Gilberdyke Modernisation (Real Railway)

• RMweb Gold

I managed to photo the sign, Mick. The guards strikes are only Saturdays at the moment. I wonder if it will be completed on the weekend of the 24th and 25th, only they were only working on Oxmardyke crossing yesterday, which was closed to all road traffic.

Anyway, here’s the sign:

post-22631-0-96957200-1542128771_thumb.jpeg

I hope that the sign helps...

• RMweb Premium

That's OK, Mick. I admit to being most baffled. Hopefully the puzzle can be solved.

No need to be baffled - It is entirely logical that NR may have split the commissioning into 2 stages so as to avoid disrupting Monday / Friday commuters.

IIRC the scheme was originality scheduled to be done over a bank Holiday weekend this summer - i.e. 3 days (which also means that schools traffic isn't a factor).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A day left to get your pictures and memories.

Thanks for the reminder Mick. I actually managed to get out last weekend to take a few last shots.

• RMweb Gold

I might manage one or two photos from the train to York tomorrow. It’s certainly been good how the old signals and cabins have lasted so long. They will not be forgotten, and live on, as always, in our memories, pictures and videos.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Called in and had a look at Gilberdyke yesterday, nothing much (if anything) had changed on the ground.

post-32776-0-33141700-1543176341_thumb.jpg

Except for 'Line Blockage" markers in the four-foot.

post-32776-0-64113500-1543176455_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-02446200-1543176531_thumb.jpg

However, today was a different story. Most of the semaphores are still visible, but now clearly out of use. Some semaphores have actually been removed.

post-32776-0-33617900-1543176076_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-43225900-1543176882_thumb.jpg

post-32776-0-50145800-1543174802_thumb.jpg

As time permits during the week, I'll post a few "before and after" photos showing more of the semaphores and new colour light signals.

Apologies for the quality of today's photos, but is was less than a perfect day - lots of drizzle and low cloud.

• Like 4

I managed to photo the sign, Mick. The guards strikes are only Saturdays at the moment. I wonder if it will be completed on the weekend of the 24th and 25th, only they were only working on Oxmardyke crossing yesterday, which was closed to all road traffic.

Anyway, here’s the sign:

attachicon.gif49614FD5-EB22-4E2E-9AE8-43B2FF136573.jpeg

I hope that the sign helps...

Is there some gauge enhancements taking place round there?

Sure I read something about containers from the port at Immingham

• RMweb Premium

According to BBC Look North this morning, things appear to have not gone to plan with all trains between Hull and Selby cancelled due to overrunning engineering work.   Engineers are apparently on scene.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

According to BBC Look North this morning, things appear to have not gone to plan with all trains between Hull and Selby cancelled due to overrunning engineering work.   Engineers are apparently on scene.

Jamie

I saw a few engineers about the line yesterday, but that was nothing unusual as I presumed they were busy carring out "commissioning testing", which is par for the course for a resignalling/recontrol project such as this. The "overrunning engineering work" doesn't necessarily mean the physical engineering activities at the lineside, could just as easily be problems many miles away these days, e.g. York ROC. Given that this changeover was scheduled to have happened sometime back in April (I think), I'm sure time was well spent testing all the comms links and kit on the ground in isolation of each other, the crunch comes (from my own experience) when you connect it all up and expect things to communicate with each other straight away with no problems. Somehow technology has a way of disappointing you in this respect. I'm sure it will get sorted soonest (it has to get sorted as they can't go back now having physically removed some of the mechanical signals, and no doubt quite a few of the signallers).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Well, I’ve just looked at the live departure boards on National Rail, and all is now back to normal running:

Trains are now able to run normally between Selby / Goole and Hull following over running engineering works between Gilberdyke and Hull.

So the new era starts, and I hope it will be good with the trains running normally. The semaphores and cabins will always be in our memories and photo’s.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Reports of problems with the new signals. Aspects changing to red in front of trains etc.

To be pedantic thats not a problem with signals - they are merely an arrangement of coloured lights.

I was looking into a 'signal that changed to red in front of a driver' this afternoon (in Sussex that is) - which was actually a track circuit briefly showing occupied when it was actually clear (SOWC to use the professional acronym).

However if the signal cannot communicate with the interlocking it defaults to showing a red aspect - similarly if the interlocking doesn't know the status of a track circuit / axle counter / set of points it will tell signals to return to red to protect the bit of railway affected.

Our investigation this afternoon suggest that in fact the track circuit is operating correctly - the issue probably lies in a defective lineside cable carrying a repeater circuit back to the interlocking - in effect we are talking a communication issue and nothing to do with the signal, the track circuit or even the 'brain' of the system (the interlocking)

• RMweb Premium

To be pedantic thats not a problem with signals - they are merely an arrangement of coloured lights.

I was looking into a 'signal that changed to red in front of a driver' this afternoon (in Sussex that is) - which was actually a track circuit briefly showing occupied when it was actually clear (SOWC to use the professional acronym).

However if the signal cannot communicate with the interlocking it defaults to showing a red aspect - similarly if the interlocking doesn't know the status of a track circuit / axle counter / set of points it will tell signals to return to red to protect the bit of railway affected.

Our investigation this afternoon suggest that in fact the track circuit is operating correctly - the issue probably lies in a defective lineside cable carrying a repeater circuit back to the interlocking - in effect we are talking a communication issue and nothing to do with the signal, the track circuit or even the 'brain' of the system (the interlocking)

That's interesting Phil.   IIRC there have beena  fw problems about comms to and from York ROC.   Not only on this job but also the whole saga about the 800's running on juice is to do with the comms to and from York.

Jamie

That's interesting Phil.   IIRC there have beena  fw problems about comms to and from York ROC.   Not only on this job but also the whole saga about the 800's running on juice is to do with the comms to and from York.

Jamie

wouldn’t there have been new Telecomms installations as part of the scheme?

There usually is these days.

Every scheme I know of that has moved an area in the ROC has new comms.

Comms to the IECC next door is a different matter and they may not like the IETs.

• RMweb Premium

Jamie

Two totally different problems Jamie, other than the common denominator being York ROC.

The '800' problems are EMC/EMI related, both with the 800s and the infrastructure (though the infrastructure doesn't suffer he same level of EMC/EMI issues from other types of electric traction).

The Selby - Hull (via Gilberdyke) route is not electrified, so the problems are not EMC/EMI related. Plus the "interlocking on the Selby - Hull route is not SSI (which the ECML from Balne to Edinburgh is).

Most new renewal/resignalling schemes have an element of teething troubles of one form or another, possibly more so these days with the high level of "electronics" rather than the more traditional electro-mechanical installations of yore. But most of these problems are quite quickly sorted these days with all the monitoring and diagnostics available to narrow down troublesome pieces of kit.

Plus all the "local" lineside signalling kit on the Selby - Hull route will be fed to the nearest FTN node and fed back to York on the Fibre Optic cable transmission network.

• RMweb Premium

Two totally different problems Jamie, other than the common denominator being York ROC.

The '800' problems are EMC/EMI related, both with the 800s and the infrastructure (though the infrastructure doesn't suffer he same level of EMC/EMI issues from other types of electric traction).

The Selby - Hull (via Gilberdyke) route is not electrified, so the problems are not EMC/EMI related. Plus the "interlocking on the Selby - Hull route is not SSI (which the ECML from Balne to Edinburgh is).

Most new renewal/resignalling schemes have an element of teething troubles of one form or another, possibly more so these days with the high level of "electronics" rather than the more traditional electro-mechanical installations of yore. But most of these problems are quite quickly sorted these days with all the monitoring and diagnostics available to narrow down troublesome pieces of kit.

Plus all the "local" lineside signalling kit on the Selby - Hull route will be fed to the nearest FTN node and fed back to York on the Fibre Optic cable transmission network.

Actually those 'high level electronics are not normally the problem - its more mundane things like wires / cables not terminated properly, points not properly adjusted, etc which are the biggest problem with new signalling.

When the low level at London Bridge was re-modelled a few years ago the S&T were plagued by point failures due to installation defects. After 6 months or so (by which time the techs had been round and maintained them a few times and been able to correct the things that wern't set up right at the start) things were much improved.

I have seen the same happen myself on other BML renewal projects.....

The thing is commissioning new signalling is a very complex job which requires lots of people AND needs to be done very quickly. As such people usually don't have the luxury of spending ages on things - 'is it safe and does it work? are the two things they care about - underlying defects like stretcher bars not set to the correct length or point backdrives not to spec will be ignored in the rush to get the railway up and running again. However once this happens those underlying defects will make their presence felt...

• RMweb Gold

Way back in the 1960s the first part of Slough resignalling to be commissioned through Slough station was the Relief Lines so they were reopened to traffic and the Mains were closed to allow their changeover to take place.  The very first train to pass through Slough station under the control of the new signalling, and Slough panel, was a 28XX hauled freight and as it approached the signal at the west end of Slough Down Relief platform cleared from a red aspect to 'black'.  There would seem to be nothing new in the world, just that the electricity takes, or doesn't take, a somewhat more advanced sort of route to do its job (or not) nowadays.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Hi all just joined this forum and stumbled on this thread. As im from gilberdyke this is brilliant and loved reading it thanks for sharing. many many hours spent at the station and trackside, our football/cricket/rugby pitch was the train car park, opposite the signal box on both sides of the bridge was our ski slopes in winter, along with den building too. As for the 4 tracks at the station the eastbound platform is built on the lines and on the platform slope you can still see the tracks poking out of the end of the platform. Signalling was my showing off point as my mates didnt have a clue i could tell them which route the next train from hull was going until one mate noticed the train goes to goole when the "little signal is up" out of the 2 next to each other :D Once again a great read and thanks for sharing

• Like 1