CAF Mark 5 coach in 4mm scratchbuild

• 2 weeks later...

Is having a go at the Mark 5A DVTs (classified MCs) for Transpennine Express. This is my first attempt at complex compound curves, so its taking a little longer than normal.

I am happy with progress so far.

post-27529-0-85156700-1520897074_thumb.png

Again, how long before Dapol announces them with their 68s?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Is having a go at the Mark 5A DVTs (classified MCs) for Transpennine Express. This is my first attempt at complex compound curves, so its taking a little longer than normal.

I am happy with progress so far.

attachicon.gifPicture1.png

Again, how long before Dapol announces them with their 68s?

Nice one Cal.

Not quite certain where the MC description comes from as they have no motors/power...... MC would normally be motor composite.

Unless they've changed the order/specification, they are standard class driving vehicles so should be a DS (or DSO) by today's designation

Cheers,

Mick

(I'll have to repaint a 68 if you carry on with these.......)

Nice one Cal.

Not quite certain where the MC description comes from as they have no motors/power...... MC would normally be motor composite.

http://www.caf.net/en/productos-servicios/proyectos/proyecto-detalle.php?p=285

Ahh, one is listed at Tc which makes more sense. That maybe just an internal CAF thing though and it would just be DVT over here.

The only other thing I can think of for M is [train] manager (guards compartment).

• RMweb Premium

Ahh, one is listed at Tc which makes more sense. That maybe just an internal CAF thing though and it would just be DVT over here.

The only other thing I can think of for M is [train] manager (guards compartment).

I've read somewhere that the brake compartment is in one of the intermediate coaches.

edit - probably the link you posted above - DOH!)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Nice work, Cal.

Have you seen this: http://railcolornews.com/2018/03/12/uk-caf-mk-5a-coaches-for-the-transpennine-express-to-velim/

Looks a very smart train to me.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks for the link, it turns out the design around the buffers and windscreen has changed considerably from the real thing to the concept artworks here

From what I can work out, it is so that it will have more windscreen surround components with this thing

For anyone interested in doing something similar, find a good side on or head on image (preferably both) and position on the model itself and build up from basic lines.

post-27529-0-04576400-1521133470_thumb.png

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

Since Dapol's TPE liveried 68 has been announced and no announcement of any mark 5s (yet), I've made a bit more progress on the cab end of the Mark 5 'DT'

Big thanks to Jack (Jack374) for the side photo of the cab, very helpful  :sungum:

post-27529-0-30147600-1536345682_thumb.png

Edited by cal.n
  • Like 2

Why would it be a DVT if there is no Van? Looks more like a DST, Driving Standard Trailer. The whole thing with DVTs was the post-Polmadie requirement NOT to have passengers in the leading coach of 100+mph trains, so BR put the Guard and Luggage Van in the other Driving coach, hence DVT.

Edited by BernardTPM

Why would it be a DVT if there is no Van? Looks more like a DST, Driving Standard Trailer. The whole thing with DVTs was the post-Polmadie requirement NOT to have passengers in the leading coach of 100+mph trains, so BR put the Guard and Luggage Van in the other Driving coach, hence DVT.

You're right, there would be no V as it is not a van. Interesting that the reason for the (mk3/4) DVT.

I believe the trains will consist of 1 x TF (Trailer First), 3 x TS (Trailer Standard) and 1 x DT (Driving Trailer).

The TF will also contain the guard/train managers 'office' and the DT contains standard class seating.

Edited by cal.n

I'll be designing the bogie. The wheels I'll be getting from the US. And if by chance I can't get them I'll source wheels of a suitable diametre and grind the pin-points down.

Thanks for suggestion, I'll probably list it as something along the lines of what you've suggested.

The steps have since been corrected to the finest dimensions that are printable.

Couplings are there just for a guide and aren't part of the end product.

The couplings are only there temporarily. It's nothing concrete.

The model should based on what I've drawn traverse 3rd raidus curves with a narrow tension lock coupling.

Rapido uses an 8mm wheel on its LRC cars.

Bachmann uses a 10mm wheel on its Amfleet stock.

Athearn uses a 10mm wheel on its bi-level commuter cars.

The Athearn wheel is the better-looking of the larger wheel sets. 

My experience of running North American cars with inside-bearing wheel sets is that they have all the roll-ability of a house-brick! (CJL)

Looking superb mate, keep at it! :good:

Thanks,

Jack.

I am very tempted to order some of your 3d printed parts and have a go at a mk 5. Super work mate please keep going .

Thanks guys, really means a lot. I will do more when I get the time

• Like 1

Making slow progress, but I have a question...

Does anyone have any idea how to recreate the curved windscreen and other curved clear sections? As far as I am aware, there is no real way to do a 3D print clear enough to really be an option. Clear plasticard will be fine for the door and passenger windows but would not curve in two directions for the cab and drivers side windows.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome. 

Hi Cal,

The only 'real' idea that springs to mind is vacuum forming some clear plastic. I used to do this at my high school, but of course you’d need access to a vac former to do it properly. One way around this might be to obtain some acetate, thin PVC or thin clear plasticard or similar (roughly 0.25mm or thinner) and heat with a hairdryer or soldering iron. The plastic we used at school would become malleable if left next to a radiator, so I wouldn’t think there’d be any issue getting enough heat in...just use a thinner plastic if this is the case. Then make a couple of rough forms (possibly 3D print the window section?) and place it over.

I’ve seen people mould clear parts using a clear resin, but I’m not sure a large window is the best application for this (the article I read was detailing how to make light lenses).

I’d say your best bet is vacuum forming or heating/forming...maybe get an A4 sheet or two from eBay (or whatever marketplace) and have a go!! :yes:

Good luck!

Jack.

• Like 1

Making slow progress, but I have a question...

Does anyone have any idea how to recreate the curved windscreen and other curved clear sections? As far as I am aware, there is no real way to do a 3D print clear enough to really be an option. Clear plasticard will be fine for the door and passenger windows but would not curve in two directions for the cab and drivers side windows.

Any suggestions/ideas welcome. 

I shall experiment with my CAD and PM you if I make any progress. 

• Like 1

Hi Cal,

The only 'real' idea that springs to mind is vacuum forming some clear plastic. I used to do this at my high school, but of course you’d need access to a vac former to do it properly. One way around this might be to obtain some acetate, thin PVC or thin clear plasticard or similar (roughly 0.25mm or thinner) and heat with a hairdryer or soldering iron. The plastic we used at school would become malleable if left next to a radiator, so I wouldn’t think there’d be any issue getting enough heat in...just use a thinner plastic if this is the case. Then make a couple of rough forms (possibly 3D print the window section?) and place it over.

I’ve seen people mould clear parts using a clear resin, but I’m not sure a large window is the best application for this (the article I read was detailing how to make light lenses).

I’d say your best bet is vacuum forming or heating/forming...maybe get an A4 sheet or two from eBay (or whatever marketplace) and have a go!! :yes:

Good luck!

Jack.

Thanks, I lie the idea of making a former to heat a clear plastic sheet over. I'll try that when I get to that stage.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This might help you with the sleepers.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95924-caf-to-build-new-lhcs-for-caledonian-sleeper/?p=1800530

There are diagrams from when they were ordered. You’ll need to check them against what’s arrived in the uk as I think one sort of coach (the pods) were not built as the regulator didn’t like pod beds.

• 4 weeks later...

...with a final price of £25.99 for the bodyshell.

Why 99p?

Why not make the extra penny of profit and make it a round number?

Remember, the old £25.99 looks way cheaper than £26 doesn't work these days. I'd rather pay the extra penny and have a round number.

I am probably in the minority.

I've read somewhere that the brake compartment is in one of the intermediate coaches.

edit - probably the link you posted above - DOH!)

Cheers,

Mick

It's not classified as a DOH.  That's a Driving Open Handbrake (no van).   :angel:

Polmont.