The Pre-Grouping Modelling Showcase.

That 7F looks lovely, as does the 3F, but it's the carriages that really catch my eye. My user name may give you a hint of my main interest, but it also shows you my one and only S&D blue carriage (so far). Modelling in 1930 I'm not sure I can justify any more... Is that one of your little helpers slacking in the corner in your first pic? :D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, CarriageShed said:

That 7F looks lovely, as does the 3F, but it's the carriages that really catch my eye. My user name may give you a hint of my main interest, but it also shows you my one and only S&D blue carriage (so far). Modelling in 1930 I'm not sure I can justify any more... Is that one of your little helpers slacking in the corner in your first pic? :D

Thanks, the 7F and SDJR Bulldog were built by the late Denys Brownlee, the 3F is scratchbuilt, 4F from a Mike Raithby kit, 2F is a heavily rebuilt Union Mills body with new chassis and tender and the little 1F tank is an etched body (4mm reduction, Craftsman origins I think) on a new chassis.

The coaches are Worsley works etches, the 6 wheelers have my own etched underframe, the bogie stock has 2mm Association Fox bogies.

I dont know who the chap in the background is, the boss and main helper is here at NEWGOG before I had built the mock up of the S&D shed.

I shall be taking this little module and the stock to Railex at Aylesbury in a few weeks, see 

4.jpg.d5591ec661bbe140fe693af81dd33ee9.jpg

Jerry

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I should have added that the belpaire has had better wheels and  motor gearbox since it was first built.

Originally it sported Hamblins wheels and a Ks mark1 motor.

painted by my old mate Larry Goddard.

The compound was painted by me, so you will never see the two engines together.

Derek

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely stuff Derek. Although most enthusiasts of Johnson's work rate his 'slim boiler' engines most highly in the elegance stakes, I think that what he achieved with the fin de siecle larger boilered locomotives and the 'water carts' was also a tour de force. Mind you, I'd love to see some pictures of your 1808 in due course.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your nice comments Dave.  I had meant to create a thread showing the building of my 1808, but because of my cranky knees, when I sit down at my bench, I stay there, so any photos I should have taken of the build are missed.

I will, though, try to take some pics of the progress so far, although it looks anything but elegant at the moment.

Derek

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Agree.  Could we beg a brief tutorial?

I simply use this website - http://funny.pho.to/old-photo-effect/ Upload your photo and it does all the rest. It leaves the word 'photo' in the top right hand corner on the downloaded images, so I remove that by airbrushing over with Photoshop. There's probably some way of not having that, or perhaps adding your own text but I haven't worked that out yet. If anyone does find out if that's the case please let me know.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

I simply use this website - http://funny.pho.to/old-photo-effect/ Upload your photo and it does all the rest. It leaves the word 'photo' in the top right hand corner on the downloaded images, so I remove that by airbrushing over with Photoshop. There's probably some way of not having that, or perhaps adding your own text but I haven't worked that out yet. If anyone does find out if that's the case please let me know.

Thanks very much, works like a treat!

2849301_DrillHallPostcard02a.JPG.c863c9d64af86d59dc0a5456dbbb0b30.JPG

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Well, if we are all playing with the editing tool...

5350551C-D4D9-4DF6-8290-0843E8BBB078.jpg.88f881d91e97802ff479128a5b4bce79.jpg

You can also add text to the bottom with the tools on the left of the image.

Gary

For this, you need the Daguerreotype filter!

• Like 2