Oxford announce 12T Tank Wagons

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Wow, never thought proper Lager was brewed in the UK till after WW2.

https://lager-frenzy.com/2010/03/15/cheap-and-cheerful-or-a-uk-lager-classic/

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2012/08/grahams-golden-lager-skol-1933-1994.html

• 1 month later...
On 23/11/2019 at 22:58, phil-b259 said:

I am no expert on lager, but the LB&SCR hosted large advertisements for Tennent's Pilsner Beer.

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Aside from the lack of discharge pipes that Clive has pointed out, are these a good representation of the real thing? I'm not up to speed on tank wagons. Looking "fantastic" is one thing, accuracy another.

Would be nice to see some Shell/BP and Esso or Anglo American liveries if these are appropriate for this model.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, 57xx said:

Aside from the lack of discharge pipes that Clive has pointed out, are these a good representation of the real thing? I'm not up to speed on tank wagons. Looking "fantastic" is one thing, accuracy another.

Que now for someone to make a OO version of the discharge pipes ;)

On 23/11/2019 at 22:58, phil-b259 said:

I've always understood that the first lager brewed in this country was produced by a brewery in Wrexham around the start of the 20th century.

• RMweb Gold

Wrexham Lager apparently started c1882 but had gone bankrupt twice by the mid-1890s. 

Experiments in lager brewing had been made in the 1830s in Edinburgh but propagation of the yeast was unsuccessful.

Allsops lager which became Graham's Golden then Skol was I believe started in the early 20th century.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a couple of comments from Model Rail Scotland yesterday. One is that when placed alongside other tank wagons available to us rtr modellers, Oxford Rail's tank wagons are considerably smaller: that really stands out, so gives us a welcome new option on the tank wagon front. 

The other is that a BP liveried version may well be coming along ... great!

John Storey  

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 07/01/2020 at 21:41, flyingsignalman said:

I've always understood that the first lager brewed in this country was produced by a brewery in Wrexham around the start of the 20th century.

Funnily enough I've got a bottle of Wrexham Lager in the fridge.

Not normally a lager drinker, but they had it at Llangollen last time I went, so bought a few. It says to the original 1882 recipe. It's certainly not "fizzy pop" more like a real ale.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Beige, and later silver or grey, signified 'class A' liquids i.e. petrol etc. .......... heavier fuels were 'class B' and carried in black tanks. Non-hazardous liquids could be carried in any ( other ) colour tank.

Beige for 'class A' was superseded by grey during WW2 then by silver afterwards - though more recently ( 1970s ? ) this has changed to a pale grey.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Beige, and later silver or grey, signified 'class A' liquids i.e. petrol etc. .......... heavier fuels were 'class B' and carried in black tanks. Non-hazardous liquids could be carried in any ( other ) colour tank.

Beige for 'class A' was superseded by grey during WW2 then by silver afterwards - though more recently ( 1970s ? ) this has changed to a pale grey.

I think pale grey may have started soon after the first  of the modern designs, the ESSO 35t , arrived on the scene. Paul Barlett's site has an ex-works of one in silver, dated 1957, and a grey one with a re-paint date of 03/62.

• Like 1

There are pictures of an out of size round tank being hauled by a LNWR 0-6-0 the tank is part of a larger brewing plant manufactured in the USA and on route to Allsops Brewery pre WW1, Allsops went bankrupt in the 1920's, it was decided by the Official Receiver that the equipment and larger production be moved to Alloa, it was also renamed Graham's Golden Larger at this time, the larger was still packaged at Burton the wagons were used between Alloa and Burton, some loaded wagons worked to Southampton,  for the larger to be packaged for the ocean liners. About 1960 the product was  renamed Graham's Golden Skol Larger, then in a very short time after it became Skol Larger.  

Though not rail connected as far as I know the German brewer Holstein had a Brewery in the Wandsworth area of London pre WW1 it closed in the early 1920's due to anti German feelings. 

24 minutes ago, Robin Verth said:

There are pictures of an out of size round tank being hauled by a LNWR 0-6-0 the tank is part of a larger brewing plant manufactured in the USA and on route to Allsops Brewery pre WW1, Allsops went bankrupt in the 1920's, it was decided by the Official Receiver that the equipment and larger production be moved to Alloa, it was also renamed Graham's Golden Larger at this time, the larger was still packaged at Burton the wagons were used between Alloa and Burton, some loaded wagons worked to Southampton,  for the larger to be packaged for the ocean liners. About 1960 the product was  renamed Graham's Golden Skol Larger, then in a very short time after it became Skol Larger.  

Though not rail connected as far as I know the German brewer Holstein had a Brewery in the Wandsworth area of London pre WW1 it closed in the early 1920's due to anti German feelings. 

Clearly they didn't reallise how large the market for larger beers would become - largely because of heavy promotion by the larger brewery combines in the sixties.

• 3 months later...
On 25/06/2019 at 16:03, cctransuk said:

You beat me to it !

I would be particularly interested to learn of any authentic liveries that can be applied to this model.

I will, of course, produce transfer sheets for such liveries as can be positively identified, if the sources are quoted.

Would Paul Bartlett be kind enough to comment?

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

They look to be the same type as the two 'Royal Daylight' tank wagons located on the isle of White, source: https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=153387&search=Lens+IOW&page=9

Hope that helps.

Will

3 hours ago, lbsc123 said:

They look to be the same type as the two 'Royal Daylight' tank wagons located on the isle of White, source: https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=153387&search=Lens+IOW&page=9

Hope that helps.

Will

Will,

Thank you - unfortunately, I only produce transfers for the BR period.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 5 weeks later...

1 hour ago, 26power said:

£18.50 each quoted.

Yes indeed!

The RRP is £18.95 so not much of a reduction from Hattons.  Rails are offering them on pre-order for £15.95.

Oxford Rail themselves have posted on Facebook today

'Product update:
OR76TK2001 and OR76TK2002 will be arriving shortly, and soon after will go out to our stockists.
These wagons come with 3 link couplings in a pack inside the model for fitting by the customer if desired, please note these could affect the NEM coupling if used'.

These are the Mobil and Carless versions.

Martin

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

These look promising and having three links in the pack is a nice touch. Looking at the Mobil version and wondering what the difference between this and the Bachmann models. This has a single logo but Bachmann have done both twin and single in this livery.

• Agree 1