trackplans for a 3ft (L) x 1ft (w) OO gauge shunting layout

Lu4472ke

Hi all

I am planning to build a OO gauge shunting layout with the measurements of 3 foot (length) by 1 foot (width) I've come up with a few ideas but I was wondering what the other users of RMweb could produce.

This is my first one. apologies for the low quality, but hopefully you can see the trackplan.

post-32425-0-37230600-1516111845_thumb.jpg

And here are my other ideas.

post-32425-0-89242700-1516112060_thumb.jpg

post-32425-0-31321000-1516112084_thumb.jpg

post-32425-0-54117500-1516112121_thumb.jpg

post-32425-0-85466900-1516112267_thumb.jpg

post-32425-0-81379100-1516112444_thumb.jpg

I would also like to see your ideas, or how I could change some of the ones I've created 

My aim is to see if I can get as many sidings in as possible, to make it more enjoyable to operate.

I would also like to see your trackplan ideas that could fit in this space.

You can zig zag a single unit from top to bottom on the top one but you can't really run anything on the rest.   They need a second board and or a fiddle yard.  3ft is too short in 00 with bogie diesel units. Try N gauge.

You can zig zag a single unit from top to bottom on the top one but you can't really run anything on the rest.   They need a second board and or a fiddle yard.  3ft is too short in 00 with bogie diesel units. Try N gauge.

The plan for this layout is to be an industrial/BR shunting layout. 

• RMweb Gold

The plan for this layout is to be an industrial/BR shunting layout.

Sounds good. To give you a bit more running length why not turn the track to fit diagonally across the board and have some sidings from this leading off to various industrial buildings?

All the best,

Keith

Sounds good. To give you a bit more running length why not turn the track to fit diagonally across the board and have some sidings from this leading off to various industrial buildings?

All the best,

Keith

Could you give an example?

You need enough room for a loco and at least one wagon clear of the point blades at each dead end if you are to do any shunting at all. You can't even get a loco from the bottom sidings to the top sidings on your last attempt. Everything needs to go 9" or so to the Right and add 9" of plain track on the stubs on the Left Hand end, if you can't lengthen the layout  by adding a shunting stub on the left hand end.

If you want to use ready to lay track the Peco streamline small Y is about the smallest point out there, quite a lot shorter than the Set Track left or right I would start with half a dozen small Ys and see what emerges.   If you are nifty with a hacksaw the Set Track points can be shortened and live frogged to save space, but I think you are proving 3ft is not long enough for what you want to achieve.

Kick back sidings are useless without ether a run round loop or a second engine.   Putting an engine shed/ loco workshop on a kick back works if you don't need to move wagons in and out, but I would think 4ft is tight let alone 3ft for what you want

• RMweb Premium

I have been known to disagree with DCB, but not on this occasion!  You just can't stick the toe of a point on the edge of your board and do anything with it.

Cheers

Chris

• 4 months later...

The trick is to concentrate all the points in the middle of the board.

To make a cascade of sidings, each long enough to accommodate the loco and a couple of wagons.

If the layout is to be self sustaining without any outside additions to allow loco and wagons to shunt clear of the scenic section.

Use Chris Nevard's 'Brew Street' as a design inspiration.

(Ideally the points would be Y and 3-way; rather than LH and RH but you could make/chop about the points to make a Barry slip which contract the space required for the LH and RH combinations.)

Operation would be an interesting shunting puzzle if some of the sidings are already occupied by previously placed rolling stock.

There is no runaround on that plan so a loco can only shunt the sidings on one side or the other, not both.

I think the only thing you realistically have space for is a 3:2:2 Inglenook.

Edited by jon_1066

There is no runaround on that plan so a loco can only shunt the sidings on one side or the other, not both.

Its two inglenooks back to back requiring two locos, twice the fun.  Or you can scenic it and have a hidden fiddle spur, or even a sector plate. No room for a run round in 3X1 in 00

post-21665-0-91754600-1529410726_thumb.png

post-21665-0-57409600-1529410730_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

I've come up with this:

post-32425-0-00459400-1531404565_thumb.png

I realised that the kickback siding wasn't a lot of use, so I came up with this:

post-32425-0-02486200-1531404883_thumb.png

I used Microsoft paint for this, so they don't look the best but (hopefully) they look like  trackplans.

• RMweb Premium

Regardless of whether or not they look like trackplans, they won't come close to fitting into 3'.  And you've still got the toe of a point against the left-hand edge.

Sorry!

Chris

Regardless of whether or not they look like trackplans, they won't come close to fitting into 3'.  And you've still got the toe of a point against the left-hand edge.

Sorry!

Chris

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Edited by lukeknights4472

Stick a sector plate instead of the L/H end points.   BTW   CJ Freezer didn't seem to do plans smaller than 4ft lng

I use Faststone image viewer, its free and great for re sizing pics and has enough functionality for my drawings. I can't get on with Paint.

post-21665-0-09802900-1531447331_thumb.png

Edited by DavidCBroad

Stick a sector plate instead of the L/H end points.   BTW   CJ Freezer didn't seem to do plans smaller than 4ft lng

I use Faststone image viewer, its free and great for re sizing pics and has enough functionality for my drawings. I can't get on with Paint.

That sounds like a good idea, I don't know if I've got the space.

I have decided to go with my own trackplan, because I think it will best suit my layout, and will be the most enjoyable to operate. Thank you for the all the brilliant suggestions, I will consider them for future projects.