Oxford announce 12T Tank Wagons

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

Just out of interest does anyone think there is any basis in reality for the red headstocks and buffers on the Mobil version?  Not complaining (have black paint & can use it) but just interested.  I have a small fleet of Bachmann ones and they have black headstocks....

Apart from that, they do look like nice models.

1 minute ago, 31A said:

Just out of interest does anyone think there is any basis in reality for the red headstocks and buffers on the Mobil version?  Not complaining (have black paint & can use it) but just interested.  I have a small fleet of Bachmann ones and they have black headstocks....

Apart from that, they do look like nice models.

More to the point - is there any basis for this particular MOBIL livery on a wagon of this type?

John Isherwood.

49 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

More to the point - is there any basis for this particular MOBIL livery on a wagon of this type?

Mobil 106, a 10ton Class B but 10' 6" w/b (RCH1907) had that style of Mobil logo but it was on the left hand side and on a stand off plate. It also had o/h warning plates by the early 1960's.

Edited by Porcy Mane
Typo

38 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Mobil 106, a 10ton Class B but 10' 6" w/b (RCH1907) had that style of Mobil logo but it was on the left hand side and on a stand off plate. It also had o/h warning plates by the early 1960's.

Thanks - so far, then, an 'interpretation'.

John Isherwood.

37 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Thanks - so far, then, an 'interpretation'.

As everything is in modelling.  :smile_mini2:

Thinking about the Mobil tanks in general, I was once told that Mobil had a preference for fitting/painting their logo's on adjacent sides on tank wagons so that they would appear either on the left or right hand side.

This certainly seems to be the case looking at some of the Charringtons-Mobil 35t GLW tanks.

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Premium

I'm not an expert on tank wagons, but have seen pictures of similar-looking Mobil tanks in use to supply diesel loco fuel at King's Cross Passenger Loco in the late 1950s / early 60s.

Can't find any on line pictures at the moment.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

I suspect the "similar" Mobil tanks are anchor mounts. They weren't active in Britain until the early-mid 1950s and may not have had more elderly tanks. 

Paul

Paul,

That is what I suspected - photos of pre-WW2 origin wagons in Mobil livery seem to be extremely rare / non-existent.

I know model manufacturers like 'flashy' liveries, but there are plenty of photos of this style of tank wagon - just not in 'flashy' liveries.

IF I were to buy one of these Oxford tank wagons, it would be out with the black paint and on with some less glamourous transfers.

What a shame!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

I suspect the "similar" Mobil tanks are anchor mounts. They weren't active in Britain until the early-mid 1950s and may not have had more elderly tanks. 

Paul

25 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Paul,

That is what I suspected - photos of pre-WW2 origin wagons in Mobil livery seem to be extremely rare / non-existent.

I know model manufacturers like 'flashy' liveries, but there are plenty of photos of this style of tank wagon - just not in 'flashy' liveries.

IF I were to buy one of these Oxford tank wagons, it would be out with the black paint and on with some less glamourous transfers.

What a shame!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The ones I'm thinking of are not anchor mounted tanks; they're much more like the Oxford Rail models than that.  I still can't find any pictures on line, but three are very clearly visible in "On Great Northern Lines" by Derek Huntriss (KX Passenger Loco 20 June 1959) and also in "The Great British Railway Station: King's Cross by Paul Anderson p.75, 12 August 1959.

Mobil set up the Vacuum oil company in 1882 as their uk subsidiary, Vacuum oil 105 was similar to the Oxford model, it is quite likely that this and other Vacuum oil wagons were re-branded with Mobil logos in the fifties.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Green Diesels at Kings Cross

Photo from Flickr.

Mobil tanks of various ancestry lined up at Kings Cross. 

There is a photo that appears in many books of taken over the fence looking down into the loco yard showing various Mobil tank wagons being unloaded by siphoning, these are B tanks (black livery) but must have been A tanks earlier in life. I cannot find it on the interwebthingy.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Cor-onGRT4's helpful post above, the current Mobil release of Oxford Rail's tank wagon is in Mobil's 1955 logo.

Enlarging on an iPad screen the photo Clive has posted, there is one tank wagon in that siding which is smaller than the others. I think this is what Oxford's Rail is modelling, as I understand their model is smaller than those we have from Bachmann et al. 

Could someone give us a photo or two of Oxford Rail's model alongside a tank wagon(s) from other manufacturers, please, so we can see the difference in size?

John Storey

• Like 1

Bachmann's model is a 14T wagon and discussed briefly here 

Reckoned to be not a bad representation but these wagons (and the Oxford 12T) seem to have quite a few subtle variations. 

Paul Bartlett's photos help with later liveries and configurations but pictures of the inter-war years are scarce. I wonder if Oxford's research is documented anywhere. 

Alan 

8 hours ago, Buhar said:

Reckoned to be not a bad representation but these wagons (and the Oxford 12T) seem to have quite a few subtle variations. 

Mobil tanks 106 and 107 (photographed in use in the mid 1960's) have subtle differences from each other. Both in turn have changes to  the ex works pic of 105.

VacuumOil-105My10x8.jpg.b4e943e8389d314f7213cc9380feeee0.jpg

To those where the accuracy of the tank wagon liveries are of importance, maybe a request direct to Oxford Rail may elicit an answer?

Edited by Porcy Mane
Add an "H".
  • Thanks 1