Possible US small (it started out very small but is turning into medium size) HO project

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Like this one on the Seminole Gulf Coast dinner / Murder Mystery train at Fort Myers back in December 2015

attachicon.gifFortMyersFL2015 (24).jpg

attachicon.gifFortMyersFL2015 (18).jpg

And the train earlier in the day being prepared with a loco on the other end

attachicon.gifFortMyersFL2015 (15).JPG

Didn't that one feature in an episode of Mystery Diners?

• RMweb Gold

I may have to use a *cough* GP38.........

Cheers,

Mick

That 578 is a GP 10. I think it needs a donor GP 9 and a new nose and cab. One I would like to do to add to the three GP 9's already repainted / modified and an Alco Century that Atlas did in that livery a few years ago. Its the coaches that I have not been able to source.

But a GP 38 is fine.

Didn't that one feature in an episode of Mystery Diners?

Hadnt seen that.

The line did feature in a movie called Gone Fishing over 10  years ago.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That 578 is a GP 10. I think it needs a donor GP 9 and a new nose and cab.

And a Horst air filter. If ever there was a diesel locomotive carbuncle, that was it. As ugly as a Coffin feedwater-heater on a steam loco.

• RMweb Premium

And a Horst air filter. If ever there was a diesel locomotive carbuncle, that was it. As ugly as a Coffin feedwater-heater on a steam loco.

It's called "having character............."

:)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

That 578 is a GP 10. I think it needs a donor GP 9 and a new nose and cab. One I would like to do to add to the three GP 9's already repainted / modified and an Alco Century that Atlas did in that livery a few years ago. Its the coaches that I have not been able to source.

Wouldn't the Intermountain one be a better option? Certainly less work for a Paducah geep! :)

I must admit to not being attracted to roundy pointed nose stuff such as F units ...

I got into "roundy pointed nose stuff" (love that description!!) almost as soon as I was interested in trains. I think it was because having a single cab, they had a sense of 'direction' - a definite "Forwards" & "Backwards" like a steam loco, & totally unlike British mainline diesels, with a cab at each end, & so "directionless", if that makes any sense!!

Possibly because of that, I'm less interested in those versions of F-Units that are double-cabbed, such as that famous old Triang "Transcontinental" loco (a model of which I did own at one time) and some prototypical types in Australia.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

I got into "roundy pointed nose stuff" (love that description!!) almost as soon as I was interested in trains. I think it was because having a single cab, they had a sense of 'direction' - a definite "Forwards" & "Backwards" like a steam loco, & totally unlike British mainline diesels, with a cab at each end, & so "directionless", if that makes any sense!!

Possibly because of that, I'm less interested in those versions of F-Units that are double-cabbed, such as that famous old Triang "Trascontinental" loco (a model of which I did own at one time) and some prototypical types in Australia.

I only really like them with no cabs!

• RMweb Premium

More loco wanderings.

I have said above about acquiring another passenger loco to accompany my F59PHI and a F40PH is the favoured (or should I use favored in this thread?) choice.

There is a Euro based  dealer that is selling Walthers F40PHs with sound, delivered to the Uk for less than £130.....

Shall I or shan't I?

The reviews read OK about the chassis but the body needs some detailing such as handrails (not a problem to me)

Whilst on the subject, they also have Walthers sound fitted GP15s at less than £123 delivered. (Stop it - I have enough 4 axle road power now)

And to add to the froth.

Dash 8-40BWs (or B40-8W) at a crack over £160 (I know I'm breaking my GM/EMD habit, but I like the wide cab on a 4 axle loco....)

Maybe I can have it as the token "new" loco as the shortline considers changing from GM to GE power.... 

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Serminole Gulf have certainly mixed up their loco fleet allbeit over a number of years and I havent physically seen their Dash 8's. They didn't have them when I started modelling them in the mid 90's

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/551198441872538415/

Also note the two RDC railcars. They had their traction motors disconnected so that the prime mover could power air con, hence why they are loco hauled. I have two Proto 1000 RDC's with the motors removed. These will be in use this weekend at Ally Pally.

They even had an Alco for a while

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=seminole+gulf+alco+photo&client=firefox-b-ab&dcr=0&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=6hzoCcqjYZqoLM%253A%252CP7zVx5UmWJomxM%252C_&usg=__3lDsfeaRp-b9pMsnwFULcRYj2Dc%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjf0Pn3w4HaAhXKCcAKHdPyCl0Q9QEILTAB#imgrc=yF_8UhyDST9gsM:

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Serminole Gulf have certainly mixed up their loco fleet allbeit over a number of years and I havent physically seen their Dash 8's. They didn't have them when I started modelling them in the mid 90's

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/551198441872538415/

Also note the two RDC railcars. They had their traction motors disconnected so that the prime mover could power air con, hence why they are loco hauled. I have two Proto 1000 RDC's with the motors removed. These will be in use this weekend at Ally Pally.

They even had an Alco for a while

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=seminole+gulf+alco+photo&client=firefox-b-ab&dcr=0&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=6hzoCcqjYZqoLM%253A%252CP7zVx5UmWJomxM%252C_&usg=__3lDsfeaRp-b9pMsnwFULcRYj2Dc%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjf0Pn3w4HaAhXKCcAKHdPyCl0Q9QEILTAB#imgrc=yF_8UhyDST9gsM:

I quite like the Seminole Gulf colour scheme - it pooped up on my Florida shortline researching.

Fits in with my preferred blue base but still retains a hint of yellow........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I quite like the Seminole Gulf colour scheme - it pooped up on my Florida shortline researching.

Fits in with my preferred blue base but still retains a hint of yellow........

Cheers,

Mick

We came across their dinner train by chance when looking for the end of the line North of Naples (after the tracks into Naples station had been ripped up and the land sold). By chance we called at their Bonita Springs / Vanderbelt beach platform and their dinner train was being prepared for the evening trip to Fort Myers. The staff took us on a tour through the train. They no longer run the dinner train on this bit of track.

However the bug bit and that holiday started us off  modelling the dark side and the Seminole Gulf Railway.

Edited by roundhouse

For a shortline , an F40PH would probably be the most suitable - locos ex Amtrak and Commuter Rail (such as NJT) have found their way to such lines , whereas the newer F59PHIs are still in front line service , and indeed the Amtrak examples are due to go to METRA in Chicago for further use on passenger trains.

Off the top of my head , Grand Canyon Railway has ex Amtrak and NJT F40PHs, as does Saratoga & North Creek. The now defunct Maine Eastern did have a pair of F40PHs , thankfully these were quickly replaced by a pair of FL9s (Mick , fancy a Bulldog nose Bo-A-1-A electro diesel? ).

If you just want to use geeps and such like , many shortlines use a generator car to provide HEP , either a boxcar or a baggage car. Another alternative would be to use an FB unit , as done for example on the Ontario Northland - the good thing about the US is that in general there often is a prototype for everything.

• RMweb Premium

Mick

I know someone who is looking to sell one of these if you are interested.

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH26326

PM sent

For a shortline , an F40PH would probably be the most suitable - locos ex Amtrak and Commuter Rail (such as NJT) have found their way to such lines , whereas the newer F59PHIs are still in front line service , and indeed the Amtrak examples are due to go to METRA in Chicago for further use on passenger trains.

Off the top of my head , Grand Canyon Railway has ex Amtrak and NJT F40PHs, as does Saratoga & North Creek. The now defunct Maine Eastern did have a pair of F40PHs , thankfully these were quickly replaced by a pair of FL9s (Mick , fancy a Bulldog nose Bo-A-1-A electro diesel? ).

If you just want to use geeps and such like , many shortlines use a generator car to provide HEP , either a boxcar or a baggage car. Another alternative would be to use an FB unit , as done for example on the Ontario Northland - the good thing about the US is that in general there often is a prototype for everything.

I already have a F59PHI for the (non-shortline)  commuter set - so possibly a F40PH for a bit of variety on that (and I always like to have a spare loco "per train" for exhibitions) Personally the F40PHs look quite ugly, but the F40PHM-2 is presentable - not sure that anyone makes one RTR, or that METRA have moved any of theirs on yet. (I've found a M version on Shapeways)

My proposed dining train will be a GP (or Alco!)  with a FA as a remote cab/HEP, or as you say a baggage car that means more operational interest as the train has to be turned on the wye.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ha harrrr, your like all of us have,fell into the same trap, only a couple of loc.........!,you'll have more than Trainworld before long!

Ray

Trial run with a US purchase being delivered to my niece in WV.

If that goes well, I have 5 weeks to get some more delivered there, before daughter goes to visit and they both return with the goodies.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

The F40PHM-2s are only used on METRA - and other than unit #205 which CSX recently managed to destroy in a derailment whilst in transit to Progress Rail in Kentucky for refubishment , they're all still there on the BNSF and Rock Island lines.

There were 2 prototype locos (F69PHAC) which were tested on Amtrak that used the same body design , these were never put into service and are now dumped at a dealers yard (NRE).

The other alternative for secondhand commuter power would be an F59PH - built for GO Transit in Canada & Metrolink in California. Most of the GO examples have been moved on to other operators . There is a body kit available from Kaslo or Maple Leaf Trains.