Leamouth

ianmianmianm

Happy new year all. More work done on the DLR station today after a few days focusing on my other Micro no layout based on the Bermuda Railway. The canopy has to be removed for the layout box to close, so looking for some elegant solutions to how to hold it in place. Stairs and concrete viaduct are 3Dbprinted and fit my tomix track beautifully. Just need to make some infil to represent slab track, and we are done. 

IMG_20191231_203105.jpg

IMG_20191231_203050.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just tested the roadway. Sorry the video is blurred....

Having used the F1 speed Faller system in HO previously, I am impressed by the slightly more scale speed Tomix system.

I'm not planning to incorporate any stops in the module, but the provisions in the tomix system for gradual deceleration are good as well

https://www.facebook.com/ian.macfarlaine/videos/10157945207651613/

Video is in the FB Micro Layouts group page.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been quiet over the last few weeks as I have been trying to figure out how to progress from the first board into the second and then FY. This little layout has caused a lot of thought with the second board and how it deals with the return loop for the bus system.

However overriding all considerations is that it has to be transported by air in about 9 months time so my plans for a small metropolis have been curtailed - we were at a total of 7.5 feet of layout on 2 levels, with 4 scenic boards and this was just going to be a nightmare to try and transport. In addition, long term I would like to show this layout and to be honest, controlling 3 separate lines and the busway is not going to be easy. 

So... after a lot of grinding of teeth the low level underground station has been scrapped for now, and will be revisited when I am settled. This leaves me with 2 scenic boards and an FY which is more manageable. The underground trains built for the lower level will run as 3 car sets on the top level mixed in with the class 313 emus.

So after some inertia, we are off again. The busway has been extended and these new bus stands will allow me to park the lovely Oxford diecast Boris bus and the nice red bendybus I've ordered from Japan. The tomix bus wire has been configured so that it pulls out round the back of the Borismaster that is badly pulled in. 

Next jobs:

- To convert the mock-up view blocker building into a real model - I've ordered some of the el cheapo Outland models of ebay as they are a perfect fit, and will try and convert them into a Travelodge. 

- Spray the viaduct sections and fit the slab track all the way along (waiting to pick these up in London next month)

- Paint the arches.

- Do something with the pavement area at the new bus stands - I was initially thinking kiosks but am now more inclined toward some flowerbeds.

- Make up the double track to continue on board 2

- Borrow a proper drill and make some access holes at the back of the layout to cope with bus derailments under the viaduct, at the moment I am relying on lifting the removable track beds off.

- Finish the Class 313 emu and DLR units when vinyls arrive.

- Another train of D stock waiting to be done

- Apply transfers to the buses (home made)

- Get hold of the right tomix chassis and make some lorries using the N train lorry kits.

85211438_10158108271291613_3871049535643975680_n.jpg

85221094_10158108271376613_3427974881117995008_n.jpg

Edited by ianmianmianm
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't model the modem (by which I mean 'post-1948') scene, and rarely find myself interested by it, but looking through this thread has me amazed, and I have to keep reminding myself that it's N gauge and not something larger, so well executed is the detail!

Amazing work. :)

• Thanks 1

I managed to get the refurbished D stock unit done, here's one of the trailers. Also realised that if I put the tube / overground fiddle yard behind some buildings, I could have some more scenic stuff in front. Eventually when I get back to the UK I would like to turn this into a roundy roundy. I'm hoping that the DLR will be able to curve round the end of the IKEA on a fairly short radius. The FY sidings for the tube are actually inside the Ikea. 

91874025_10158251889221613_3889162679746560000_o.jpg

92953755_10158280443671613_246097386928078848_n.jpg

• Like 4