Cricket at Beer

Godfrey Glyn

• RMweb Gold

Peco have put up a photo of their new cricket themed products on FB. I was impressed with the diorama that they exhibited at Warley - picture attached below. The guys in the shop at Beer told me that the figures were the result of the firm being able to do 3-D scanning and the figures were recognisable local cricketers. The screens and cricket hut that Peco have released alongside the figures are laser cut items, I gather that they are also produced in Beer. It looks like Peco have invested in some new kit (!) and expertise which cannot be bad for the hobby. Gave up any interest in the game when I was about 8 but it does make a nice little addition to a layout. BTW the track and points are from their new BH range.

all the best

Godfrey

post-138-0-79963800-1516295560_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Looks like they're 'dipping a toe in the water' to make sure they at least keep more up to date with developments in the hobby.  Good luck to them.  

• RMweb Premium

I saw a packet of the figures in Digitrains earlier in the week.

No idea if they are any good, cricket is a scary game. One bloke charges at you and bungs a hard red thing at you and all you have is a plank of wood to defend yourself. When it is your teams turn to bung the ball, what does the other team's bloke do but uses his plank of wood to attack you with the red thing. This time you have nothing to defend yourself with and the rest of your team shout "Why didn't you catch it".

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Definition of cricket to foreigners:

'It's a game where one team is on the field and the opponents are in the pub!'

At school, the waiting batsmen played “crichok”; a sort of hockey played with cricket bats but without any rules, except Rule 1.

I'd rather have Beer and forget the cricket...

Oh, I don't know. Having sat in the warm sunshine watching a game and supping ale on more than one occasion, I'm in favour of both.

steve

• RMweb Premium

Peco have put up a photo of their new cricket themed products on FB. I was impressed with the diorama that they exhibited at Warley - picture attached below. 

I've always enjoyed playing cricket so a nice idea, but then no layout of mine has ever had enough "space" for a scale cricket pitch.

Edited by brushman47544

I might get the accessories to hint at the edge of a cricket pitch.

I’ve no idea how you play it, but it’s super British and there’s a lot of places to the current day where the railway is right beside

• RMweb Premium

So where's the beer (Beer?) tent?

An essential feature of the club cricket scene IMHO, where all the dismissed batsmen can congregate as the match progresses (recounted from personal experience of many early dismissals)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The picture earlier in the thread is rather better than the one in March RM which has the sightscreens inside the already short boundary.

For those that like Beer and Cricket, can I commend to them the cricket ground at  Mitcham. The pavilion is actually across a road from the pitch and right by a pub.

• Like 2

Nice idea,

There's one near our hotel in buenos aires runs through a park....

Is there a standard size for cricket pitch ?

There's one very close to the station/ sidings at princes risborough. Used to drive down on a Sunday when engineering was going on for " evergreen 1". Normally some interesting stuff in the sidings

post-450-0-38697700-1521139603_thumb.png

View of station footbridge from the cricket club

post-450-0-08425700-1521139642_thumb.png

That's the kinda idea I may Persue

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

(From a left-hander, who has a number of plastic ducks in his trophy cabinet)

Ahhh, a proper batsman!

(From another duck collecting left hander!)

Actually I thought the figures weren't bad at all.  The only things missing from the set are a scorer and group of out/not-out batsmen barracking their team mates at the crease!

Ralph

Lambton 58

Edited by Lambton58
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've always enjoyed playing cricket so a nice idea, but then no layout of mine has ever had enough "space" for a scale cricket pitch.

Nor has that one.  Even I could hit sixes on that ground!

Figures look very nice though.

Many years ago, one of our club members brought a set of 7mm scale cricketing figures in for us to see.  Very nice we said, but where on earth did he get them?  None of us knew of a source of such figures.  "From the cake shop" he said, "They're meant to be cake decorations"

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have played village cricket on grounds/fields not much bigger than the Peco diorama. It is missing the molehills and a largely uneven surface.

I reckon anyone who plays or played village cricket can think of grounds like that!  

Ralph

Lambton 58