Hendra

treggyman

Hi

Put in the road & car park using plaster filler.......

Cleaned it up a bit & removed the masking tape....

Before giving it a coat of paint......

IMG_1463.resized.JPG.a16c90c7d757f618d4c2fb9e057d1475.JPGIMG_1464.resized.JPG.3fa44e414b7caf3f2f92c7966379eef2.JPGIMG_1465.resized.JPG.4b64a35dcb98465e24537f4c274e6026.JPG

Hope to paint it this evening then let it dry out before fitting the line markings......

Then more grass etc & maybe look to fit some backscene pics if I've got time before the end of October deadline for the show at Carn Brea......

Cheers Bill

Edit to remove unwanted markers for adding pics

Edited by treggyman
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

Just checking up on progress since I last posted and thought of some suggestions for details.

Your man in the workshop made me think about uniforms that ECC issued over the years. The blue trousers he's wearing would be accurate for the mid 60s to 80s, and they also had a blue jackets and blue overalls back then - these were all made of denim and were issued to everyone who worked in the pits, linhays (but not dryers), refineries, and fitting shops. In the dryers they wore white overalls. By the early 90s the uniform had switched to orange trousers, orange shirt/jacket, and orange overalls. This applied across the board, with the exception of offices and labs. Once Imerys took over, the orange became high-vis orange, and they added retro-reflective stripes and high-vis vests. Looking at your rolling stock you're definitely in the 90s, so your chappie should be wearing orange trousers, an orange jacket (no yellow vest with silver reflective stripes), and unless he's a manager or supervisor his hard hat should be blue or red. The below photo of an ECC employee operating P403D Denise at Crugwallins siding in 1993 clearly shows the uniform of the time.

1993.jpg.2e691d60edfc1453909532b01b71c4c7.jpg

Another detail you might like to include is tree screens. ECC planted rows of Cypress Leylandii in an attempt to buffer noise and screen the view of their works in deference to their neighbours. Why this species in particular you ask? Because they're evergreen, meaning they provide screening year round, and they're the tallest of the dense "hedge" conifers. They're really easy to make, you can just lay hemp rope fibres, plumbers hemp, or whatever you have to hand between wires and twist them together to make an armature, which can then be shaped and flocked. For a Cypress you just have to give it a more columnar shape and pull the armature through your hand a few times, from trunk to tip, so that the branches incline upwards. This guy has a good video demonstrating it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMw11tcZa-8 An alternative method is to cut a scotch-brite pad into small squares and stack them onto a bamboo skewer - this can then be shaped with scissors and flocked. The tree screens I'm talking about are visible in the background off to the right hand side in this photo.

IMG_3364.JPG.4499584e9a4ab15356883800b0a62d0f.JPG

One other detail that is extremely common around clay works is plank fencing, which can be seen in the photo of Fal Valley Dryers at Treviscoe below. These were made up of 6" x 1" x 72" boards with about a 1" gap between each board, fixed vertically to two 2x4 horizontals that were fixed to 4x4 fence posts. Very easily done with basswood strip.

IMG_9818.JPG.b8498ec3dfedd8d9c75e47ef0ee32321.JPG

Lastly, one final detail is height restriction chains. These are really straight forward, just two 9" diameter posts set in concrete in a barrel, or set into the ground, standing either side of an entrance to a works or at any point where the max headroom changes. Spanned between them is a chain set at the max headroom level. This is to allow clearance under electricity wires, pipelines, covered loading areas, conveyor bridges, and entryways. Here's one at Treviscoe.

IMG_0935.JPG.f269de749f78ef8473dc86c64be0747f.JPG

Edited by Stoker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Hi Stoker

Thanks very much for your very informative post above....Really useful information......

I was aware of the planked fencing as I visited Treviscoe back in 2011 & took several photo's.....

On Penhallick Junction I built the perimeter fencing in the planked style but hadn't realised it was so commonly used so I shall build more for Hendra in due course....Also adjust the uniform though that may have to wait until after the Carn Brea show next month.......

The screen blockers sound interesting & thanks for posting the build method very useful.....

Thanks again for a very informative post....

Any more suggestions more than welcome....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Well there has been progress....Albeit slow......

Hendra is as we speak set up in Carn Brea Leisure centre Redruth making it's debut in the Cornwall O gauge group's show.....

The advantage of being an end to end is that it was set up & tested within an hour.....

Not so much stock to put out etc & I was home in less than two hours with just a few loco wheels to clean tomorrow morning.......

All seemed to work fine this evening......We'll see what tomorrow brings......

I had spent a lot of time yesterday testing everything with the most troublesome wagons (CDA's) & after some adjustments here & there all worked fine.....

I also tweaked the 08 & the sentinel so hopefully they will perform tomorrow......

Just some overall pictures tonight but hopefully I will get some more tomorrow when SWMBO & my son will be there to assist.....

a

IMG_1521.resized.JPG.9ff571163e39d8e6aa06584b7e2009c3.JPGIMG_1520.resized.JPG.ffec5b7a1bd795105bec381e6c40273d.JPGIMG_1519.resized.JPG.66e2e8d090b0f828d481a6d02567b75d.JPG

There are no trees yet & the backscene needs tidying up....Also there are still a couple of areas that aren't quite finished scenicly but it looks OK from a distance....

Hopefully it will work well as well......

If you're at the show tomorrow do be sure to say hello.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Just caught up with this Bill. Hope all went well, and above all that you

enjoyed yourself.

All the best

TONY

Hi Tony

Thanks for the above post.....

All went well & an enjoyable day was had....

Cheers Bill

Hi

Well all done & dusted.......

Firstly a big thankyou to Ian & the Cornwall O gauge group for inviting me to their very enjoyable show.....

Also thanks to SWMBO & my son for their assistance today.......

Considering it was it's debut the layout ran very reliably......

One point blade came adrift but a couple of minutes with the soldering iron sorted that out.......

A couple of issues with the coupling heights....Again easily sorted.......

The Bachmann 08 ran fine for a couple of hours then the pickups got dirty & it started to play up......

I think I'll replace them as it is vital that it runs reliably at slow speed.......

Apart from that the only problems were operator error.........

The moral of the above is to make sure I thoroughly test/try every item of stock in as many combinations as possible before exhibiting......

The punters seemed to like it....Some recognising the basckscene pictures & one person even thought they'd been there!!!!!!

The next outing is in April at the Helston show which is being held in Pool school Redruth I'm told........

I managed to get a few pics so I'll post them over the next day or two.......

First a few of the station end......

IMG_6952.resized.JPG.07228774dfb031e43c604c0abf7f59fc.JPGIMG_6955.resized.JPG.aa66ec3d43b2571d7391a5bfe9934172.JPGIMG_6964.resized.JPG.26e0f2b00f58f1a2700726ea6b2575fd.JPGIMG_6966.resized.JPG.fddae4c95dc237c7b57ecc65a3edc968.JPGIMG_6970.resized.JPG.2b86cb74843fc2fa0d9e53e91f2393e7.JPGIMG_6971.resized.JPG.538ad4b0a6e8195bc24ea6202bf02578.JPG

The row of cottages are Metcalfe kits which will be replaced in time but I didn't have time to build typical Cornish cottages as I had intended.....

Also as there are no trees the backscene isn't quit right but oddly enough looks better in the flesh......

Well that's all for tis evening willl try to post some more pics tomorrow....

Cheers Bill

• Like 11

Hi

A few more pics of the weekends show at Carn Brea Leisure centre.....

These are of the middle of the layout.......

IMG_6950.resized.JPG.880fc0cc10b8084ea1d4badaebba0a59.JPG

IMG_6957.resized.JPG.da0393f741e59db626355586b9d23aaa.JPG

IMG_6968.resized.JPG.070b9ceec79b7ffafa2403218d75e167.JPG

IMG_6967.resized.JPG.979de0b2ea257dcbcdbba77d2ff8654a.JPG

As can be seen the backscene needs more work on it but it looks better in real life....Honest Guv......

A couple of pics of the 'view blocker' where the line leaves the main baseboard to gain the fiddle yard.......

Again bits need reworking to make it blend in better photographically but it worked OK at the show......

IMG_6961.resized.JPG.924a553b773418a281320745e50796d3.JPGIMG_6969.resized.JPG.947ba889f4a0638ae02572e8b6247dbe.JPGIMG_6954.resized.JPG.2a016a1e9051b5c445b64f825b2732dd.JPG

There are a few more pics which I shall add over the next day or so when I've time.....

Cheers Bill  

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Bill. I notice your chap in the workshop has donned a more appropriate uniform! ;)

I recognize the photo of the dryers in the background, that's Trelavour, at the far end of Parkandillack. The steam rising from the chimney is from the dryer that Goonvean constructed here in 2001, sadly shut down after just a little over a decade of use when Imerys bought Goonvean. The dryer was a band dryer from Mitchell dryers, a company that Goonvean had been purchasing from since the 1950s. Their first Mitchell band dryer was built at Goonvean siding, just east of Treviscoe, processing 2.5 tons per 8 hour shift. Boots the pharmacy used to buy 10 tons per month from there for use in their cosmetics, and the dryer had originally been used to dry dog biscuits!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 10/11/2019 at 15:13, Rhysb said:

Looking great Bill, a big inspiration for my next project. Enjoy your updates

Rhys

Hi Rhys

Thanks for the above comment ,really appreciate it.......

I'm afraid my updates are rather sporadic but hopefully that will change soon as I might get more time.......

What's your next project....Or have you started & I've missed it.....

Cheers Bill

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Stoker said:

Looking good Bill. I notice your chap in the workshop has donned a more appropriate uniform! ;)

I recognize the photo of the dryers in the background, that's Trelavour, at the far end of Parkandillack. The steam rising from the chimney is from the dryer that Goonvean constructed here in 2001, sadly shut down after just a little over a decade of use when Imerys bought Goonvean. The dryer was a band dryer from Mitchell dryers, a company that Goonvean had been purchasing from since the 1950s. Their first Mitchell band dryer was built at Goonvean siding, just east of Treviscoe, processing 2.5 tons per 8 hour shift. Boots the pharmacy used to buy 10 tons per month from there for use in their cosmetics, and the dryer had originally been used to dry dog biscuits!

Hi Stoker

Thanks for the above comment & the very informative post.....

Sadly I couldn't put both thanks & informative /useful even though both apply.....

Yes the chap in the workshop was persuaded to have a quick change of clothing......Well a bit of filing & fettling & a coat of paint sorted him out.....

The picture of the drier was taken from a road above St Dennis before I really had sorted out my bearings so hadn't realised it was the Goonvean drier.

A great shame about the takeover but I suppose modern economics held sway.

I shall redo that scene with a similar overall picture/background effect as the collage of pictures don't blend in well enough & there isn't enough depth to put some greenery in front as with Penhallick.......

The problem of working to a deadline with time running out...

One or two other bits will also be ,blended' in better.....

Thanks again for the post & please feel free to add any more info you may think relevant/interesting.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, treggyman said:

Hi Rhys

Thanks for the above comment ,really appreciate it.......

I'm afraid my updates are rather sporadic but hopefully that will change soon as I might get more time.......

What's your next project....Or have you started & I've missed it.....

Cheers Bill

Bill,

Quite a few similarities with Hendra but not intentional! I showed my plans to one friend and he said. have you seen Hendra!

ceratinly inspired by your layout!

thanks. Rhys

Edited by Rhysb
  • Like 2

Bill, I will have a look through my photo archives and see if I have anything from the 90s in high res and colour that could be used as a more appropriate background. I think I might have some shots of the Nanpean and Carbis areas that could work.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Rhysb said:

Bill,

Quite a few similarities with Hendra but not intentional! I showed my plans to one friend and he said. have you seen Hendra!

ceratinly inspired by your layout!

thanks. Rhys

Hi Rhys

I shall have a look & follow with interest

Cheers Bill

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stoker said:

Bill, I will have a look through my photo archives and see if I have anything from the 90s in high res and colour that could be used as a more appropriate background. I think I might have some shots of the Nanpean and Carbis areas that could work.

Hi Stoker

Thanks for that.

I took some pictures in the summer of 2011.They are useful but as I hadn't thought of using them as a background weren't composed ideally.

The one I used was if I recall correctly taken from a viewpoint on a side road off to the left as you approach St Dennis from the A30

IMG_3894.resized.JPG.292dcb21214326e84d67ef2bfd9cb498.JPG

A nice picture but I don't have one that follows on naturally on either side.

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2019 at 20:19, Siberian Snooper said:

Pete  Lindsay,  there's a blast from the past and a master class in being miserable, I certainly don't think he ever went on a customer relations course.

Sorry to go off topic Bill, but I was introduced to Pete by a good friend (Terry Radford - sadly passed away many years ago), who was an expert modeller (most of EM or latterly 0 gauge Somerset and Dorset Railway locos being scratch built). Pete had the utmost respect for Terry, so I was always treated well by Pete. A small shop, with plenty of boxes of stuff. Finding things was tricky, but ask Pete where a part was and he would tell you which box to look in! Sadly, the arcade has been demolished a few months ago.

Anyway, back to the modelling. Looking great and hope to catch up sometime.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Sorry to go off topic Bill, but I was introduced to Pete by a good friend (Terry Radford - sadly passed away many years ago), who was an expert modeller (most of EM or latterly 0 gauge Somerset and Dorset Railway locos being scratch built). Pete had the utmost respect for Terry, so I was always treated well by Pete. A small shop, with plenty of boxes of stuff. Finding things was tricky, but ask Pete where a part was and he would tell you which box to look in! Sadly, the arcade has been demolished a few months ago.

Anyway, back to the modelling. Looking great and hope to catch up sometime.

Hi Richard

I can picture him sat behind the counter now.......

I can't remember him ever coming 'out front' as it were but he knew exactly where everything was.....

As you say a small shop seemingly crammed with goodies......

He was always polite to me & seemed quite happy to take my money......

Happy memories of the Arcade....I seem to remember there was a Cafe opposite.....Useful for parking SWMBO !!!!!!

Thanks for the comment & look forward to catching up with you sometime.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi

Well a long time since posting but some progress has been made.....

Firstly this is the most I've ever 'played' with a layout trying to get it running as smooth as possible before finishing the scenics.Even though it has already been to a show.

Although I didn't have any major problems this was probably due to mainly running large loco's rather than short wheel base loco's.

Many moons ago I bought a Hornby Sentinel & resprayed it into 'ECC' blue.....

Well although I was happy with how it looked it never ran well due mainly to my rough track on Penhallick Junction....

So I added a permantly coupled wagon with extra pick ups which was fine except......

It just didn't have enough Oomph to haul more than a couple of wagons due to its lack of weight......

Then it started to derail the fixed wagon due to the linking wires......

So I took it apart....Sorted out the pick ups....Added more weight.....& it started to perform......

Then it started to show up ALL the slightest imperfections of my pointwork.....

So a period of adjustments to the points followed......

It now runs fine & will haul 9 CDA's with ease when shunting which is the longest train I can accomodate.....

Now it would appear that rather than use Hornby CDA's to test my track I must use the Sentinel.

It awaits weathering & when done I'll post some pics....Otherwise a trip to my Penhallick Junction thread will show it as I used it on my last couple of shows.

Moving on I spotted this on Ebay for 60 Quid including postage.....

IMG_1635.resized.JPG.4007438d6e1cc211fc05f23bdd0df522.JPGIMG_1636.resized.JPG.9d0be6c4502ae88e54bdfbd556afd192.JPG

Seemed a bargain to me so as can be seen I bought one......

It ran nicely straight out of the box but like Bachmann loco's doesn't really like feedback controllers....A bit like it's trying to run with the brakes on is how I'd describe it....

Anyway I took it apart & resprayed it.....

So far so good....Nicely made & got it into lots of bits so all could be sprayed.......

I took the wheelset out as I was going to respray them but in the end thought it loojed good with the original red wheels......

The pick ups are great....But could I get them back in so all 6 wheels would collect current....NO !!!!!

So after nearly a whole day off & on reassembling it I bit the bullet & fitted new pick ups.....

She now runs fine after running in again but still runs like Bachmann loco's do......

But for the price it's a nice loco....

IMG_1638.resized.JPG.ddd851880410176d7dcbc62418fe18c7.JPGIMG_1640.resized.JPG.b02dc9719bbe6bf1673255a302e5c03b.JPGIMG_6975.resized.JPG.62c74dd36e8cf3bed4c9e3c67ea7859b.JPG

There have been a couple of other developments which I will endeavour to update some time soon.....

Well hopefully I'll update again soon.....

Been on holiday the last couple of weeks but with the good weather I've been doing other things.

Back to Work on Monday.....Filling shelves or whatever I'm tasked with.....

Stay safe in these difficult times....

Bill

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Hi treggyman,

I've just come across this while googling something else clay related.

I'm currently working on refurbishing my Cornish layout Trevanna. I don't have as much space as on Hendra though but I'm in the process of putting things back.

Cheers.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi treggyman,

I've just come across this while googling something else clay related.

I'm currently working on refurbishing my Cornish layout Trevanna. I don't have as much space as on Hendra though but I'm in the process of putting things back.

Cheers.

Hi

I've been following your layout since you started your thread on it.......Though I don't think I've posted on it......

It's certainly a nice layout with lot's of atmosphere.....

Keep up the good work.....

Cheers Bill

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Hi

Well after an age I've got Hendra down from it's shelves ,dusted it down & checked it all works.......

It does now after one minor repair.......The point into the Linhay .... Not one but both blades had come adrift from the tiebar.....Now safely soldered back together.....

A good trackclean & all seems fine.....

The reason for all this activity is that the layout is appearing at the Cornwall O Gauge Group's exhibition at Carn Brea leisure centre Redruth this Sunday 30th October........

Having taken a good look at it I decided that it needed more grass/bushes/trees so this evening was spent adding groundcover which I think improves the look no end though more could be done,

Previous evenings have been spent repairing the Linhay roof which had started to delaminate & wheel cleaning & adding couplings to a couple of the loco's.

The Dapol 122 has now stopped driving on both axles so a new drive shaft will have to be made.....As I did for my Grandsons & his now works fine......

I doubt if I'll get that done in time but he's bringing his so there's no panic....

Anyway if you're at the show be sure to say hello to either me my son or grandson....Or indeed all three.....

Hopefully I'll get some pics.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

On 26/10/2022 at 22:34, Stubby47 said:

Bill,

Will see you there, I'm bringing a Modulus layout.

Hi Stu

'Twas good to see you again today & have good a chat......

Certainly a n interesting setup the Modulus  layout you were exhibiting......But not for me though I can see the draw......

Cheers Bill

Well all done & dusted...Exhibition finished at 4pm & all unloaded & put away before 5pm....It helps that I only live 10 mins away.......It would actually have been quicker to walk if it wasn't for the layout transport!!!!!!

A big thankyou the the Cornwall O Gauge group for their invite & hospitality.....

The show seemed well patronised & there were some good layouts & a nice selection of traders.

Set up last night.......One point refused to work at all......

After much searching I found that there was no power getting to the point motor....

Following the wiring I traced the fault to a loose wire in the cross board power connectors.....

Previously this point had made a clicking noise when switched sometimes one way sometimes both & occasionally it did not click.....

I had changed the motor & this seemed to cure the problem.....But ....I suspect the problem was actually an intermittent poor connection causing the point to switch itself on & off & the last time I disconnected the 'D ' connectors a proper break formed......

Easily remedied once the fault located......

Below a pic of the erected layout...

IMG_4823.JPG.866eb7c00dca81c3adf33da7ad1abe83.JPG

Note the new Hendra sign that I am quite pleased with....Done by a local sign producer.....

The other signs were bought off that wonderful auction site....

IMG_4824.JPG.e229a4e2d227554920704d7db53b0905.JPG

I'll post some pics in the next post.

Cheers Bill

• Like 7