On 19/11/2019 at 07:33, CloggyDog said:

Tim Horn is still very much in business, despite his website woes. Had a delivery from him within the past month. 

Ping him an email, I know he keeps the more popular boards in stock and his baseboards are top quality in both design and material and o together very easily. 

Thanks, I will keep him in mind for my next project. However, for this project, I have completely settled on the SMS layout in a box baseboard.

On 19/11/2019 at 07:07, Jerry1975 said:

Hi,

Sounds good to me, the area bottom left, you could have a crossing for access and possibly some sort of yard office or possibly a unloading / loading area with a crane or fork lift truck or just a wide crossing and a low relief building bottom left that would go flush with the backscene if you have one, just some ideas.

Jerry

Thank you for your input, I really like the idea of a yard office, with some access to the wider world. Also if there is some space after this some low relief industrial building, with a loading point on the shared access road.

• jbmccarthy changed the title to Langley Yard

So on Saturday, I went to the Warley exhibition, and it was great fun. I was also lucky enough to be able to pick up a baseboard from Scale Model Scenery, I'm really pleased with it, and was really please with their customer service. Last night I decided I couldn't wait and went ahead and build the baseboards, and get a general idea. Everything is easier to visualise when it's in front of you.

20191124_202829.jpg.fbf4ed09f79b564cf9a565ebb14ec3a8.jpg

I also got some trains out, along with some points to get an idea of what my layout plan would look like.

20191124_203737.jpg.8fd2a16fe255e7df77e2d9635b9e5935.jpg

20191124_203717.jpg.de9034c501fc46057b0fb796aad57321.jpg

I have given the sidings more room, hoping that this doesn't look too cramped and linear. However now seeing trains and track on the baseboard, I believe that I might have to make scenery changes, as I might have planned for more depth than I actually have. 

20191124_203751.jpg.c6fe1a989f51bd64d4beefb7d0433bb7.jpg

I'm still going to have a factory on this side of the layout for the two sidings to really serve. I also still like the idea of the siding at the rear, in this case with the 16T mineral wagons to disappear into the factory, even if only a little. While where the vans are, I will be having a loading platform. The space in the foreground of the two little sidings, my thinking is to have some sort of road entrance, which will allow lorries to load and serve the factory. However I'm not completely sure, but this space is nice to have, and not having it filled with more track I like.

20191124_203758.jpg.c207b50f6b9af8c7de60ba44abf43393.jpg

On the right-hand side of the layout, there is a small kickback siding for stabling an engine. Even if it's to get it out the way for a larger engine to come and collect the 5 wagons at the end of the game. This line will exit the yard where the furthest point is located under a small road bridge.

Managed to get some time this evening, and after a rummage in the garage, I found my soldering iron! So I have prepared the three points for the layout by wiring them up, three wires two at the foot of the point for power, while there is another for the frog. It took me a while checking I had the right colours the correct way round for the polarity, double and triple-checking. I spent this time being reminded how awful I am at soldering, and why I went into software and not electronics!

20191125_205320.jpg.8eb75d0b0f02b4ed8eb564d520a49586.jpg

Apart from the countless times, I burnt my fingers, there were some other victims tonight, and those were some of the sleepers at the bases of the points. I must have had the iron there for too long and ended up melting the sleepers. I'm hoping that I will be able to either fix them or make them less obvious once laid on the track. 

20191125_205410.jpg.a74611c064f919c55519c00a34d526b5.jpg