Possible US small (it started out very small but is turning into medium size) HO project

newbryford

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh dear, I seem to have bought one of these.....

post-408-0-45197500-1518289991_thumb.jpg

For anyone travelling to Fort Lauderdale/Miami, I can heartily recommend Ready to Roll Trains, less than 5 minutes detour from the I-95 Interstate.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 9

Oh dear, I seem to have bought one of these.....

attachicon.gif422.jpg

For anyone travelling to Fort Lauderdale/Miami, I can heartily recommend Ready to Roll Trains, less than 5 minutes detour from the I-95 Interstate.

Cheers,

Mick

A nice ex UP SD40-2 to go with it is what you need

• RMweb Premium

Only one? ;)

I did look at the possibility of buying a pink one...

post-408-0-16410200-1518301903_thumb.jpg

There are two in this colour scene - Ready to Roll Trains had one.

Mrs NB wouldn't have liked seeing it on the credit card bill....

I did however manage to include four wagons in the purchase.

(I'm desperately trying not to make this project loco heavy)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

Many moons ago when I was starting off in American modelling, i said those same words " not loco heavy" a couple of points to help you on your way.

1) give the wife your cards and tell her "only to use in emergences!!!!! :O

2) don't start looking at Alco's, there the ruin of mankind!!!  :nono:

Enjoy the darkside you have been warned!!! :stinker:

Ray

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

1) give the wife your cards and tell her "only to use in emergences!!!!! :O

Ray! Step away from the glue the fumes are particularly bad today ;)

There are four words in that sentence they are incapable of hearing, it's evidently a pitch thing, only 'use' is heard :)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

2) don't start looking at Alcos

Oh, how true that is. What I really want to model is pre-WWII, but those Alcos keep calling me.

I have four in brass (S1, S2, RS-11 x 2) plus two etched brass kits (RS-1) and a plastic rtr body (RS-3), and some old parts for an S4.

So that’s 8 more than I need, but about right for what I want...

Please don’t tell the missus!

• RMweb Premium

More perusing.

I want to try and get away from the typical US switching layout (with no disrespect to those that have built some excellent examples thereof) and do something different.

My potential idea is the interchange between the likes of a Class 1 or Regional (such as Florida East Coast) and a shortline, where the locos are swapped over for their onward journey. Although possibly including some localised switching.....)

I would also like to add a triangle for added interest after seeing some of the Georgia Central operations in Savannah, where a pair of locos came into one yard with both cab forward, they were uncoupled and one was quickly run round the triangle so they were now both cab outward, before disappearing into the distance.

2308 has actually stopped on the crossing to reverse points and direction.

post-408-0-22945100-1518655232_thumb.jpg

The above was taken from the attached map where West Gwinett St is in the lower portion of the map -I was parked in the triangular gateway.

A previous picture of the NW2 was taken where where W Gwinett St joins Telfair Rd. Now labelled Nexeo Solutions instead of Colonial Chemicals

The picture of 2310 earlier was taken a the convergence of the two line just right of centre.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Savannah,+GA,+USA/@32.0807728,-81.1370564,669m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88fb75fc78f20659:0x4e0c6751036020bc!8m2!3d32.0835407!4d-81.0998342

Problem with this, is that it effectively creates a T shaped layout and I'd like to have the exchange tracks as the long leg of the T and operable/viewable from both sides. One of the other primary requirements is that it will be built for exhibition purposes and T shaped layouts aren't exhibition plan friendly. There will be some thinking about this.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Mick, the T shape would provide a nice deep scene though if it's at the rear and would fit quite nicely in islands in the centre of a hall :)

Modelling a wye would certainly add interest and you can site an industry on the tail too for more action. On the last Freemo meet at Armitage we had a switch job that worked across a chord and 90° crossing which created more running in a similar way and it looked really good.

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Modelling a wye would certainly add interest and you can site an industry on the tail too for more action. On the last Freemo meet at Armitage we had a switch job that worked across a chord and 90° crossing which created more running in a similar way and it looked really good.

It also helps to distinguish the layout from being ‘just a GWR BLT done in US HO’ which is important.

• RMweb Premium

Mick, the T shape would provide a nice deep scene though if it's at the rear and would fit quite nicely in islands in the centre of a hall :)

I have a cunning plan to bend one of the tee ends and make a straight-ish fronted layout, whilst still retaining the wye and not making the whole thing too deep - probably about 8'

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

More perusing.

I want to try and get away from the typical US switching layout (with no disrespect to those that have built some excellent examples thereof) and do something different.

My potential idea is the interchange between the likes of a Class 1 or Regional (such as Florida East Coast) and a shortline, where the locos are swapped over for their onward journey. Although possibly including some localised switching.....)

An excellent idea, which offers an alternative to just spotting cars all day long, and can also act as good justification for a quicker turnover of rolling stock, and having more than one loco on the layout at once!!

Trackplan doesn't have to be complicated, either. My portable "Portway Center" layout is just a 3-spur Inglenook-type plan, and apart from a Team Track didn't have any on-board Industries. Interchanges on my loft layout take place around a siding and spur.

Edit: relevant photos already posted in this Thread.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1