Pre-grouping in this months Railway Modeller

Bought the current RM yesterday for the journey home from Birmingham to Ludlow via Hereford (if only the line via Tenbury Wells was still open...) and was pleasantly surprised at so much pre-grouping content. There was a reprint and update of W.D.Stewart's article on Smellie's GSWR 4-4-0 (still no mention of his stint on the M&CR) and a really nice LBSCR layout based on the old but effective  'Deane fiddle yard' design and using mostly r-t-r track and stock with excellent scenics. It included a photo of the layout treated to look like an Edwardian sepia print in a very convincing manner. All this and the pre-group stock from Hornby - SECR coaches, NBR C class (yes, I know it's really a J36), etc. 

• Like 3

I was due to take a train to the smoke on Thursday.  This was my best opportunity to purchase a copy (I really will have to subscribe), but we were snowed in!

I do hope that I can eventually find a copy to buy! 

I think our magazines do well to feature diverse subjects, including pre-Grouping subjects, not least RM.

Long may this continue, because over recent months I have been looking at shows to visit and there are quite a number of the larger exhibitions that include only one, or, often, no, pre-Grouping layouts. 

Edited by Edwardian

Well, my stealthy assignation yesterday took me via Scotch Corner, which boasts a WH Smith's. 

I have merely glanced, but it is a good, well-proven plan that shows what can be done with the old 6' x 4' format, and it does make an attractive layout when presented in the Edwardian period. 

While I, too, immediately thought, 'but why not expand it around an operating well, thus increasing the run, easing the curves and getting side by side to the station'.  But, there is an advantage in viewing the depth of scene across the layout that would be lost if the tracks were expanded around a central well.  After all, not many 4mil layouts have the benefit of 4' wide baseboards, permitting such a depth of scene.  Also, when you think where the fiddle yard is, there is not much advantage to being able to stand on the other side of the station. 

I like the look of it and look forward to reading the article in full.

• Like 2

Well, my stealthy assignation yesterday took me via Scotch Corner, which boasts a WH Smith's. 

I have merely glanced, but it is a good, well-proven plan that shows what can be done with the old 6' x 4' format, and it does make an attractive layout when presented in the Edwardian period. 

While I, too, immediately thought, 'but why not expand it around an operating well, thus increasing the run, easing the curves and getting side by side to the station'.  But, there is an advantage in viewing the depth of scene across the layout that would be lost if the tracks were expanded around a central well.  After all, not many 4mil layouts have the benefit of 4' wide baseboards, permitting such a depth of scene.  Also, when you think where the fiddle yard is, there is not much advantage to being able to stand on the other side of the station. 

A friend popped over this morning for a chat, he is the type who likes to make things himself, showed him that article with the advice of buying a few copies of 1960's RM's just to see how modellers improvised when making models

• Like 3

Being familiar with the original Awdry plan, I can feel an idea formulating in my mind... 

Which to go for though:

Slindon (Line up from Barnham Jct)

Pagham Quay (Branch off from Bognor, nice Quayside scene possibilities.)

Horndean (LSW/LBSC Joint, from Bedhampton via Waterlooville)
Findon (Branch off from West Worthing, via my - Already Modelled - 'Salvington')

Dunsfold (Branch off LBSC Guildford - Horsham Branch)

Shere (SECR - Branch off North Downs Line)
Shamley Green (LBSC - Branch off Guildford - Horsham line)

Ashington

I quite like the Horndean idea at the moment, as it provides reasonable LSWR opportunities. Any other thoughts?

• Like 3

There are several 'Deane fiddle yard' designs in CJF's "60 plans for small railways" (currently 20p from Hereford Model Centre or your local swopmeet) and, interestingly, they tend to be the more prototypical of CJF's designs ('Minories' excepted). If your RMs go back that far, check out Maurice Deanes' classic Culm Valley layout in January or February 1952. 

Edited by CKPR

• RMweb Gold

There are several 'Deane fiddle yard' designs in CJF's "60 plans for small railways" (currently 20p from Hereford Model Centre or your local swopmeet) and, interestingly, they tend to be the more prototypical of CJF's designs ('Minories' excepted). If your RMs go back that far, check out Maurice Deans' classic Culm Valley layout in January or February 1952.

But ‘Minories’ was based on a prototype.
  • Agree 1

Well, I read the article this morning.

I find the layout quite captivating.

Yes, it has a solid grounding in the form of a clever plan, but I think the layout builder has done a really good job.

He has eased the set-track curves on the front half, and done a very good job to make the Peco track look more convincing, so the track looks quite natural.

His scenic planning, if I may call it that, is deft.  It is a very cleverly contrived scene and the less is more approach and the chosen composition very much adds to naturalness.  Whereas Awdry relied on an on-stage tunnel, necessitating something of a quarry to be dug to accommodate the station, the use of a backscene and a scenic break disguised by a bridge results in a far more open and natural appearance. I disagree with the builder's reservations about not placing the underbridge against the backscene.  At least from the angle pictured in the magazine, I think the placing of the bridge works perfectly, suggesting as it does, the continuance of the line beyond it.  

Then there is the execution of the scenery.  This again is subtle and natural.  I love the way the roads look.  He has tackled building kits very well, and his scratch-built pub is a joy.  I only hope that Castle Aching achieves such a good effect.

Clearly the RTR locomotives represent a compromise. but the E4 is a splendid model, and he has toned down the E2 and made it look very presentable.  As Gary has done, he has made good use of a Ratio Midland suburban. 

I'd say that this is a successful model railway on every level.  Well done to the layout builder and well done to RM for featuring it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Exactly !

Confused: I read your comment as implying that ‘Minories’ was an exception to prototypicality, but suspect you meant that aside from Minories - which are ipso facto prototypical - the “Deane” style layouts were generally closer to prototype.

Is that correct?

• Like 1

Confused: I read your comment as implying that ‘Minories’ was an exception to prototypicality, but suspect you meant that aside from Minories - which are ipso facto prototypical - the “Deane” style layouts were generally closer to prototype.

Is that correct?

Yes, you're right as I meant to infer that 'Minories' is the other exception to the general lack of prototypicality in CJF's track plans. That and the recurring 'Tregunna'  design, which is pretty obviously St. Ives.  

Edited by CKPR

Being familiar with the original Awdry plan, I can feel an idea formulating in my mind... 

Which to go for though:

Slindon (Line up from Barnham Jct)

Pagham Quay (Branch off from Bognor, nice Quayside scene possibilities.)

Horndean (LSW/LBSC Joint, from Bedhampton via Waterlooville)

Findon (Branch off from West Worthing, via my - Already Modelled - 'Salvington')

Dunsfold (Branch off LBSC Guildford - Horsham Branch)

Shere (SECR - Branch off North Downs Line)

Shamley Green (LBSC - Branch off Guildford - Horsham line)

Ashington

I quite like the Horndean idea at the moment, as it provides reasonable LSWR opportunities. Any other thoughts?

I did come up with a line between the Brighton to London line near Hassocks, through Hurstpierpoint, and on to the Shoreham to Christ's Hospital line.

There is/ was a farm near the proposed junction on the Brighton Line, to give the junction a name (I cannot remember the farm name just now!),

The funny thing is, there is/ was another farm near the proposed junction with the Shoreham (Adur Valley) line, which had the same name!  So it was meant to be? ;)

Possibly another LB&SCR territory protecting line, like the almost built (Not never built! ;) ) Ouse valley line? (Almost built, as some earthworks and bridges were completed!)

Hurstpierpoint is a largeish settlement, and didn't have its own Station....the nearest station on the Brighton line being Hassocks Gate... (Now just Hassocks...)

Henfield was the nearest ststion on the Shoreham (Adur Valley) line...now closed and lifted...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hurstpierpoint,+Hassocks/@50.9304004,-0.232147,13.96z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x48758d8dc9ab417f:0x2f7d0c921fedd862!8m2!3d50.9344164!4d-0.1799011

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

Hmmm...

I prefer a BLT to a TS in this case (Bacon Lettuce & Tomato is preferable to Tomato Sandwich Branch Line Teminus is preferable to Through Station), though generally it's the other way round. Also, I love this particular plan!

• Like 1

No one said that the Hurstpierpoint branch was actually completed as a through route! ;)

So, it could be a branch from the Brighton line....or the other way!

There coupd even be "work in progress" on the extension?

In fact, the layout in the Modeller does look like a through station....no buffer stop even... ;)

And BRM March are following a similar theme with Buckingham, Kendal Branch and Tucking Mill.

Maybe at last the mainstream are beginning to recognise the demand for earlier inspirations than BR transition.

And like to thinks so.

But, goodness, I may just have to buy a copy of BRM.