meanach

A job that’s been on my ‘to do’ list for a very long time was finally completed this week - the installation of a subway / stair light . 

Having gone to the trouble 9 years ago or so of making and joining up the stairs it has been in darkness ever since . After crawling around under the base boards for an hour oh how I wish I’d done it at the time I installed it ! A little yellow paint needed to be added , like most modern led based lights, it was initially too white .

F6F7415A-EE17-46EC-B736-0D45EC8B54F2.jpeg

Edited by meanach
Missing image
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 07/11/2019 at 21:13, young37215 said:

The link below shows a regular WHL service with green and cream coaches from the steam set in 1986 so you could justifiably run these on Meanach as well as the Sealink liveried ones. 

Approaching Bridge of Orchy

Cheers ! If I can bank roll enough for a full set !  They tend to command a high price . 

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, meanach said:

Cheers ! If I can bank roll enough for a full set !  They tend to command a high price . 

It's only two coaches which should only need half a mortgage!

Like the underpass light, I need to do something similar with Crianlarich. Fortunately I have not glued the subway in place yet so I can access it to attach the light without having to perform contortions under the baseboard. 

Might be a bit left field but, ex LNER J36 673 Maude did a couple of weeks on the West Highland extension back in July of '84. Train of 2 mk1's in blue/gray with ScotRail logo's a BSO+TSO(orSO)combo. There are just two pictures in the OPC book "West Highland Mallaig extension" , strangley non appear on the net although it did do a few mainline trips early in the '70s and around 1980. Not much difference cost wise between that and the Highlander coaches but Ebay is showing a few Maude's TTS equiped at under £150 and the coaches being B/G have other uses. Enjoying the layout.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi . I’ve obtained a rake of 4 tourist green & cream coaches thanks to a friendly fellow R.M Webber offering me them at a very fair price.

They are currently in the works having their ribbed roof filed off and obsolete water filler steps cut away . I will then re-spray the roves and ends and give them a light weathering . Also seats to be painted and passengers installed .  

Edited by meanach
Missing word
  • Like 2

The Sprinter invasion of early 89 has started !

Possibly one of the most playable sound projects by Legomanbiffo yet !

Superbly captured , the engine noise and the c.d.l with delayed hustle alarm is just so realistic . The I phone speakers are questionable and I will be looking to replace these ASAP in order to do this brilliant model justice.

Love them or loath them , 156s have now been the longest serving , most successful traction on the west highland line. 

6C0C9D4A-2281-44BF-86FB-2A37BB60697A.jpeg

709BA2CA-9CD9-4938-9291-ACD579984F0B.jpeg

AD408842-7434-47D6-852D-06166FFE7C1D.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Having been lucky enough to see Meanach in the flesh yesterday, I can vouch for its quality. Visually the layout is so clearly set in the Scottish highlands it doesn’t really need a title. 

Still hate the Sprinter though even if it’s a cracking model!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, young37215 said:

Having been lucky enough to see Meanach in the flesh yesterday, I can vouch for its quality. Visually the layout is so clearly set in the Scottish highlands it doesn’t really need a title. 

Still hate the Sprinter though even if it’s a cracking model!

And to think he was talking about getting another to play with the coupling procedures.

lol

Doug

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Populated and speaker upgraded, excellent (if delicate!) Real track models class 156.

It may be ‘plastic’ but despite not being a loco it has amazing play ability . Thanks largely to the Legomanbiffo sound project . A project not done justice by the iPhone speakers it comes with , why do people rate these?

After some trial and error , 1 car has a single Zimo dumbo in the fuel tank and the other , much easier option , has a You Choose dual ice cube 55x18x7 which ‘just’ (and I mean just!) fits in the roof . The 2 sets of speakers offer a nice balance and certainly sound far less tinny in the flesh. I’ve had to turn the volume down quite a bit as these kick out more watts than the struggling I phone speaker. 

Edited by meanach
Typing mistake
  • Like 3

Here is the comparison. In all honesty , despite being smoother than the ice cube , for the effort it’s probably easier just to replace the roof speaker . These are very delicate models and inevitably I ended up re-gluing numerous parts that dropped off . Handily though the sub chassis has a channel and hole cut into it to allow for speaker installation. Not sure why they went with the iPhone speaker in the roof , cost maybe ? Only Charlie will know that . I STRONGLY recommend the upgrade as the sound project is excellent .  

IMG_6669.jpeg

Edited by meanach
Broken link to vid
  • Like 1

Class 156 heads out of Meanach and thrashes up the bank . 
It looks much better for being populated but only Preiser figures fit the narrow seats . Several hours of painting figures later and there are about 15/16 in each car . Meanach’s  station master has started a new career as a guard... de staffing of highland stations and all that ! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice job Ian, I completely agree with you about the iPhone speaker I have come to think its just being pushed by people who sell them.  There are far better speakers available that are just as easy to install..

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

I made the long trip to Model rail Scotland yesterday . Due to the Marches being closed due to the track bed being washed away north of Abergavenny , I went via Paddington & Euston (One perk of working on the large scale railway !) .

it was a great show and I spoke to the friendly chaps at Accurascale and twisted their arm for some more Scottish 37s ! 

I also met the very nice young chap from Primo models . The trees from whom are pictured . Stunning trees and they were between £6 - £8 a tree . Given their quality , which is on a par with any other European bespoke scenery maker , this is very good value . I’ve been busy ‘planting ‘ this afternoon. Here are some of the 6 I bought . 

B130682F-699F-4686-8665-14CA8441C75E.jpeg

F2BBB7D0-629E-49FE-9295-98B095321384.jpeg

9EF30073-00CB-44B6-918B-12D82FA0E0E2.jpeg

Edited by meanach
Broken link /server .
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I also couldn’t resist this little beauty on TMC stand . Although it pre dates my era , I’ve always wanted a 27. 

Heres 029s debut , seen crossing the river out of Meanach . 

CCD15F56-BB57-46C8-A507-6D52911258B0.jpeg

Edited by meanach
Broken files
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, young37215 said:

Nice, an NB one on passenger service in February would be rather chilly though. Always enjoy hearing them splutter away, the last ones made it to 1987 so you aren’t far out.

I think this one is accurate Circa 84/85

• Like 1