HST retirements and secondary deployments.

• RMweb Premium

I don't want to digress too much, but I think the NRM are very good at preserving the big sexy crowd pullers, but where are the humble mundane things that most people traveled in? Where is the example of an SR EPB that took millions to work over nearly half a century? Where is the 1st generation dmu? Where in fact is the MK1 carriage?

Rant over. I do enjoy a visit there, but would like to see more of the mundane stuff that most of us travelled in.

I fail to see any reason whatever for the NRM to display the likes of a MK1 carriage or even anything other than a token DMU as the large Heritage railway sector in the UK makes extensive use of the former while quite a few examples of the latter have also found a homes on said Heritage Railways.

The NRM does not have the spaces or resources to duplicate what already exists in the wider Heritage movement - which is why the T3 was gifted to the Swanage Railway or a Bulleid coach (now undergoing a 25 year overhaul + lease arrangement at Roply) was gifted to the Bluebell Railway several years ago.

What has really suffered in the preservation stakes are EMUs - which for a whole variety if reasons are not particularly useful nor attractive crowd pullers and have largely been shunned by Heritage Railways as a result. As you say where is the EPB carriage (Note the HAP that is being restored is the BR equivalent of the SR built 2BIL unit - while an EPB driving car could be thought of as the BR version of the 1924 built 3SUB driving car the NRM have), or the 4CIG driving vehicle (the BR equivalent of the 4COR). Will we see the likes of a 455 and a Elecostar / Desiro saved to continue the story when they are eventually replaced. What about AC EMUs - OK the NRM  may well be claiming a 313 and Scotland a 314, but where is the example of the 1st generation units built for WCML services?

• RMweb Gold

The NRMs 101 is on the north Norfolk railway and is a bodged rust bucket . Its in service but pretty horrible with seats that are freyed and holed while their own one sits out of traffic for some reason

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the shadow of the now closed Ferrybridge Power Station, looking very smart and ready for service with ScotRail, HST power cars 43036 and 43134 head north on 9th March 2018 with 0S04, 07.48 Loughborough Brush to Craigentinny T&RSMD.

post-414-0-71998400-1520603979.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I know the plan is to run shortened rakes in Scotland, but even so!! :jester:

Probably lower track access charges than ones with intermediate trailers. The Scots are reported to be 'frugal' though I believe Yorkshiremen find them profligate.

Hat, coat etc etc

• RMweb Gold

I know the plan is to run shortened rakes in Scotland, but even so!! :jester:

Make 'em stand.  Stops complaints about the seats being too hard.   :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well that is another livery ! I do wonder if part of the spec is to make replication as awkward as possible ...  I wonder at the fail on the window surround to to replicate the direction of the front slope - a feature that sat so well on the first and finest application back in 1976.

Unless kept really clean even with hand bashing the lower details in the vinyls will soon be obscured leaving   effectively two raised digits  in light blue and one in dark blue - both quite effective handsignals ! perhaps the designers have something after all ?

At least it means another 10 years of the finest

Robert  

• RMweb Gold

I didn't get an opportunity to post this one earlier from today - a close up of the bodyside graphic on power car 43036.  Sorry it's not a proper side on photo, but that wasn't possible from my vantage point.

post-414-0-38333000-1520624619.jpg

IMHO a lot of Train Operating Companies liveries and branding are pretty bland and just seem to me to be an excuse for the graphic designer to exercise their colour palette.  I feel that this ScotRail livery is different and a step up from the normal offering.  It does show some thought from whoever wrote the original brief to the creative agency and the graphic designers who have done the work.  I doubt it has been done 'in house' by ScotRail, but I'm happy to be corrected on that point.

From a marketing perspective it would seem as though ScotRail is attempting to introduce a specific and distinct brand for the services that these HSTs will cover.  It will be interesting to see if the exterior and interior of the Mk3 coaches matches the overall branding;  Plus supporting signage at stations, posters and leaflets and the like.

Of course, the branding and marketing will 'count for nowt' unless the service delivery is up to what ScotRail's passengers deserve and expect.

• Like 8

Probably lower track access charges than ones with intermediate trailers. The Scots are reported to be 'frugal' though I believe Yorkshiremen find them profligate.

Hat, coat etc etc

I know it is not meant seriously, but I have to say that since moving from England to Scotland in 1984 I have found the reputed meanness of Scots to be as far from the truth as possible (although the Scots themselves do sometimes allege that Aberdonians have rather tight fists !)

• Like 1

Like the livery.

The diagonal of the dark colour over on the "guard's van" doors might run the opposite way to the diagonal of the nose, but it does run parallel-ish to the blue-into-white of the skyline decoration.

Mind you, there's going to be some wag commenting on the Inter City 125 becoming an Inter City 7 when it got to Scotrail. 

• RMweb Premium

There is a regular flow of out of service IC125 sets from GWR going on now, with 2 x power cars + 4 trailers reaching www.ukrl.co.uk at Leicester former TMD sidings. The 43s are then coupled back-back to run up to Wabtec [brush Traction] at Loughborough after a few days for refurb before dispatch for Scotrail in their new livery. They can then be seen outside in the works yard for a few days after outshopping for testing. Meanwhile the trailer cars are sandwiched between the Mk1 barrier vehicles before being hauled off, usualy by 37s, for storage.

Here is a scene earlier this week with EMT 43066 looking on, a pair of ex-GW 43's in the sidings, and a 56 having a demo for some VIPs. One of the 2 class 50's headed north on Monday. Lots of heritage traction around Leicester, Loughborough, Derby and Burton these days!

post-14654-0-43951100-1520627985_thumb.jpg

Dava

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The ScotRail livery looks good on the power cars, something dignified for trains which I've lived most of my life with here on the GWML. Thanks for sharing the images.

Picking up on 4630's point about the silhouettes, I could see those being used, both grouped and individually, on publicity and timetables, they seem made for it. Incidentally, is that the power car number, or ScotRail on the front at the top of the coupling door?

• RMweb Gold

Incidentally, is that the power car number, or ScotRail on the front at the top of the coupling door?

It's the power car number, in very small numerals.

There is a regular flow of out of service IC125 sets from GWR going on now, with 2 x power cars + 4 trailers reaching www.ukrl.co.uk at Leicester former TMD sidings. The 43s are then coupled back-back to run up to Wabtec [brush Traction] at Loughborough after a few days for refurb before dispatch for Scotrail in their new livery. They can then be seen outside in the works yard for a few days after outshopping for testing. Meanwhile the trailer cars are sandwiched between the Mk1 barrier vehicles before being hauled off, usualy by 37s, for storage.

Here is a scene earlier this week with EMT 43066 looking on, a pair of ex-GW 43's in the sidings, and a 56 having a demo for some VIPs. One of the 2 class 50's headed north on Monday. Lots of heritage traction around Leicester, Loughborough, Derby and Burton these days!

attachicon.gifIC125 Lcr 6318.jpg

Dava

I thought they ran to Ely, dropped off the unwanted trailers, continued to Doncaster with the trailers for conversion and then the powercars ran on to Leicester for Scottish lessons.

• RMweb Premium

I thought they ran to Ely, dropped off the unwanted trailers, continued to Doncaster with the trailers for conversion and then the powercars ran on to Leicester for Scottish lessons.

Several trailer sets made it to Leicester which have to be tripped to their destination, there are 2 sets of barrier vehicles there when not in use.

Dava

That Grey on the ScR power cars is looking Grubby already in test service

Are we supposed to be surprised?

White and light grey are stupid colours for train liveries especially if they are vinyled as dirt sticks to it much more than to a high gloss 2 pack paint finish.

Anyone over 6ft tall will have to be careful as they enter or leave the coaches as they are a bit low.

I would just like to compliment Laira on sorting out the 'issues' the coaches were delivered with, I didnt expect the coaches out for a few more days after reading about and seeing all the problems, well done Lads.

• Like 2

A close up of the doors of 48101 and 48102 at Truro today on the first working into Cornwall of the 4 Car HST Set

IMG_6478-L.jpg

Well that's going to confuse a few HST customers, 'Where's the door handles?" - much better from the guards point of view, no need to walk down 8 coaches shutting doors anymore.

• Like 2