c7.JPG

They are really nice wagons....

A shame they don't have sprung buffers as I run buffer to buffer when propelling but hey ho......

Weathering in due course....

The testing did throw up a couple of issues....

Annoyingly one of my Cobalt point motors has started to click.......

When first switched on it's fine.....

Then it starts to go click click click on & on......

But only when one position......

On closer inspection it appears to be trying to change position & then springs back & keeps doing it until the point is changed.....

& starts again when the point is changed back.....

V annoying as I don't have the receipt for it......

The other problem is that I have probably a dry solder joint as I get a dead spot on one of my points at the blade end......

A job for tomorrow I think......

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi

Well todays spare time was spent on the linhay end of the layout......

I had in mind to have a large shed/building against the backscene with a door/opening rail served......

I've modelled the one at Par docks before....Which isn't rail accessed.....

1884552917_ParDocks8307065.resized.jpg.65551d35409ac2cef567de83e85f74a4.jpg

However when I did a scaled cardboard cutout it looked far too small......

IMG_1453.resized.JPG.683544e1a1d312a2fb85d72ff684d74b.JPG

So I made a cut out inspired by the Linhay at Marsh Mills ,a picture taken Maurice Dart in his book Cornish China Clay Trains page 11......

It's inspired by so not identical but I think it more gives an impression of the sheer size/bulk of China Clay buildings......

IMG_1454.resized.JPG.0a95516e5a3a6369c093ec040f5a7f48.JPG

So that is what I've gone for & have now built it & started to clad it.......

Hopefully I can do a bit more tomorrow as I think I'll be back to work next week & time will be at a premium......

Cheers For now

Bill

• Like 5

Hi

Well here's what I ended up with as the Linhay end backscene......

IMG_1458.resized.JPG.dc02ad27629bffb1909d716f2a1d24b3.JPG

IMG_1461.resized.JPG.5c94a3063079852fc631d2828b86d152.JPG

IMG_1462.resized.JPG.361a5a3d4fa7259862fa6987d3a813c4.JPG

The wagon is a kit that I bought in the mid '80's from the late Pete Lindsay of Exeter Model Shop when it was in the arcade......

He had two & I bought them both......

There's no makers name on them but Taylor rings a bell......

They are actually quite a good representation considering their age

I found them backalong on the top shelf of one of my sheds covered in grime & much the worse for wear......

I have sorted the other one out but I cut this one down , added sprung buffers lamp bracket replaced the steps & fitted screw couplings.....

& glued it to the backscene board......

The building is not yet fixed down as I hope to tone down the weathering.....

Also the static grass covered tape on the loading platform needs removing & I need to infill the blue area between the buildings with a picture of a clay related building or similar....

Back to work tomorrow so progress will slow down again....Not that it's been fast....

Cheers

Bill

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill, glad to see you're making progress. Hope you've recovered from the hand surgery?

I like the scale of the buildings here, definitely gives a convincing setting.

I seem to remember the VGA kits were from Roy Gould, but based on the prototype version. The production vans had deeper underframes. Fortunately you've cut that bit off! ;)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/09/2019 at 20:19, Siberian Snooper said:

Pete  Lindsay,  there's a blast from the past and a master class in being miserable, I certainly don't think he ever went on a customer relations course.

Hi

We moved down to Cornwall in late 1987 so it was over 30 years ago that I last went into his shop.......

My memory of it is being quite small but crammed with goodies....

He seemed to have everything one could possibly want......& was always helpful to me a relative newbie at that time.....

Quite often he would be chatting to one of his cronies........

I'd certainly heard of his lack of positivity & charm but he was always polite to me & seemed quite happy to take my money....

Sadly missed

Cheers Bill

22 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Hi Bill, glad to see you're making progress. Hope you've recovered from the hand surgery?

I like the scale of the buildings here, definitely gives a convincing setting.

I seem to remember the VGA kits were from Roy Gould, but based on the prototype version. The production vans had deeper underframes. Fortunately you've cut that bit off! ;)

Hi Rich

Thanks for the above comment.....

Yes the hand is much better now thanks......Not easy to grip scalpels but I'm managing.......

Thanks for the detail on the VGA kits.....

I noticed the underfame was shallower than the Bachmann one but put it down to jus being innacurate as the length is also different....

IMG_1467.resized.JPG.bf590d33fbf86a3947937258843e5ed9.JPG

IMG_1466.resized.JPG.29955b867741e98f0c293ab5a2d79eac.JPG

Not the best of pics but it was hand brush painted & lettered by me over 30 years ago....

It won't run on Hendra but is destined for use by my son on Penhallick Junction if he wants it......

• Like 1