Possible US small (it started out very small but is turning into medium size) HO project

newbryford

There should be a Wye on my layout instead of the loop, but even with Interurban curves it would make the layout nearly three times wider at that point.

Mick, if you're building something larger, can you change this thread's title...?

• Like 1

Having thought about it, I'd say it might be prudent to build the layout that you want to and are able to enjoy away from exhibitions as invites for US/Can layouts and the quantity of them at shows seems to be a bit thin at the moment for a number of reasons.

Exhibition managers seem to have one or two if you're lucky in the non-British section, so there might be a waiting list for layouts to attend. Secondly, modellers have faced the challenge of not building a recognisable location so one urban downtown switching district can look very much like another, especially when unaltered Walthers identikit structures are used. It's up to you to make a Portland layout look specifically like either Oregon or Maine, but not both. It is both a help and a hinderance that most punters don't know what they're looking at, but you wouldn't be allowed to do the same with a GWR Branch line.

It might look like a massive cliche, but I'm thinking of using the profile of the Seattle downtown skyline on a backdrop, as at least it'll be recognisable from the Fraser TV series....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Also consider making it adaptable to Freemo standards as that may give you the option of taking it to those events. I have altered Fort Myers so it can still be used as a stand alone layout. It will be out at Ally Pally this year then the Exeter Freemo meet. Whilst it’s not 100% compatible, any future layout will be built to Freemo standards but will also be a stand alone one

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's taking over.......

"Most" US layouts tend to have no passenger trains.

When I was in the US a couple of weeks ago, I rode the Brightline and Tri-rail services around Fort Lauderdale.

I've not been able to track down any of the Siemens built locos and coaches of Brightline yet - as the service only started last month, but I did find the three-set of Bombardier built Tri-Rail coaches in the correct livery - made by Athearn, but at extremely silly prices as they are now "rare". Suitable locos are also available

I have found an undecorated three-set and may make up my own decals for them for my own local passenger service. Something I could easily run as a separate line behind the freight tracks as an automatic shuttle.

As it's only three coaches plus loco - it's not too large to have an extra interest beyond the usual freight switching.

My niece is on a scholarship in West Virginia and daughter is going out to meet her for end of term and have a week's holiday before they both fly back to the UK. I guess I could get them delivered to WV to save on transatlantic shipping charges.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another tip is that if you ever get a taste for brass models, whenever a good RTR plastic model is released you will generally find nice brass pieces appear (often before models are released as sellers try to sell before the good RTR is available) at nice prices. I've picked up a couple of very nice F40PHs in recent months at lower prices than would have been typical before the Rapido model was released. I'm hoping we'll see some OMI New Haven EP-5's appear next year as the Rapido model gets closer.

When I was in the US a couple of weeks ago, I rode the Brightline and Tri-rail services around Fort Lauderdale.

I've not been able to track down any of the Siemens built locos and coaches of Brightline yet - as the service only started last month,

The Siemens coaches, if they come out, will be at least 2 or 3 years - any manufacturer will want to wait to see what changes Siemens makes for the California / Illinois / other state order.

Charger may come sooner.

But, big but, they may be ignored if the market is deemed too small, and further to that the tooling costs may mean the Brightline versions of coaches / Charger don't get done.

• RMweb Premium

If you have a contact willing to carry stuff over you can save a fortune. Not only shipping but the tax allowance is much higher and avoids the additional handling charge added to the 20% VAT.

I asked the question of an ebay seller if he would send within the US to a UK payment.

His reply was that he wouldn't as "ebay frowns upon thus practice".

My reply was that he's lost a potential bidder.

He's already replied again saying that he can do it - result!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Result! I’ve sometimes ordered and given the address of my hotel in the US when going on business trips and most shops and EBay sellers seem happy enough to co-operate. Alternatively, some friends at my old employers US office are happy (well, maybe accept would be more accurate…) to act as a mail box and meet up when I go over there for other reasons.

If you can avoid the shipping charge to the UK, the 20% VAT and the VAT handling charge (which for less expensive items can be as much or more than the actual VAT) it makes a huge difference to the cost of modelling overseas prototypes. To be honest I can handle the VAT (although I’d rather not pay it) but the VAT handling charges properly tick me off. I find that for some US items if ordering a single item it can be worth looking at UK stores as by the time you’ve paid the extras it can be just as cheap and quicker to buy from a UK shop. If you group items or can get them delivered to an address in the US then it can be massively cheaper to do it that way as long as you can wait for a convenient delivery opportunity (and assuming whoever carries it over is OK at donating their import allowance).

• Like 1

Looks like another interesting project, but sadly I can hear the Lesser spotted JAAM ringing in my ears, wish you luck!!

(JAAM Just another American model) I've got my gun with me at York this year ,see if I can shoot a few down!!!!

Ray

Something typically American for your layout, Ray:-

post-704-0-20502200-1519045273.jpg

:good: :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I really must give this project a name, but haven't yet studied maps and things.

I do have the genesis of a track plan/layout shape. It isn't small anymore - see the plans thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47081-track-plans-for-north-american-layouts/page-23&do=findComment&comment=3055987

It will utilise part of my storage yard for my Deadmans Lane layout

Comments here or there would be appreciated

As much as I like the Tri-Rail livery, I won't be buying this or this

I have also gone mad and purchased a set of 4 bi-level coaches for the passenger duty, complete with cab control car.

Likely motive power will be a F40PH and a fictitious livery will be applied to it and the coaches - I already have a UK inspired livery in mind. - and no, it's not mostly yellow. There seem to be some good deals on Walthers F40s form European dealers.

Double madness is the anticipated delivery of a FEC blue and pink GP40.

I really fancy a B23-7 or similar GE as shortline road power. 

I think there may have to be some thinning down of my over indulgent 00 fleet in the next few months...........

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

KCS is the class 1 the world seems to forget, they're not that small either.

I think part of it is a lot KCS's network is their subsidiary KCS de Mexico and many observers either don't count Mexico as part of the US rail network or forget it exists completely. Which is unfortunate since there is a lot of rail traffic across the southern border, including automotive and intermodal.  

Double madness is the anticipated delivery of a FEC blue and pink GP40.

I really fancy a B23-7 or similar GE as shortline road power. 

I think there may have to be some thinning down of my over indulgent 00 fleet in the next few months...........

Cheers,

Mick

Not madness at all, Mick ... although it's actually a GP40-2 

I had too many Class 66s so one one them was sacrifcied to buy this B23-7 from Gaugemaster. Sound fitted at a reasonable £199.00. You just missed out they still had one in stock a couple of weeks ago.

Your layout plans look great. Look forward to seeing your progress.

post-7898-0-01727400-1519468889_thumb.jpg

• Like 6