Pre-grouping in this months Railway Modeller

The Railway Modeller for some years has covered the Pre Grouping era, as well as Post Grouping and Modern eras 

For example January's had the LT&SR Tilbury tanks, I gave up on the MRJ's years ago, excellent modelling but not much of interest to me. I have found the Railway Modeller is packed full of articles, which range from the extremely basic to highly detailed, Modern image to early railways, T gauge to 5".

I must admit I don't bother reading half of the articles, but that still leaves plenty to read. Then there is the shows you how  section, news and new releases pages. I find the adverts at the back also useful. In short a general interests mag that I enjoy reading

• RMweb Premium

Well I have just managed to see the article about Handcross. I never imagined that a 6' by 4' layout could look so convincing. That is really nice bit of modelling. 

The way there are only some small locos and short carriages really keeps it all in proportion. 

Truly lovely and I will have to try and get some of my own modelling re-started now I have seen that as lack of space really isn't an excuse I can keep saying to myself!

The other thing I looked at was how easy it would be to change it to a SECR or LSWR or L&Y or MR scene. A change of station building, signal box and stock and your are away. Lovely.

Cheers

Ian in Blackpool

My cunning plan (As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed professor of cunning at Oxford University...), Mr B is, when I essentially use the same trackplan as a basis for my pre-grouping layout is to have it as LBSCR ostensibly, but with removable structures, and either LSWR or SECR trains carrying on through the split backscene. The idea being that the LBSCR built the line, and its terminus, but since then the LSWR/SECR (Depending on how the mood takes me: never both!) have constructed a new line which links to the original LBSC line just outside the station, and have running powers over the LBSC section. Sort of inspired by MIdhurst LSWR Station and its through-link to the LBSCR.

• Like 1

The builder of the LBSC layout is on here but rarely visits.  He has helped me enormously with valuable research into the buildings and bridges on my layout for which I am extremely grateful

Well, I hope he is gratified by some of the things said on RMWeb, here and in the RM topic. His is turning out to be quite an important layout - showing the longevity of a good plan, the benefits of the overlooked 6'x4' format and the ability to represent the pre-Grouping scene using RTR and plastic kit-built equipment.

Well I have just managed to see the article about Handcross. I never imagined that a 6' by 4' layout could look so convincing. That is really nice bit of modelling. 

The way there are only some small locos and short carriages really keeps it all in proportion. 

Truly lovely and I will have to try and get some of my own modelling re-started now I have seen that as lack of space really isn't an excuse I can keep saying to myself!

The other thing I looked at was how easy it would be to change it to a SECR or LSWR or L&Y or MR scene. A change of station building, signal box and stock and your are away. Lovely.

Cheers

Ian in Blackpool

I agree!

Thanks to these discussions about this layout, I bought my first RM for a good long time and it is easily the best issue I've laid eyes on for a couple of years or more. I'm even having evil thoughts of my own!

John.

• Like 4

Being familiar with the original Awdry plan, I can feel an idea formulating in my mind... 

Which to go for though:

Slindon (Line up from Barnham Jct)

Pagham Quay (Branch off from Bognor, nice Quayside scene possibilities.)

Horndean (LSW/LBSC Joint, from Bedhampton via Waterlooville)

Findon (Branch off from West Worthing, via my - Already Modelled - 'Salvington')

Dunsfold (Branch off LBSC Guildford - Horsham Branch)

Shere (SECR - Branch off North Downs Line)

Shamley Green (LBSC - Branch off Guildford - Horsham line)

Ashington

I quite like the Horndean idea at the moment, as it provides reasonable LSWR opportunities. Any other thoughts?

"I quite like the Horndean idea at the moment, as it provides reasonable LSWR opportunities. Any other thoughts?"

In the early 1880s the LSWR sought to build the "Windsor, Aldershot & Portsmouth Railway" railway, partially along the route of what would become the Meon Valley line but veering east at the southern end. The proposed line would run from Farnham, westward to East Tisted, then down the Meon Valley to West Meon, where it would turn east over the South Downs through Hambledon before reaching the lines into Portsmouth at Cosham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meon_Valley_Railway). A bit of historical revisionism and this line could pass through Horndean.

I understand that the proposed GWR line from Basingstoke to Portsmouth that the Meon Valley line was built as a blocking line for would also have gone through this area before joining the LBSCR line to Portsmouth at Bedhampton.

Edited by andrewwaite1

Oooh...

Interesting. In that case I can justify LSWR or GWR trains on the through line. Horndean would then be the terminus for LBSCR trains.

There are a few details of the GWR's 1895 proposed "Portsmouth, Basingstoke and Godalming Railway" here : https://books.google.com/books?id=uusoL4jT2C0C&pg=PA671&dq=portsmouth+basingstoke+godalming+railway&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwju1KSWs5HZAhUiwFkKHcB7DGcQ6AEIODAD#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by andrewwaite1

A Google search also finds an 1865 proposal by the LSWR to build a "Havant, Hambledon and Droxford Railway" which would include extending the Bishops Waltham branch to Petersfield.

Pity I cannot find maps online to go with these Parliamentary reports.

https://books.google.com/books?id=aLQDAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA110&dq=havant+hambledon+droxford+railway&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwgoT5_ZHZAhUHrVkKHdZWCWIQ6AEIUjAI#v=onepage&q=havant%20hambledon%20droxford%20railway&f=false

Edited by andrewwaite1

• RMweb Premium

Pity there are no maps to go with these Parliamentary reports.

If a company got as far as presenting a Bill to Parliament, there would be deposited plans. When my father researched the building of the Sutton Coldfield branch, back in the 1980s, the documents (or contemporary copies) were held by the county record office - Warwickshire in this case.

• Like 1

Here is the 4mm OO Gauge Pre-Grouping Ready To Run News Update from the Bachmann and Hornby 2018 Catalogues.

Pre-Grouping Livery Models (ERA 2) from the 2018 Bachmann & Hornby Catalogues.

Bachmann Locomotives.

North Eastern Railway Class E1 (LNER J72) 0-6-0 Tank Loco. N.E.R. Lined Green. 2173. 31-063 (New Tooling)

Midland Railway Class 1532 0-4-4 Tank Loco (1P) . M.R. Crimson. 1273. 31-740

London & North Western Railway Webb “Coal Tank”. L.N.W.R. Black. 1054 (As Preserved). 35-050

Midland Railway Class 4F 0-6-0 Tender Loco M.R. Black. 3848. 31-883

Great Central Railway Class D11 4-4-0 Tender Loco. G.C.R. Lined Green. 501 “Mons”. 31-147

Great Central Railway Class D11 4-4-0 Tender Loco. G.C.R. Lined Green. 502 “Zeebrugge”. 31-147DS (DCC Sound Fitted.)

London, Brighton & South Coast Railway Class H1 4-4-2 (Atlantic) Tender Loco. L.B.S.C. Lined Umber. 39 “La France” (French Presidential visit 1913). 31-910

Great Northern Railway Class C1 4-4-2 (Atlantic) Tender Loco. G.N.R.  Lined Green. 272. 31-761

WD ROD 2-8-0 Tender Loco (Westinghouse Pump) (GCR type). R.O.D. Black. 1918. 35-175

WD ROD 2-8-0 Tender Loco (GCR type). L.&.N.W.R. Black. 2934. 35-176

Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway Class 7F 2-8-0 Tender Loco S&DR Black Livery No. 89. 31-014

Bachmann Coaches

South Eastern & Chatham Railway “Birdcage” coaches. SECR Dark Lake Livery.

Brake Composite (2nd & 3rd Class) 39-600

Composite (1st  & 2nd Class) 39-610

Brake 3rd Class) 39-620

Bachmann Wagons

Midland Railway Goods Brake Van. (Without Duckets) M.R. Grey. M.623. 38-554

WD WAR OFFICE "Parrot" (Later "Warflat") bogie 40 Ton flat wagon...with Sheeted "Tank" Load. 38-740

Hornby Locomotives

North British Railway Class C (LNER J36) 0-6-0 Tender Loco. N.B.R. Lined Black. 673 “Maude”. (As Preserved). R3600TTS (DCC Sound Fitted)

Peckett Class W4 0-4-0 Saddle Tank Locos. Peckett Green livery

United Alkali Co, 560 with Peckett lettering on footplate edge.R3615

Willans & Robinson 882 “Nicklausse”.R3640

Hornby Coaches

NONE

Hornby Wagons

3-Plank.

S.E.C.R. Dark grey Livery. R.6858

GWR Red/Brown (Rather Early) Livery R.6806 (Hornby has this as Era 3…)

5-Plank

Lilleshall Limestone Red/Brown PO Livery. R6866

7-Plank

Hale Fuels Birmingham PO Livery. R6874

Hawkins & Sons PO Livery. R6857

George & Mathews PO Livery. R6876

Edited by Sarahagain