meanach

6 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Here is my N gauge version scratchbuilt from various thicknesses of plasticard and microstrip. Chassis uses W Irons and castings from the 2mm Scale Association

IMG_1095.png.87b35fe33cc4f2125cf084599c657be0.png

Cheers

Paul

That is a superb bit of modelling. Fancy knocking one (or 2!) up In 00 ?! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 03060 said:

The Belgian ferry van is possible in 4mm as seen in the 2nd to last photo on this groups website :

https://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/project_vans.html

I hope to emulate this in N gauge using a newly available chassis from the N gauge society having decided that it would be easier to scratchbuild the body rather than butcher one of the superb new rtr models. 

Liking the Cl 37/4 builds but why have you had to exchange the nose ends ?

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian 

The donor 37430 has a nose with a centre lamp iron that annoyingly is unique to 430 ! 401 & 422 had flat style centre lamp irons.

You could just cut off the lamp irons but then you lose the double bolt that should be there in its place.

In the case of 405, I have added the 2 western region ‘cow horn’ style lamp irons at each end. These are available from Brian at Shawplan. 

cheers 

Ian !

Edited by meanach
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hope that you don't mind Ian, a final post from me regarding the 1986  Belgian ferry van as I came across this colour image of the train previously shown as it left Crianlarich, posted as a link in respect to the photographer's request, Don Gatehouse.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lickeybanker/53137581897/in/photolist-2oXzZP8-2ajrA39-PQsoXz-2m2JNUt-9RAZ7e-2gzPgYj-29ty7Cv-jPhYtt-2iuTSEW-Ur4sFg-oMNAsF-2nsh7Qn-qtB9XE-TA6p83-FbGE4N-v88ZEG-rbxurw-2om7y8Q-wq1Kvx-2oPtYGz-f7qfPT-2nRgR2i-QhsfsE-YhV7vk-TZqu4T-q3J6Qx-29uZLr5-vttVV6-2gCPMsX-pMBXBF-2o9oSre-2n2qJRn-S9NhMJ-Px8g3h-Se9FoG-pS19QU-EtXG8T-cLvtiq-28J3vhb-UP9R7N-2ng3MmL-Xt17w6-2brUV9b-2bkSpfG-2o5iZ11-Wpp6xw-aWGpK2-djncij-9FCaVU-2jXjpQc

I couldn't find the George Woods photo in any of his Flickr albums I'm afraid.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 2

On the mermaid theme mentioned earlier I saw on YouTube clip 37156 hauling one mermaid, a yellow tank wagon and bogie flat of some variety. This was 1991 mind but another sighting! Quite easy to reproduce. The clip was filmed at Mossend yard so the train could have been going or coming from anywhere......

Makes me happier with my one mermaid wagon!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 03060 said:

Hope that you don't mind Ian, a final post from me regarding the 1986  Belgian ferry van as I came across this colour image of the train previously shown as it left Crianlarich, posted as a link in respect to the photographer's request, Don Gatehouse.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lickeybanker/53137581897/in/photolist-2oXzZP8-2ajrA39-PQsoXz-2m2JNUt-9RAZ7e-2gzPgYj-29ty7Cv-jPhYtt-2iuTSEW-Ur4sFg-oMNAsF-2nsh7Qn-qtB9XE-TA6p83-FbGE4N-v88ZEG-rbxurw-2om7y8Q-wq1Kvx-2oPtYGz-f7qfPT-2nRgR2i-QhsfsE-YhV7vk-TZqu4T-q3J6Qx-29uZLr5-vttVV6-2gCPMsX-pMBXBF-2o9oSre-2n2qJRn-S9NhMJ-Px8g3h-Se9FoG-pS19QU-EtXG8T-cLvtiq-28J3vhb-UP9R7N-2ng3MmL-Xt17w6-2brUV9b-2bkSpfG-2o5iZ11-Wpp6xw-aWGpK2-djncij-9FCaVU-2jXjpQc

I couldn't find the George Woods photo in any of his Flickr albums I'm afraid.

Regards,

Ian.

That’s a very interesting photo! For starters that’s a quite an unusual 37 to see a phot of on the WHL. The 4th wagon back looks like a Dutch livery OCA? If it is I had no idea they were even painted in that scheme that early.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, meanach said:

That’s a very interesting photo! For starters that’s a quite an unusual 37 to see a phot of on the WHL. The 4th wagon back looks like a Dutch livery OCA? If it is I had no idea they were even painted in that scheme that early.

Possibly OCAs but my first impression was that they were the lower profiled SPAs, would need to compare a few other photos to confirm one way or the other. I think that wagon 6 may be an OCA.

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2023 at 00:57, meanach said:

the 2 western region ‘cow horn’ style lamp irons at each end. These are available from Brian at Shawplan. 

I need some of these and some of his windscreen wipers for several of my 37's.  Looking on the Shawplan website I see DP45-09LW which are described as L shaped lamp brackets; do you recall if these are what you bought? Likewise with windscreen wipers where there is the choice of medium and large sizes; do you know which fits the older style Bachmann 37? 

3 minutes ago, young37215 said:

I need some of these and some of his windscreen wipers for several of my 37's.  Looking on the Shawplan website I see DP45-09LW which are described as L shaped lamp brackets; do you recall if these are what you bought? Likewise with windscreen wipers where there is the choice of medium and large sizes; do you know which fits the older style Bachmann 37? 

I would hazard a guess that the medium ones fit the unmodified windows and the large ones are to fit the Shawplan frames? I’m sure Brian would confirm. If emailing him please note the change of address at the top of the web page rather than the email link further down. I had to get in touch with him last week.

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, young37215 said:

42 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

I would hazard a guess that the medium ones fit the unmodified windows and the large ones are to fit the Shawplan frames? I’m sure Brian would confirm. If emailing him please note the change of address at the top of the web page rather than the email link further down. I had to get in touch with him last week.

When I backdated by Accurascale 37419 to 37415 I used the following parts:

> DP45-09LW WR lamp irons (‘cow horns’),
> EEDP37-12(a2) backplate with horns
> EEDP37-12(b) original screens
> EEFG37-12a Laserglaze for the above.

The wipers you want are the EEDP55-20 Wipers

Tim

image.png.1ccb15d019bdde1c388c1bca8a686d57.png

Edited by 97406
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bachmann 37 Mk3 ? Butchery ! 

As the company that was milling out my chassis blocks for me has ceased to offer the service, my hand has been forced to seek alternatives to the dreadful factory speakers. 

The fan recess (on none deluxe models) is a perfect fit for a Rail Exlusive ‘Boomer’ speaker. The bigger problem is the larger speaker. 

As I had to hand a spare chassis , I set about experimenting. Trying not to damage the fine detail and preserving the gap between the tanks. I have found that a Rail Exclusive ‘Boomer’ (or now discontinued Zimo small dumbo) is a perfect fit.

This entails removing the switch (it’s plugged in) and carefully drilling / filing out the larger of the 2 tanks. Handily, the switch recess acts as a way to let the sound out. The 2 metal chassis lugs also need snipping off. 

Finally , a blob of black tack should stop any unwanted vibrations. This is of course, very much work in progress! 

IMG_7174.jpeg

IMG_7177.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I

7 hours ago, 03060 said:

I saw that , I already have a couple and find them to be too light and so disappointing runners. The new Rapido OAA on the other hand are impressively heavy. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Is the sound of the new Bachmann 37s that bad? I was tempted to get one each from Model railways direct (currently £172.00 each) but did wonder if its better to get unsound fitted and then add it from someone else.

Mike Bravo

On 14/12/2023 at 18:06, G-DIMB said:

Is the sound of the new Bachmann 37s that bad? I was tempted to get one each from Model railways direct (currently £172.00 each) but did wonder if its better to get unsound fitted and then add it from someone else.

Mike Bravo

In a word , yes! They sound extremely tinny straight out the box. The larger Bachmann speaker also is not glued or sealed so it vibrates / rattles horrifically . I can only assume their research and development department are deaf!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, meanach said:

A hard won 37 was this one ! Dodgy soldering sockets , dud bogies (after I’d weathered everything and reattached the bogie chains !) . A bogie swap later and re attaching some detail that fell off , 37260 is finally in service ! The first ready out of 5 I’ve been working on since last Autumn.

Although some of the delay is due to having elderly , unwell parents to look after , a lot of the extra time it’s taken is purely down to the frustration of Bachmann’s poor quality control.  

The speakers are an essential upgrade and this one has had its chassis milled by Simon at Proper sounds. Unfortunately he’s stopped this service as he’s busy with Revolution trains. 

Ploughs are Heljan class 47 from the old tool version. As the Bachmann ones are only fit for the bin. 

IMG_7807.jpeg

IMG_7805.jpeg

I feel your pain! There's definitely a few issues with the new Bachmann 37, but a good model results and that looks smashing!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, meanach said:

A hard won 37 was this one ! Dodgy soldering sockets , dud bogies (after I’d weathered everything and reattached the bogie chains !) . A bogie swap later and re attaching some detail that fell off , 37260 is finally in service ! The first ready out of 5 I’ve been working on since last Autumn.

Although some of the delay is due to having elderly , unwell parents to look after , a lot of the extra time it’s taken is purely down to the frustration of Bachmann’s poor quality control.  

The speakers are an essential upgrade and this one has had its chassis milled by Simon at Proper sounds. Unfortunately he’s stopped this service as he’s busy with Revolution trains. 

Ploughs are Heljan class 47 from the old tool version. As the Bachmann ones are only fit for the bin. 

IMG_7807.jpeg

IMG_7805.jpeg

Well it looks superb now !!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1