The Railways of Portland Dorset

Having just read through this thread can I wish you every success with the project. The idea of the loco to stimulate memories is a good one. I have done a lot of research for my two layouts and found that a physical object along with photos can really get people talking. I exhibited my current layout in it's home town to gather information. I spent a lot of time at the front of the layout talking to punters. Most of the time the initial response was that they couldn't remember anything but then they would volunteer a piece of info such as "I used to go down to the coal merchants for my man to pay the bill". That would lead to the cardboard mock ups of the said offices and then an aerial photo. I eventually got most of the info that I need to model the various offices in the correct materials, eg stone. timber or tar paper. However without the memory prompts of the part built models I doubt whether the info would have been harvested.

I wish you luck with the project and may well visit the area in June.

Jamie

Thanks for your interest. As I've got more into this project I have started to consider its modelling possibilities, the station site was very compact and I think it can fit in a space 6 X 2 with next to no compression. The station was obliterated apart from a bridge I cross regularly but the Brian Jackson histories of the line contain some plans of the station buildings. Many of the surrounding buildings still exist.

At the moment I'm attempting to get to grips with Templot so I can print out a track plan to fix to some board to take out as a discussion point. These could be written on by anyone with memories and actually form part of an arts output of the project as well as informing a potential model. I don't have any funding for this part, it would simply be for my own pleasure. I now model in EM so it will be quite a challenge

Thank you for your interest.

Martyn

• Like 2

post-3088-0-35585900-1521902978_thumb.jpg

Martyn, you mentioned the possibility of building a model of Easton; the above as you will recognize is of the old station building and shows its general character and of the station itself.

My station building at HRX is based on it and that I built before Jackson's book was published with plans. It is, or was, a very attractive station and approached from Victoria Square (?) by a curving tree lined approach.

Below is a map, courtesy of the OSS, showing it's compact nature. The engine shed was added about 1905.

post-3088-0-02070800-1521903007_thumb.jpg

For anyone wanting a small BLT this would be ideal.I hope too you could get the basics into 6' x 2'.

There are other photos; some in my March 2018, Back Track article "The Isle of Portland-its stone and five railways," and others available through Lens of Sutton, as now is.

Edited by john flann
  • Like 5

The drawing of the station is superb John. Some of the buildings in the background are still there though as we know sadly not the station. I am hoping the residential care home  now on the site will yield some material for the project.

Thinking about a possible model, to model it in 00 gauge might make it a bit large for some of the venues where it might be shown, N gauge too small, 3mm possibly ideal (not TT as it will be built to the correct gauge). I've always fancied building something in 3mm and did join the society though I have had to let my membership lapse due to lack of time.

There are kits for most of the key stock for the line available in 3mm and I will probably start with some of the buildings.

Congratulations on the Backtrack article John.

• Like 1

Brian Jackson's books contain clean track diagrams, building blueprints looking from three angles (great for scratch building), and ofcourse a bunch of images you won't find on the internet. 

I have them all and met him on Thursday 

• Like 1

Brian Jackson gave a talk as part of a fund raiser for the Portland Museum. The topic was all about how paddle steamers were used on routes out of Weymouth and Portland, also there local use with particular reference to the company Cosens who had a yard in Weymouth.

A briliiant talk, I had no idea they were so extensively used, were in some cases armed during the wars and continued in service long after I would have thought they  were obsolete. It would appear that there were things they were good at and despite the age of some of them by the 50s they continued to be used, even being refurbished after wartime service.

There were obviously some railway links as well but mainly about the effect of the railway on the frequency and profitability of services from Weymouth.

I had a very good chat with Brian whilst at the event and will be sending him some details of our work.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have an interest in such things I have created a Pinterest feed  where I have been placing some photos of Easton station. It all started out of curiosity to see if any better photos were available of the goods shed in Easton station, it would appear not. I have also been searching the National Archives, Dorset History Centre and National Railway Museum Archives this morning for anything interesting. The National Archives is good as it searches across multiple venues, I have to say I find the NRM a bit frustrating. Does anyone have any tips, I'm used to searching archives, typing words into advanced searches etc but this doesn't seem to find much, perhaps the NRM doesn't hold any information though I find that hard to believe.

This is not a technical history project so I am searching for things that can stimulate memories including plans and photographs. Just before he died John Flann had sent me some photos he had used for his recent Backtrack article. John was a regular contributor to this thread and my discussions with him were a reason for starting this project, he will be missed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been some time since I posted anything on here but things are proceeding. i'm now trained as an oral historian thanks to Dorset History Centre and have my first recording sessions booked for half term. I'm also putting together a display to take out into the community hence the following question:

The late John Flann who was largely the inspiration for this project donated some photos for the project from Lens of Sutton, some were used in his recent Backtrack article. Does anyone know who now own the collection of photos as I know it was sold but the links I've found are out of date, are they still available?

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise from the echo today. It would have been nice to know about this as I own these items but in a much better condition.

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/features/lookingback/16254987.Train_s_final_journey__Looking_back_to_the_pivotal_moment_of_March_27_1965/

I'm meeting with the driver of said train on Friday to record an interview, one of four interviews I'm doing this week with various individuals and groups.

• Like 1

Is that Dennis Turner?

Really glad you're getting interviews, I've always thought about it but never had the resources. Good luck with it and hope the end result is fantastic.

An excellent interview recorded with Denis and his brother yesterday. some great insights into the workings of the line in its final years and some valuable local history too.

Great article about Denis and his time on the railway here:

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page37.htm

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Reading the Jackson books on the history of the line and looking at photos around the 1950 period I know about the articulated sets brought in from the Isle of Sheppey branch for the final 14 months of services but the period before that used ex GWR stock. Page 151 of Isle of Portland Railways volume 2 shows two trains, one in 1949, another in 1951, hauled by ex LSWR 02 tanks hauling trains across the causeway but the stock is ex GWR. There is no reference to the type of stock, only that 'assorted' stock was used. It appears to be non corridor stock and both trains are three carriage with a brake at each end though brakes may be different. I don't think I can post the photos for copyright reasons. 

Does anyone know what type of stock would have been based (I assume ) at Weymouth and likely to work  the branch at this time and are models available either rtr or in kit form? Or, how can I find out?

Thank you for any advice given.

Martyn

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

For those who have an interest in such things I have created a Pinterest feed  where I have been placing some photos of Easton station. It all started out of curiosity to see if any better photos were available of the goods shed in Easton station, it would appear not. I have also been searching the National Archives, Dorset History Centre and National Railway Museum Archives this morning for anything interesting. The National Archives is good as it searches across multiple venues, I have to say I find the NRM a bit frustrating. Does anyone have any tips, I'm used to searching archives, typing words into advanced searches etc but this doesn't seem to find much, perhaps the NRM doesn't hold any information though I find that hard to believe.

This is not a technical history project so I am searching for things that can stimulate memories including plans and photographs. Just before he died John Flann had sent me some photos he had used for his recent Backtrack article. John was a regular contributor to this thread and my discussions with him were a reason for starting this project, he will be missed.

The links from the Pinterest feed are worth looking at as, for just one example, there is a rare photo of the outside of Easton Station. Most published photos are of the platform side.

The project is alive and well, also nearing it's close. I'm aware there hasn't been an update for far too long. I'm currently creating a display for the Portland Museum, the interviews are being transcribed, agreement has been reached to retain some funding beyond the end of the project for any further sources and I have been asked to give a talk on the project to the local Rotary, need to write articles for various organisations linked to the project It has been a thoroughly absorbing year.

In addition, I have been developing proposals for future projects, some rail related and I have the funding to start a community music school!

I'm afraid work and real life got in the way of pretty much everything during the second half of the year.

A proper update soon.

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Brilliant to hear. It turns out that my mum volunteers at the museum and mentioned about the expansion/change up in the railway section, and that's what sparked me here to see if it was related to further progress with this project.

Can't wait!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A first draft has been completed today of the film to form part of the Museum presentation. It features footage of the final special trains overlaid with sound bites from the various recordings I have made. Hopefully will be able to post on here soon once it has been checked by interested parties.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I am now in the final stages of the project and will be going to the Portland Museum  this week to organise a small display. The short movie will be looped on a touch screen TV with headphones and there will be photos combined with Museum artefacts. 

In addition I have created some simple models using renumbered rtr equipment, these are not Museum standard models as I don't have the skills, time or budget but hopefully they will add to the display. Plinths are stained soft wood with new style Peco track sprayed and ballasted.

41234 was the loco at the Portland end of the 1965 final specials and fired by Denis Turner. A Bachmann model picked up cheap on Ebay

IMG_20190310_171357858.jpg.711325a16e499dac42675f3b0e6df525.jpg

30177 pulled the last scheduled passenger service having been on the line since the 1920s. A Kernow model.

IMG_20190310_171438423.jpg.497167876d0c43895e36460dc39bd69a.jpg

7780 was photographed on the causeway around 1955and on an engineering train in the early 60s. This is the Bachmann model, and has no motor.

IMG_20190310_171523147.jpg.43168ae3f11c793da14a8d025ab4b13d.jpg

The display has to be ready by the end of the month.

• Like 2

On 10/03/2019 at 18:57, mullie said:

I am now in the final stages of the project and will be going to the Portland Museum  this week to organise a small display. The short movie will be looped on a touch screen TV with headphones and there will be photos combined with Museum artefacts. 

In addition I have created some simple models using renumbered rtr equipment, these are not Museum standard models as I don't have the skills, time or budget but hopefully they will add to the display. Plinths are stained soft wood with new style Peco track sprayed and ballasted.

41234 was the loco at the Portland end of the 1965 final specials and fired by Denis Turner. A Bachmann model picked up cheap on Ebay

IMG_20190310_171357858.jpg.711325a16e499dac42675f3b0e6df525.jpg

30177 pulled the last scheduled passenger service having been on the line since the 1920s. A Kernow model.

IMG_20190310_171438423.jpg.497167876d0c43895e36460dc39bd69a.jpg

7780 was photographed on the causeway around 1955and on an engineering train in the early 60s. This is the Bachmann model, and has no motor.

IMG_20190310_171523147.jpg.43168ae3f11c793da14a8d025ab4b13d.jpg

The display has to be ready by the end of the month.

The models, along with photographs acquired during the project were taken to the museum tonight. The models looked really good in the intended display case, all have been renumbered, just don't look at the shed plates!

The film worked well on the TV supplied by the museum, both looked and sounded good. I will post some photos of the display soon as the museum has some interesting artefacts.

• Like 3

Great stuff. Not up to museum standards? Its a Kernow model! This is what the museum needs. 

I have been asked to come to the museum and help move an old prison cell door (you need to see it to believe it) so will be down there shortly).

• Like 2

Museum display now more or less finished.  The locos look good in the display cabinet and have suitable captions. The cabinet was difficult to photograph because of the large windows nearby. There are some great artefacts in there including an original station masters cap, tickets, lamps and photographs of staff.

IMG_20190324_105823686.jpg.a1746c0ee47089764aae3976a73c96b6.jpg

IMG_20190324_105856453.jpg.0c87f5a261695a6a7063cfef7d78ec09.jpg

IMG_20190324_105905405.jpg.7ebe3b77daf8ac6e8d57bb42de9a849b.jpg

A film will be shown on the TV once it has been put on the wall. It features the final specials in 1965 and I have overlaid edited sound bites collected during the project. The headphones are so the sound track can be listened to without disturbing the rest of the museum. Once the museum is open in April I will post a link to the film on here.

IMG_20190324_111438321_HDR.jpg.fecd1e751aaba8bddfd9e63cabf0cdbe.jpg

A photo album has also been created that will sit on the desk, the example photo was taken in 1962 a few years before the line finally closed. More photos are to be added to the album. The photos and captions make links to the project.

IMG_20190324_111517135.jpg.ce3de9b1fc1a498981830a46b9f21a4e.jpg

The project is now drawing to a close. The evaluation report will be written and submitted to Lottery HQ over the next week and once accepted the project will be completed. The Portland Museum has a very interesting collection of items and is well worth a visit, even the building it is housed in has an interesting history.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The new Museum display relating to the project is now open to the public. This video has been password protected until now. The film, from the Windrush collection has been edited with soundbites form the project overlaid on top as for the most part the film is silent. Hope it is of interest.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1