Possible US small (it started out very small but is turning into medium size) HO project

newbryford

Don't know if you've seen this Mick, but from 11 mins 20 its an awesome Layout, that has up to 18 operators.

Just need a Basement now.

And a serious amount of cash... and time... and 17 mates to operate it to it's full potential... :scratchhead:

It's easy to see why a lot of American modellers don't 'get' small layouts like we have to 'make do' with in the UK, or think they'd be boring and lacking operating potential. 

• RMweb Gold

And a serious amount of cash... and time... and 17 mates to operate it to it's full potential... :scratchhead:

It's easy to see why a lot of American modellers don't 'get' small layouts like we have to 'make do' with in the UK, or think they'd be boring and lacking operating potential.

Agreed. We are two nations separated by a common language. The very word “operation” means different things to North American modellers than here in Britain, and indeed different again to most on mainland Europe.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I now have a Walthers F40PH in my possession - almost.

It's actually with my niece in WV and they will be heading this way in about 5 weeks.

In the meantime, the nice folks at Walthers - who had not informed me about the other F40PH ordered being unavailable, despite a confirmation order, have offered free postage on the second one to WV. It is due there Thursday.

I will then have three passenger locos - I may need another set of coaches.

When will the madness stop?

At least, it's still an ALCO free zone..............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Alcos, short passenger train, run-thru commuter coaches, repaint on leased dome car, international service, ride past large railroad shops, lakeside and distant mountain scenery, loco and road change at station en-route, passing freights with GPs, SDs, U-boats, etc, etc, what a modeller's choice :yes: :

DH_5020_1508.jpg

Rare RS-36 (D&H had 12 of only 40 units built) 5020 (Alco 84402 2/63) and RS-3 1508 with the Adirondack approaching Montreal West. 11/12/1974 James Gillin

• Like 5

More to the point, resistance is voltage divided by current.

I don't see why anyone would resist an Alco. They're wonderful characterful machines, and denying yourself an example is like not putting custard on apple crumble when it's available - you could have a perfectly satisfying dessert, but you've deliberately made it worse than it needs to be.

So there you go. Alcos are the custard of railroads.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 2

Alcos, short passenger train, run-thru commuter coaches, repaint on leased dome car, international service, ride past large railroad shops, lakeside and distant mountain scenery, loco and road change at station en-route, passing freights with GPs, SDs, U-boats, etc, etc, what a modeller's choice :yes: :

DH_5020_1508.jpg

Rare RS-36 (D&H had 12 of only 40 units built) 5020 (Alco 84402 2/63) and RS-3 1508 with the Adirondack approaching Montreal West. 11/12/1974 James Gillin

I think Jason is to the Delaware & Hudson what I am to the Soo Line. :mosking: ;)

Pity they were both bought up/taken over by CP Rail... :mad: :shout:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More to the point, resistance is voltage divided by current.

I don't see why anyone would resist an Alco. They're wonderful characterful machines, and denying yourself an example is like not putting custard on apple crumble when it's available - you could have a perfectly satisfying dessert, but you've deliberately made it worse than it needs to be.

So there you go. Alcos are the custard of railroads.

Isn’t that more a case of leaving things in a sub-standard state, i.e. not making it as good as it could be, rather than making it worse?

(A sin - and a grave one at that - of omission rather than commission?)

• RMweb Premium

DH_5020_1508.jpg

What’s happening in the garage then??

Feeling almost guilty here, nobody's mentioned other manufacturers for days!  Anyway, the Delaware-Lackawanna, as highlighted by Long Island Jack above, has a whole roster of Alcos including obscure Canadian stuff (M420s) and C630s with hi-ad 3-axle trucks.  Shame nobody their does O-scale decals yet, it's quite a challenging paint scheme - including two-colour body stripe and obscure graphic logos. :paint:
Ah well, when I've modelled all the D&H I can start on something even more modern.  What's that?  Modelling today's SMS I can fiddle around with Reading decals and a nearly OK Weaver Baldwin VO-1000?  Wow, North American railroads....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

CF7s have been mentioned.

This has gone for just shy of £90

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Athearn-HO-scale-CF7-Santa-Fe-DCC-ready/352324664008?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'm waiting for my (second) £73 CF7 including all shipping/customs from the US....  :sungum: It's currently somewhere in the UK.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

What’s happening in the garage then??

Well I haven't played the acoustic drums recently, so the bass drum has gone up into the roof in the garage and the L-shaped layout I acquired more years ago than I should admit could, er ... might, ummm ... ought to become O-shaped.  Having a running layout will help me test anything I resurrect - finished a Weaver RS3 today, in the post tomorrow.  Then there's that brass Central Loco Works GP38-2.  There we are - EMD - back on topic!

If you've got 2 Atlas F9s, you could make a B-unit and have some useful bits left over for a CF7, even use some of the cab for an early one.  If anyone has a go in O, let us know!

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

More loco wanderings.

(Stop it - I have enough 4 axle road power now)

I was desperately trying to avoid anything larger than 4 axles.

Resistance is futile.

post-408-0-58041100-1524068151_thumb.jpg

If my wanderings are correct, 8973 ended her days as a training loco at the CSX facility in Atlanta.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

that won't go round  Hornby 2nd radius, better rip the track plan up!!! :nono:  :stinker:

But this pretty little thing will....

post-408-0-57184000-1524620249_thumb.jpeg

In the meantime, I've sourced my dining/murder mystery train coaches for less than £10................

eBay can be a glorious thing sometimes.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7

CF7s have been mentioned.

This has gone for just shy of £90

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Athearn-HO-scale-CF7-Santa-Fe-DCC-ready/352324664008?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'm waiting for my (second) £73 CF7 including all shipping/customs from the US....  :sungum: It's currently somewhere in the UK.

Cheers,

Mick

Terrible thing this CF7 addiction...

post-6819-0-90996400-1524640794_thumb.jpg

• Like 6