The Pre-Grouping Modelling Showcase.

Did you have a drawing for the locker wagon or did you have to work off the photo in the Midland Railway wagon book vol 1?

Marc

Hi Marc,

to be honest I never even looked for a drawing. the photo was quite clear in terms of the rivets etc. on the end/solebar so I just copied what I saw. I have been subsequently advised that they would have all been converted back to opens after the war but I was just taken by it being something completely different so mine will be forever in WD livery on the LNER. - Rule One as they say.

• Like 2

LNWR again.... A corridor push & pull set with a Diagram M76 in the foreground and an M52 driving trailer.  The leading coach is only 8' 6" wide compared with the 9' wide M52, and it shows. Painted in LMS maroon as running in early BR days....

post-6680-0-90998400-1516749635_thumb.jpg

LNWR D176 non-corridor composite in BR carmine red....

post-6680-0-27868900-1516749639_thumb.jpg

LNWR D333 non-corridor brake third as first repainted by the LMS in full panelled livery....

post-6680-0-81523500-1516749637_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

One of my projects planned for this year is a Great Central cattle train.  So far I have built one GCR large cattle wagon, bashed from the old Dapol cattle wagon kit with recourse to a drawing in vol.1 of Peter Tatlow's LNER wagons series and a lot of plastic strip and rod.  

38932521671_017d2cd644_h.jpg

• Like 7

It is with great temerity that I post a photo of a model of a LNWR carriage in the same thread as Coachman - but at least I can plead that mine is in an attempt at pre-grouping livery. Cropped from a photo I've posted before, a D216 brake composite and a D268 third, from Ratio kits:

attachicon.gifLNW carriages.JPG

You have made a tidy job of those coaches and LNWR coach livery is not one of the easiest or speediest to execute.  

• Like 1

More Midland Railway.... This coach was built as an ambulance coach for the first World War using components that would ordinarily have built a clerestory corridor first. It was cleverly built as a 9ft wide brake coach with the minimum of frame alteration and given an elliptical roof. Even the bogies were the lightweight 8ft wheelbase type.  The Midland bought these coaches back from government and commenced making them suitable for passenger use around 1921. Apart from the LMS insignia, it is in MR condition....

post-6680-0-74088300-1516876465_thumb.jpg

When coach building re-commenced after the war, the MR reverted to panelled ends and rod & queenpost underframe trussing, however the bogies were a new design of heavy 8ft wheelbase.  This is a 56' 6" corridor third in Midland livery....

post-6680-0-68158900-1516876463_thumb.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 25/01/2018 at 15:38, Guy Rixon said:

The Moresby hopper is a particularly fine-looking wagon. When did the LNWR get the steel hopper?

Thank you - the Moresby hopper is part of a rake of four, all of which are lettered on the other side for the C&WJR  as they used the same design, and are built to plans in an early edition of MRJ. The LNWR hopper, which forms part of a rake of five, was built nearly 30 years ago to  a Ross Pochin drawing in Beale's "Modelling the old-time railways" and I didn't know much about the history of the prototype when I made them. Since then, there was a series of articles in the CRA's "Cumbrian Railways" on the LNWR's West Cumberland wagon fleet that did furnish more details and I'll see if I can find the copies in question. I have  subsequently made most of the other LNWR wagons from those articles but they are easily the dullest  and least interesting wagons ever built ! 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

How about some locos for a change (I do still have more rolling stock if I am not boring anyone)

Shropshire and Montgomeryshire Railway No2 'Severn'

12349423554_468fb63fec_b.jpg

That is a lovely piece of work.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Final flowering of the Midland Railway introduced matchboard ends, a length of 57ft, angle trussed underframe and a new 9ft wheelbase bogie. The D1251 corridor composite in MR livery. Of note is the Midland shaded insignia without a black background...

post-6680-0-64371000-1516965696_thumb.jpg

There was also a corridor third and a brake composite, as shown here. Batteryboxes were still supported from the floor....

post-6680-0-71521200-1516965701_thumb.jpg

The corridor brake third and corridor brake first broke new ground in having deeper trussing that would also act as a support for battery boxes. Door and grab handles remained recessed to the end. The final D1284 brake third was not built until 1924. This form of construction formed the basis of LMS Period I stock from 1923 to 1930...

post-6680-0-18820500-1516965700_thumb.jpg

Although the basic MR bogie remained standard throughout the LMS period, a new vertical face axlebox was adopted for Stanier stock in 1933 and the springs were lengthened when a welded version of the bogie was introduced in the late 1930's.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That is a lovely piece of work.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

It's scratch built and was my first foray into 7mm scale loco building. I did the painting and lining too but there was a 4 year gap between painting and plucking up the courage to line it.

Thanks Adrian,

It's scratch built and was my first foray into 7mm scale loco building. I did the painting and lining too but there was a 4 year gap between painting and plucking up the courage to line it.

Worth the wait, though!

Final Midland Railway roundup.. A D1196 12-wheel Dining Car. In addition to the carriage, I etched the characteristic seat ends which made it rather a heavy vehicle. I also made patterns for the bogies. When i built one for myself, the weight was reduced by using Hornby plastic bogies and plastic seating.

post-6680-0-72836800-1517049208_thumb.jpg

I thought one in BR livery might be on interest...

post-6680-0-58513700-1517049805_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-63648400-1517138569_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Final Midland Railway roundup.. A D1196 12-wheel Dining Car. In addition to the carriage, I etched the characteristic seat ends which made it rather a heavy vehicle. I also made patterns for the bogies. When i built one for myself, the weight was reduced by using Hornby plastic bogies and plastic seating.

attachicon.gifWEB Pre Group MR diner.jpg

I thought one in BR livery might be on interest...

attachicon.gifWEB pre group Diner 2.jpg

The seat ends are very characteristic. Did you ever build any of the earlier Clerestory diners? Claytons 60-footers as well as Bain's 65-footers?

The seat ends are very characteristic. Did you ever build any of the earlier Clerestory diners? Claytons 60-footers as well as Bain's 65-footers?

No.  A quick solution to the clerestory roof (main roof section) was never found. It was low-elliptical post arc-roof. The only arc roof stock i produced was 'Sheffield' 8' 6" wide stock... (photos below). D551 composite. They were done circa 2004 and were a bit clunky compared with my later products...

post-6680-0-20402200-1517056410_thumb.jpg

D552 brake third....

post-6680-0-34040100-1517056412_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

No.  A quick solution to the clerestory roof (main roof section) was never found. It was low-elliptical post arc-roof. The only arc roof stock i produced was 'Sheffield' 8' 6" wide stock... (photos below). D551 composite. They were done circa 2004 and were a bit clunky compared with my later products...

If I could reach that level of "clunkiness" in my own work I would be overjoyed!

• RMweb Premium

Nothing from the GWR yet? What, must put that right. Here’s something different, a 7mm. model of the first standard gauge shunting engine. Two were built as 0-4-2ST, in 1857 by Beyer Peacock, Works no’s 50/1, GWR 91/2, and employed around Chester. Twenty years later, they were rebuilt at Saltley, using the best bits to make one engine, no.92, which a year later lost the trailing wheelset. It was usually helping in the Wrexham coalfield. Wolverhampton works took it in 1893, turning it out looking like a short 850 tank, which is how I’ve modelled it, in the old Wolverhampton paint scheme. The cab entrance is on the other side, incidentally. It worked around Wrexham for some time then, but was seen at Severn Tunnel Junction in 1936, and at Radyr in 1938. In 1939 it went to Wellington, Salop, and was withdrawn in 1942, at 84years old, although the boiler lasted there for some years after raising steam.post-26540-0-82071300-1517065813_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14