Cricket at Beer

Godfrey Glyn

I'm looking at a cricket ground on my new layout- but I don't like frozen action as the effect is spoiled as soon as a train chuffs past (I prefer kettles).

Solution?  Most of the players standing around with the twelfth man on field carrying a tray of drinks, and two or three players furtling around in the hedge bottom at the edge of the field watched by one of the umpires and a couple of bemused cows from the far side of the hedge...

Les

• Like 3

If anyone is looking for a prototype of a cricket ground next to a railway line then there is one between Birkdale and Hillside on the Liverpool to Southport line.

Tiny ground, but County Championship cricket matches are occasionally played there. The boundary is the railway line fence. If you hit a six over it, you're not getting the ball back.  :no: 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Southport+%26+Birkdale+Sports+Club/@53.6282011,-3.0198008,119m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xb8e41f6d665a847c!8m2!3d53.6287688!4d-3.0224378

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If anyone is looking for a prototype of a cricket ground next to a railway line then there is one between Birkdale and Hillside on the Liverpool to Southport line.

There's also Copley Cricket Club, situated between two sides of the triangle just below Halifax on the Caldervale line:

post-32999-0-81899100-1524219127_thumb.jpg

And as modelled on Peter Langthorne's rather large N gauge layout 'Calderdale':

post-32999-0-99942000-1524219214_thumb.jpg

JRB

• Like 4

Back in the days when I was captain of Irthing Vale 2nd XI, one of our regular fixtures was at Seascale, where the cricket ground is within the old goods yard. The Cumbrian coast line ran past the boundary at the southern end of the ground.

One year, our visit coincided with a steam special from Carnforth to Sellafield. the locomotive being 4472, and it was being filmed from a helicopter. Returning south from Sellafield, the helicopter was ahead of the train, so we would pause to watch the train pass 'behind the bowlers' arm', However, with a southerly breeze, the steam from "Flying Scotsman" blew on to the ground so that for a couple of minutes we couldn't see a thing! Our scorer took great delight in noting in the scorebook that "Train Stopped Play"

• RMweb Gold

Back in the days when I was captain of Irthing Vale 2nd XI, one of our regular fixtures was at Seascale, where the cricket ground is within the old goods yard. The Cumbrian coast line ran past the boundary at the southern end of the ground.

One year, our visit coincided with a steam special from Carnforth to Sellafield. the locomotive being 4472, and it was being filmed from a helicopter. Returning south from Sellafield, the helicopter was ahead of the train, so we would pause to watch the train pass 'behind the bowlers' arm', However, with a southerly breeze, the steam from "Flying Scotsman" blew on to the ground so that for a couple of minutes we couldn't see a thing! Our scorer took great delight in noting in the scorebook that "Train Stopped Play"

Lancs v Hants at Aigburth, Liverpool, June (?) 1984. 1st day of 3. Gordon Greenidge stopped Paul Allott in his run up as he couldn't concentrate due to the disturbance behind the bowlers arm. Approx 15 mins were lost due to "Red Arrows stopped play".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...