Barge boards

Perhaps consider making your own

Not much help to the OP, but I have just done some for Radstock North A signal box. Made from Evergreen strip, I stuck on a photocopy from C. Handley's book on with white glue,then cut and drilled to match. Once I had the first one, I clamped it to a new piece of strip and used it as a stencil. It took me 7 goes to get 4 good ones, two of the duff ones were before I had the first good one, then the last duff one was when I got too cocky with my production line!

post-28787-0-60431500-1516795097_thumb.jpg

Neil

Edited by neilkirby
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for departing somewhat from the OP rather but Neil’s signal box picture has prompted my enquiries.
I’m gathering materials together to build a 4mm model of Templecombe No. 2 box which like Radstock is based on S&D type 2.  Can’t help noticing that you’ve got the curvy valances in place and are well on with steps and window frames.  I’ve been wondering where to get these – can you (or anyone) help?  I had been contemplating a post about this anyway and had started to ask who has already built type 2 box models but without success so far. 
Valances.  Yours look spot on and are very similar to Templecombe’s.  Where did you get them please?
Steps.  Both boxes have two flights of steps.  Are yours scratch built?  The handrails are different.
Main window frames:  they look to be a standard height (45 inches including frames –  as with the rebuilt Midsomer Norton box) in both but Templecombe’s has varying lengths, some the same as Radstock.  Has anyone commissioned type 2 frames from a laser cutter that would be usable for extra orders?  LCUT Creative and York Model Making have made windows for me in the past and I know York keep the dimensions for re-use possibly at different scales.
Making model buildings is still a bit new for me and Templecombe No. 2 is a fairly complex structure so any hints are more than welcome!   I made the paper mock up on the photo quite a while back and am determined to build the model this year.
Cheers.

post-10226-0-99418100-1516916859_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi,

Thank you for taking an interest. The bargeboards are scratch from evergreen strip as described above.

This model has a long history. I started it about 20 years ago. and it sat as an empty shell in various places over that time. It has also been knocked to the floor twice by the cat and glued back together. I paused the build originally because I could not work out exactly what was going on under the mid platform of the stairs, there are loads of pictures available after the box was refurbished, with the porch being built (1956?), but have yet to find any clear ones from before. I had misread Chris's book and had thought that the toilet had only been built at this time. so I did not know what was there before. Only last year when re-reading did I realise that the toilet had always been there, just had different walls, that was when I restarted this project.

The steps are modified bought items from EMA, they are not quite right, with too many steps, placed closer together than they should be. I think as a result of them being meant for H0? but I am going to live with that. The sides aren't deep enough either, so I added a thin piece of evergreen to both the top and bottom edges.

The windows you can see are again scratch made from transparent plasticard and evergreen laid on with a not so steady hand and a lot of cursing.

I have also made the facias for the roof sides, these were made from Slaters planked plasticard with holes drilled in the grooves and then a razor saw run up each groove to meet the hole. It took me about 6 goes to get two that I am reasonable happy with, they are not perfect, but not sure I could do them any better if I had another dozen tries. I will post more pictures later.

I had actually done most of the top cabin windows when I started it. but over the years the transparent plasticard went yellow, so I stripped them back out. I have kept them as patterns to make new ones though. I even made the sliding ones work by sitting them in runners made of evergreen 'u' channel!

Recently I have also done the interior, Including a tiny version of Kath Parker, the signal woman in the early '50s

To be honest, this has become a bit obsessive. I still do not know how it was painted at the time I plan to model. If ever I am going to get my layout built I will have to compromise more, or live to about 500. Maybe I should start a thread on here, as with my conversions of 2 Bachmann 7Fs, one to 1914 build , and the other to the large boiler type. it was posting on RMWeb that encouraged me to push on to completion.

Neil

PS  Sorry for rambling on, also sorry for hijacking the thread!

Edited by neilkirby

Neil - looking at your photo and reading your post reminds me that I do not recall ever seeing a colour photo of the 'East' box, tho' no doubt - with my memory! - I probably have but forgotten it :-)

However, I wondered if you intended in due course to paint the brickwork or to leave it as it is? Was it red brick, or something more akin to the darker 'engineers' type brick used at Wellow? I have always assumed the latter, but it would be nice to get a definitive answer.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for departing somewhat from the OP rather but Neil’s signal box picture has prompted my enquiries.

I’m gathering materials together to build a 4mm model of Templecombe No. 2 box which like Radstock is based on S&D type 2.  Can’t help noticing that you’ve got the curvy valances in place and are well on with steps and window frames.  I’ve been wondering where to get these – can you (or anyone) help?  I had been contemplating a post about this anyway and had started to ask who has already built type 2 box models but without success so far. 

Valances.  Yours look spot on and are very similar to Templecombe’s.  Where did you get them please?

Steps.  Both boxes have two flights of steps.  Are yours scratch built?  The handrails are different.

Main window frames:  they look to be a standard height (45 inches including frames –  as with the rebuilt Midsomer Norton box) in both but Templecombe’s has varying lengths, some the same as Radstock.  Has anyone commissioned type 2 frames from a laser cutter that would be usable for extra orders?  LCUT Creative and York Model Making have made windows for me in the past and I know York keep the dimensions for re-use possibly at different scales.

Making model buildings is still a bit new for me and Templecombe No. 2 is a fairly complex structure so any hints are more than welcome!   I made the paper mock up on the photo quite a while back and am determined to build the model this year.

Cheers.

attachicon.gifIMG_1363m1.jpg

Very nice looking layout on the way there.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have seen at least one colour photo in published books I have, but that is again after the refurbishment, during which I am assuming the cabin was repainted. The base is red brick, I intend to leave the basic colour, but will use a pigments brushed into the gaps for mortar, a few bricks painted slightly different colours, gunge it up a bit with some dark grey and black  applied with a small piece of sponge and some more misted on with an airbrush. I will be using acrylics only though, the reason being that way back when I started this project I tried some techniques using enamel washes. Then last year while sorting through the bits and pieces to continue this project I found the test piece of Wills brick sheet and it had gone very brittle, snapping under light finger pressure. so glad I did not do all the base at that time!

Neil

Edited by neilkirby

Hi,

It's in 'The Somerset & Dorset, then & now' by Max Hawkins,  I've looked through all my books but still havent found the other one. In my head it is one of only a couple of colour shots in a mainly black and white book, maybe back cover or title page.  I've either lost a book, or more likely going mad!

Neil

Edited by neilkirby

Page 99 on mine, I believe it is a first edition (Black edge dust  jacket 1986). The revised edition has a blue edged dust jacket, I thought revised versions normally add extra content, not take it away!

Edited by neilkirby

Page 99 on mine, I believe it is a first edition (Black edge dust  jacket 1986). The revised edition has a blue edged dust jacket, I thought revised versions normally add extra content, not take it away!

Hmmm... I have the revised (blue cover) edition, my page 99 is a plan of Shepton Mallet. <grumble>

Hmmm... I have the revised (blue cover) edition, my page 99 is a plan of Shepton Mallet. <grumble>

I feel there is some confusion here.There is a picture of Templecombe No 2 Box in the Mac Hawkins book (of which I seem to have acquired two copies on my shelf, 1 1995 the other 1999)    it is Plate No 99 on P145, black and white photo in both copies on that page if this helps.  

I feel there is some confusion here.There is a picture of Templecombe No 2 Box in the Mac Hawkins book (of which I seem to have acquired two copies on my shelf, 1 1995 the other 1999)    it is Plate No 99 on P145, black and white photo in both copies on that page if this helps.  

Indeed - the photo about which I was talking was the one of Radstock North 'A' (post No 11) :-)

• RMweb Premium

I could`nt find any suitable S&D barge boards in my 4mm  S&D days.

So it`ll be out with the plasticard etc I`m afraid......

attachicon.giffe26_004.jpg

Regards

John

John,

Very nice model.  Did you scratchbuild the stairs/handrails and curved valances or did you find ready made sources?

Thanks.

Tim.