Craft Knife Blade Sharpening Stone Question.

when we had our carpets fitted the 2 men each had stanley knives. After every few cuts they would sharpen blade, with little  sharpening stones in their pockets. I asked them how often they changed their blades.  We have use these for 4 weeks, was the reply, we are only supplied, so many a year, and they sharpen very simply. john

I use one of those diamond ingrained stones in a plastic holder, just wet it and sharpen Stanley knife blades, thing I got 3 from pound land for a £1, but not seen them on sale for some time.

Finish them off with a leather belt.

I've found the best Stanley blades are the ones made in the UK or USA, it's stamped on them.

I find lots of orginial Stanley knifes on car boots, often there is a full set of unused blades in the handle with the rust proof paper, usually the blade in use is very rusty yet the spares unused, I often wonder if people realise there are spare blades in the handle.

That's what the very faded print on the side of the box says 'Tool sharpenng oilstone'. I bought it from dear old Fred Pond in Welwyn Garden town centre when I was about 16, with no query about what it was precisely. How I miss that shop, still got the tools I bought there, cared for as instructed. It may have taken twenty minutes for one of the brothers to recall where the item required was located and then to fetch it from wherever it was stored, but every visit was an education.

• Like 4

I've used an oilstone with my craft knife for years. A quick resharpen after every few cuts does the job. The stone is actually pre-war, inherited from my Grandad. I only ever change the blade if I break the tip, and even then may keep it for certain uses.

Stewart

I've used an oilstone with my craft knife for years. A quick resharpen after every few cuts does the job. The stone is actually pre-war, inherited from my Grandad. I only ever change the blade if I break the tip, and even then may keep it for certain uses.

Stewart

Stewart, what oil ( (if any) do you use on it, or do you use water?

• RMweb Premium

I can't get supplies of new scalpel blades where I am, so I usually sharpen mine on a 1960s vintage Norton India Oilstone I inherited. They are still available, but they now come from the US, instead of being "Made in England", and cost a small fortune.

The sharpened blades are good enough for card and styrene sheet, but if I need to cut paper it is better to start with a new blade.

David

Edited by Kylestrome

I use 3 in 1, can you still get it? I have had the can for years.

Probably had my can for 30+ years, but it has now run out. A quick search shows it is still available. Screwfix, Halfords, Wickes and many others. Even Tesco, but probably only in their larger branches.

Probably had my can for 30+ years, but it has now run out. A quick search shows it is still available. Screwfix, Halfords, Wickes and many others. Even Tesco, but probably only in their larger branches.

Of course these days they might well have tinkered with the formulation!

Tim T

I use one of those diamond ingrained stones in a plastic holder, just wet it and sharpen Stanley knife blades, thing I got 3 from pound land for a £1, but not seen them on sale for some time.

Finish them off with a leather belt.

I've found the best Stanley blades are the ones made in the UK or USA, it's stamped on them.

I find lots of orginial Stanley knifes on car boots, often there is a full set of unused blades in the handle with the rust proof paper, usually the blade in use is very rusty yet the spares unused, I often wonder if people realise there are spare blades in the handle.

A proper diamond sharpening stone will cost you rather more than  £1.

The local county show had a chap selling a selection of them and I bought a couple a few years ago. Expensive, but they do seem to work.

Amazon offer a small selection but I have no idea as to what they are like.

Bernard

I can't get supplies of new scalpel blades where I am, so I usually sharpen mine on a 1960s vintage Norton India Oilstone I inherited. They are still available, but they now come from the US, instead of being "Made in England", and cost a small fortune.

The sharpened blades are good enough for card and styrene sheet, but if I need to cut paper it is better to start with a new blade.

David

I sharpen my scalpel blades on a Tam o Shanter ‘ Water of Ayr’ stone with a bit of water, or spit, to lubricate.

These stones were highly prized worldwide for sharpening surgical instruments but the mine and hone mill closed many years ago. I got mine from my Grandfather. My maternal Grandmother also worked in the hone mill when she was a young woman.

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't use that around plastic models. From experience, it affects the plastic.

Stewart

Never had a problem in 40 odd years, I always wipe the blade in a bit of rag dipped in solvent after sharpening any tools as taught to me by my apprentice training insinstructor.

Of course these days they might well have tinkered with the formulation!

Tim T

They've certainly changed the bottle to a plastic thing rather than the correct, slightly squashed and perpetually a bit leaky, tin design :D.

Stewart, what oil ( (if any) do you use on it, or do you use water?

When I was taught how to sharpen chisels on an oil stone the instructor, a joiner of the old school, maintained that spermwhale oil gave the keenest edge. He also used to remove the ‘beard’ on the edge of his hand, same principle as stropping on a strip of leather but always to hand!

Ian.

I just noticed that I use a banned word,

Edited by ian@stenochs
  • Like 1