Plans for a small prototype northern layout

Hi there! I have been modeling for 4 years now and would like a new challenge - modeling a prototype. Now so far my occasional research searches on google haven't shown anything up yet but I would like to model something Scottish/ north eastern region in the late 50s with diesels and steam. The location is purely because of my current collection of stock. The layout would have to be 4 foot by roughly 1 foot (that dimension is more adjustable) and standard gauge in oo gauge. I operate on a very small budget so preferably a layout without much point work (3 scenic points at tops but 2 is my preference). Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. :)

How about Eyemouth?  No run-round loop - fly-shunting the rule.  As I recall, about 3 sidings including one with a platform face for loading fish vans.  You would need to have a slight gradient for the fly-shunting to work!

Or North Sunderland Railway - at Seahouses.  Needs 4 points, includes engine shed, passenger platform, run-round loop and 2 sidings, once with fish platform.

HTH

Richard

You won't get much of Eyemouth, or anywhere else, on a board that's just 4' x 1'.  Fly shunting as practiced at Eyemouth among other places is more accurately called gravity shunting as the train would stop outside the station limits, the Guard would screw down his brake, the engine would uncouple and move forward into a siding, and when the road was reset the Guard would release his brake and the train would roll down into the station. The engine could then emerge and recouple to the rear of the train. It does of course depend on there being a suitable gradient! You won't get much of that on a 4'x1' board either...

Richard

Ok that's very helpful, thank you. I think i would have to model in a larger area to capture eyemouth properly. I do remember seeing the oo gauge 'Port Penan' layout a couple of years ago in a magazine and also at an exhibition. Here are some picture of it if you haven't seen it before:post-32204-0-61489600-1517043658_thumb.jpgpost-32204-0-82360500-1517043672_thumb.jpg I really like the look of if but was wondering how prototypical it is. Any advice? TIA :)

• Like 3

" I really like the look of if but was wondering how prototypical it is. Any advice? TIA  :) "

The short answer is 'not very' – it's a pastiche at best, but that's all you can hope for in a 4'x1' space. If you go for a much earlier period, say c1900, or for a light railway c1910, then you can have much smaller/shorter engines and stock – an even get away with sharper radius curves – which would help the illusion. And more depth would be good too... 

Richard

Fly shunting and gravity shunting are two different things!

Gravity shunting is using the gradient to allow wagons to roll down hill.

Fly shunting allows the wagons to be placed in a facing siding when the locomotive is between the train/wagons and the siding. The train is moved forward slowly and the locomotive buffers up and is uncoupled on the move before accelerating away into another road before the point is changed allowing the wagons to go in the facing siding!

Fly shunting has been outlawed for a long time as the possibility of error is vast!

Mark Saunders

Loch Tay sounds and looks great. Does anyone know where I could get some map/aerial plans of the station? There seem to be a fair few pictures out there of a basic track plan but no perspectives of a map. Looks like the railway will have to be adapted a bit to fit my layout space. Thanks Mark for clearing up my confusion of the different types of shunting and as you say I'm not surprised that fly shunting is no more! Still a fun thing to model:)

Guest teacupteacup

Loch Tay sounds and looks great. Does anyone know where I could get some map/aerial plans of the station? There seem to be a fair few pictures out there of a basic track plan but no perspectives of a map. Looks like the railway will have to be adapted a bit to fit my layout space. Thanks Mark for clearing up my confusion of the different types of shunting and as you say I'm not surprised that fly shunting is no more! Still a fun thing to model:)

This is the only map I can find, tie it up with photos...

http://maps.nls.uk//view/82898586

There is also this thread too if you havent seen it

Edited by teacupteacup

Ok that's very helpful, thank you. I think i would have to model in a larger area to capture eyemouth properly. I do remember seeing the oo gauge 'Port Penan' layout a couple of years ago in a magazine and also at an exhibition. Here are some picture of it if you haven't seen it before:attachicon.gifDSC08001.JPGattachicon.gifWP_20180118_002.jpg I really like the look of if but was wondering how prototypical it is. Any advice? TIA :)

I know the owner of this layout and have operated it. It may not be prototypical but it is a practical plan and has plenty of operational interest.

Oh, and one more thing. It's EM/18.2 gauge, 4mm scale.

steve

I do like the Port Penan track plan and the operational potential that comes with it so the layout track plans I have been looking for have some of the same characteristics as that: small terminus station, run around loop, space for goods wagons etc. Thank you for correcting me on the gauge of the layout - no doubt it is a mistake I would have continued to make.

The trick was not to be caught or caught out/have a plausible explanation !

Guest teacupteacup

I know the owner of this layout and have operated it. It may not be prototypical but it is a practical plan and has plenty of operational interest.

Oh, and one more thing. It's EM/18.2 gauge, 4mm scale.

steve

Hi Steve

You wouldnt happen to have any photos of it would you? 

TC

" I really like the look of if but was wondering how prototypical it is. Any advice? TIA  :) "

The short answer is 'not very' – it's a pastiche at best, but that's all you can hope for in a 4'x1' space. If you go for a much earlier period, say c1900, or for a light railway c1910, then you can have much smaller/shorter engines and stock – an even get away with sharper radius curves – which would help the illusion. And more depth would be good too... 

Richard

There is noting wrong with a bit of pastiche in model train land, or crude slapdash and implausible as Tim Shackleton may have said sometime long ago....Though I cant actually remember his last complete layout been on show much.

It is far better to capture the spirit of the place than try to re-create it all down to the last millimetre - Unless you have room for a 4mm scale BLT upwards of about 35 feet long an then some.... ;)

• Like 1

I see where you are coming from but with modeling free lance for all my time modeling does make me want to do something more prototypical. I was wondering if loch yay would be possible on a 4x1 board. Lets say 1 foot for points (I would use peco minimum radius ones ro save space), 1 foot 4 inches for the platform(just long enough for one coach and a box car) then 1 foot for the head shunt and 8 inches for the engine shed (obviously not as deep as the prototype but would be flush with the backscene. I might cut down the length of the head shunt just so I can fit a bit more space between the fiddle yard entrance and the first point.

I have a friend who has a 'library' of railway modellers since the 1970s so could probably borrow it of him. Does anyone here know what the issue number is by any chance and are there any books out there that will tell me more about the Killin railway specifically Loch Tay station? TIA

Edited by luke the train spotter

I have a friend who has a 'library' of railway modellers since the 1970s so could probably borrow it of him. Does anyone here know what the issue number is by any chance and are there any books out there that will tell me more about the Killin railway specifically Loch Tay station? TIA

the article went into detail about the line its workings and stock etc seem to remember plans for a cowans rail mounted crane in oo in the same edition have a feeling it was an annual so might be worth checking down those lines 

Guest teacupteacup

Smashing, thank you, and also thanks to Steve for the owners info

This layout reminds of a layout I seen in a mag a hundred years ago, think the pics had a clayton in them

Cracking small layout

Edited by teacupteacup