HST retirements and secondary deployments.

I'm guessing that Botanic Gardens is not appropriate (nor are Paragon CS), and Bounds Green can't accommodate either?

I thought Neville Hill serviced the Hull Pulman HST set each night?

It has been reported tonight on BBC Look North - Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire that one of the Managers from Hulltrains has posted video on YouTube of a video of a 1970's spare set which has been hired in (obviously a HST) for training.

No pictures from the video as it just showed the Class 180 units in the article. Nothing on HT Website, Facebook Page or Twitter feeds.

• Like 1

All the available depots are full so cannot take on any more servicing, the only one available is Crofton and they are not equipped to service HSTs even in the short term. 

Discussions are on going but going nowhere at present.

Edited by royaloak

I'm informed that the Hull Hire-in will now be happening. The former OC32 set - 5 of it's vehicles are currently "stored" in Long Rock will be used with, According to Rail Forums, the allocated power cars will be 43165 and 43190 - subject to the usual. 

There also seems to be some to-ing and fro-ing of stored sets happening this week, with 2 complete sets joining the buffet cars in storage in Landore - although these will be rotated pending service requirements with one set coming out of store again this week and running straight back to Devon where it was pressed into service. 

Hull Trains have now added a press release to their website with a video update from their MD. 

https://www.hulltrains.co.uk/about-us/news/2018/12/latest-update-from-our-md-191218/#.XBr5zKecZQJ

Edited by surfsup

I'm informed that the Hull Hire-in will now be happening. The former OC32 set - 5 of it's vehicles are currently "stored" in Long Rock will be used with, According to Rail Forums, the allocated power cars will be 43165 and 43190 - subject to the usual. 

There also seems to be some to-ing and fro-ing of stored sets happening this week, with 2 complete sets joining the buffet cars in storage in Landore - although these will be rotated pending service requirements with one set coming out of store again this week and running straight back to Devon where it was pressed into service. 

Hull Trains have now added a press release to their website with a video update from their MD. 

https://www.hulltrains.co.uk/about-us/news/2018/12/latest-update-from-our-md-191218/#.XBr5zKecZQJ

Hmmm... An MD, Ms Cheesy Wotsit who knows nothing about the HST!

Yes Hulltrains staff may have to be trained into how to crew a HST set both on train on on the platforms but she gives the impression passengers in Hull or travelling from London up the East Cost do not know how to board slam door stock.

British Rail have been running HST's to Hull since the Deltics ended on the ECML. The odd one has also run up to Scarborough on the Hull to Beverley line and the Network Rail HST runs monthly to Hull.

The only place a gauging run would possibly be required is into each platform at Hull and also on the Hull to Doncaster route to check clearances. HT tend to run out of one platform but there is no reason why they need to stick with said platform as the early 6am/7am to London goes from the longest platform which all the charters and Royal Train uses.

The Doncaster route may need checking not so much platform clearances but more to do with rail heights as Network Rail doesn't always remove all the old ballast before laying the new ballast or replacement track. So in some places the clearances under bridges have been restricted due to their odd practice. Hull being a prime example.

I wonder where they got their information from?

Edited by royaloak

The Doncaster route may need checking not so much platform clearances but more to do with rail heights as Network Rail doesn't always remove all the old ballast before laying the new ballast or replacement track. So in some places the clearances under bridges have been restricted due to their odd practice. Hull being a prime example.

Are you saying HSTs are taller than 180s?

If not why would they need route clearing or have they lowered the suspension on the 180s so they fit under these limited clearance bridges which you appear to be the only one who knows about them?

• Agree 1

Are you saying HSTs are taller than 180s?

If not why would they need route clearing or have they lowered the suspension on the 180s so they fit under these limited clearance bridges which you appear to be the only one who knows about them?

Nope. It has been mentioned in the railway press since around 2000 if not before

What irritates the **** out of me is the reference to 'thermal incidents.'  I've been seeing more and more reference to these on National Incident Reports and my snowflake detector is on high alert accordingly.  

So FHT has half its fleet out of service due to 'thermal incidents.'  FFS this bullshlt should be banned, it's a f***** FIRE.

What irritates the **** out of me is the reference to 'thermal incidents.'  I've been seeing more and more reference to these on National Incident Reports and my snowflake detector is on high alert accordingly.  

So FHT has half its fleet out of service due to 'thermal incidents.'  FFS this bullshlt should be banned, it's a f***** FIRE.

Is a f****** FIRE different from an ordinary fire? 

Edited by royaloak

It's a flaming fire!

Hi Chard,

Ha ! Ha !     F****** / Flaming fire!    It would seem that you have been judged by way of someone else's standards.

Technically a fire is a heat incident and not a thermal incident but then those that abuse the language to such an extent almost certainly would not know what such words actually mean !

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium

Yes Hulltrains staff may have to be trained into how to crew a HST set both on train on on the platforms but she gives the impression passengers in Hull or travelling from London up the East Cost do not know how to board slam door stock.

British Rail have been running HST's to Hull since the Deltics ended on the ECML. The odd one has also run up to Scarborough on the Hull to Beverley line and the Network Rail HST runs monthly to Hull.

The only place a gauging run would possibly be required is into each platform at Hull and also on the Hull to Doncaster route to check clearances. HT tend to run out of one platform but there is no reason why they need to stick with said platform as the early 6am/7am to London goes from the longest platform which all the charters and Royal Train uses.

To my knowledge, Ms. Cheesman is a very experienced railway person, and does know what she’s talking about!

Technically a fire is a heat incident and not a thermal incident but then those that abuse the language to such an extent almost certainly would not know what such words actually mean !

Any chance of an explanation of the difference please? I googled and found nothing helpful. Ditto my OED.

Hull Doncaster is cleared for HSTs as the LNER service runs ecs via Goole and via Selby in service, all the main platform should still be passed for HSTs .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

The 11:03 from Inverurie to Glasgow Queen Street (1T78 as per real-time trains) was worked by a 2 + 4 HST today: 43148 + 41022 + 42030 + 42010 + 44010 + 43003. All except the first power car were in de-branded FGW livery with swing doors... The train was five minutes late leaving Dundee, but arrived at GQS five minutes early... Pictures taken at Dyce below.

Thanks,

Bill

post-1715-0-75259400-1546792893.jpg

post-1715-0-47139500-1546792902.jpg

post-1715-0-69793000-1546792911.jpg

post-1715-0-81743800-1546792918.jpg

• Like 14

• 2 months later...
On 06/01/2019 at 16:42, AberdeenBill said:

Hi all,

The 11:03 from Inverurie to Glasgow Queen Street (1T78 as per real-time trains) was worked by a 2 + 4 HST today: 43148 + 41022 + 42030 + 42010 + 44010 + 43003. All except the first power car were in de-branded FGW livery with swing doors... The train was five minutes late leaving Dundee, but arrived at GQS five minutes early... Pictures taken at Dyce below.

Thanks,

Bill

post-1715-0-75259400-1546792893.jpg

post-1715-0-47139500-1546792902.jpg

post-1715-0-69793000-1546792911.jpg

post-1715-0-81743800-1546792918.jpg

It's quite easy for the HSTs to make up time, all services are still timed for 170s.

In related news, now up to 11 "Classic" sets, 4 training sets, 2 refurbished sets up here and a third on the way soon now.

With Wabtec Kilmarnock now set to do a number of ScotRail sets, hopefully the aim of all 26 refurbished sets on traffic by December will go without further issues.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Although they are not always using refurbished sets there are crew training runs with 2+4 sets taking place  between Bristol and Cardiff, and also between Bristol and Weston/Taunton.

Here is a refurbished set at Weston-super-Mare on 21/3/2019

46531609175_3d541fecfa_k.jpgCrew training HST Gti at Weston-super-Mare by Kevin Redwood, on Flickr

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 7

seems to be some gossip about some use on north wales coast.

any facts?

for may timetable change  !?- seems optimistic if need referbs!

(it can be my 'local patch')

thanks for any info

regards

m

Edited by mikejames
minor spelling issue
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Four + two set yesterday after a fatal collision with a car on Stoke Canon level crossing which is a few miles north of Exeter.

Unusual to see these in these parts. Of course they may not now be unusual as I don't get to see the big railway much.

2095200550_HSTStokeCanon.jpg.7b1fa74b31fa569ae1dce74b94b16ee7.jpg

• Like 3

On 25/03/2019 at 21:58, mikejames said:

seems to be some gossip about some use on north wales coast.

any facts?

for may timetable change  !?- seems optimistic if need referbs!

(it can be my 'local patch')

thanks for any info

regards

m

Heard this doing the rounds recently too, will be very interesting...

• Like 1