Oxford announce 12T Tank Wagons

Garethp8873

I have just purchased the two buff coloured tanks which are both very nice and well detailed.

Can anyone advise if these tanks and fittings could be used on earlier wooden underframes suitable for the pre-grouping period and give Oxford a bit more mileage for their tooling ?

All the best

Ray

Hello Ray

I am going back nearly 70 years so memories are unreliable .

Church Path  is , I recall, a small alley off Church Road . There were small warehouses  around there and I recall smells  of paint and varnish being made . I also remember there was an industrial accident and 2 men were badly burned when a barrel of varnish caught fire . 
To be frank , I don’t know whether the site was an office or works . Mitcham had a  history chemical engineering so it could have been either . However I guess that making Benzole as a by product of coal gas production would need substantial plant .

One mystery for me is that  the Goods yard and Mitcham and the Gas works were separated and I don’t know how coal was transferred from the yard to the Gas works . I do recall huge 8 wheeler Foden  trucks with high sided bodies going past my first school which was located mid way between the two . I have assumed ( dangerous) that the Fodens transported coal one way and coke in return . This was around 1950 . 
I gather that Benzole’s HQ was in London , Victoria which , if correct , would lean me towards Mitcham being a production site .

My interest came from the introduction of the Bachmann 14 tanker in Benzole livery a long time ago . I saw a photo in one of Bill Hudson’s books on private owner years ago and bought a couple of Bachmann tankers  . I removed the inaccurate catwalks to kit bash a slightly more accurate rendition which had its faults . The Oxford tanker is much better .
Ive looked at the website of Merton Historical Society but can’t find any more details . That said , I’ve  ordered a book from them which touches on Mitcham Gas Works . If it sheds more light , I’ll come back .

Ken 

4 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Could you advise precisely where the Benzol depot was in Mitcham ?

Many thanks

Ray

It was at the end of what is now Hallowfield Way. Became a demolition/skip hire yard in the 80s not sure what the site is now.

2 hours ago, 1466 said:

Hello Ray

I am going back nearly 70 years so memories are unreliable .

Church Path  is , I recall, a small alley off Church Road . There were small warehouses  around there and I recall smells  of paint and varnish being made . I also remember there was an industrial accident and 2 men were badly burned when a barrel of varnish caught fire . 
To be frank , I don’t know whether the site was an office or works . Mitcham had a  history chemical engineering so it could have been either . However I guess that making Benzole as a by product of coal gas production would need substantial plant .

One mystery for me is that  the Goods yard and Mitcham and the Gas works were separated and I don’t know how coal was transferred from the yard to the Gas works . I do recall huge 8 wheeler Foden  trucks with high sided bodies going past my first school which was located mid way between the two . I have assumed ( dangerous) that the Fodens transported coal one way and coke in return . This was around 1950 . 
I gather that Benzole’s HQ was in London , Victoria which , if correct , would lean me towards Mitcham being a production site .

My interest came from the introduction of the Bachmann 14 tanker in Benzole livery a long time ago . I saw a photo in one of Bill Hudson’s books on private owner years ago and bought a couple of Bachmann tankers  . I removed the inaccurate catwalks to kit bash a slightly more accurate rendition which had its faults . The Oxford tanker is much better .
Ive looked at the website of Merton Historical Society but can’t find any more details . That said , I’ve  ordered a book from them which touches on Mitcham Gas Works . If it sheds more light , I’ll come back .

Ken 

I am not sure if this helps but I have found the 'Alan Godfrey' series of map reprints very useful in identifying sites. Doubtless there will be one (possibly several for different years) covering this area. They usually have some useful historical information printed on the reverse and are very reasonably priced IMHO. Late 19th early 20th century tends to be the era covered by these maps.

18 minutes ago, Tramshed said:

I am not sure if this helps but I have found the 'Alan Godfrey' series of map reprints very useful in identifying sites. Doubtless there will be one (possibly several for different years) covering this area. They usually have some useful historical information printed on the reverse and are very reasonably priced IMHO. Late 19th early 20th century tends to be the era covered by these maps.

I have quite a few of those maps, though not the ones covering that area, One of our club members lives in Tooting and knows the Mitcham area well. He may well know the location mentioned above.

All the best

Ray

Thanks bigherb ! That is fantastic. My parents were married in Mitcham Parish church and I went  to The Star school , both in the photo .My grandad lived in Benedict Road .

Church Path - follow the road alongside the Church and grave yard . Church Path is marked by the line of trees coming towards Church Road , alongside the edge of the cemetery .

Which is a bit of a mystery as it is a fair way from what I take as the plant . 

Ken 

The accompanying aero maps are fascinating . I see from them that were sidings curving towards the Benzole site which I didn’t know were there .

I’d seen the sidings curving the opposite way which led to a metal fabricators with a rail mounted Coles crane  . It was later a car auction site  . Thanks bigherb .

Ken 

4 hours ago, bigherb said:

I think this is the same location on the National Library of Scotland (NLS) online mapping?:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.2221857006185&lat=51.40143&lon=-0.17656&layers=170&b=1

Note the “change transparency” slider that allows you to see the mapping overplayed on another layer, by default current/recent aerial photography.  You can also select various ages and scales of mapping.  

Don’t blame me if you end up spending hours looking at this site!

• Like 1

Yes 26power , this is exactly the same place . Amazing to see my childhood places from the air and on maps . 
My impression of Church Path and Church Road was  alongside the vicarage and church so I never saw the Benzole plant .

I am still mystified how coal was transported from Mitcham goods yard to the gas works . It would have been a huge effort in horse and car days and even if they used big Fodens , a Herculean task . I am hoping for enlightenment when I receive the history book . Thanks for another fascinating resource .

Ken 

• Like 1

Obviously Mitcham had a huge effect on people !

I was born and raised in Mitcham (Barons Grove, very near Mitcham station) and went to secondary school by the "2 train".

IF you go through the aerial pictures and Scottish National Library maps you will see that Mitcham yard went through at least 3 (if not more) major changes, ending up in the 1950's as a major signals and/or civil engineering depot (large timber piles, etc....)

Just to add to the exotic nature of one of the most boring looking stations, between it and Mitcham junction in the 30's and 40's there was  a standard gauge Contractor's branch which led to the St Helier housing estate, with sidings both adjacent to the branch line and up at St Helier (!)

AND !  (Just when you thought it couldn't get any more "build me, build me, I'm odd")  from the contractor's yard next to the branch line a narrow gauge railway ran up and either side of two large ponds (PRESUMABLY gravel workings) !

Find anywhere else in London where you get all that !

( I remember the tar like smell up by the Parish Church, and the paint smell from the yard)

Edited by phil gollin

• RMweb Premium

Here is an interesting example of a 12 ton tanker which appears to closely match the Oxford model in Shell-BP livery but confined to internal use at Falmouth Docks in February 1976. Would make an interesting prototype either for a repaint or a future Oxford offering.

391700904_Shell-BPA2098Falmouth.jpg.214037eae389697615c4f844d2d6003b.jpg

Possibly even more interesting is this rectangular tank in the same livery and use.

1832438391_Shell-BP317Falmouth.jpg.bd6be00faa49471a832162344b239c54.jpg

Both pictures were taken by my good friend Martin Stoolman and are reproduced here with his blessing.

Edited by Mike_Walker
  • Like 12

Guest Jack Benson
On 20/08/2020 at 12:54, 31A said:

IMG_3527.jpg.b672b9a27838f277dc38477838024b48.jpg

Hi Steve,

What is the origin of the portable pump in the bottom right of the image?

Thank you

Edited by Jack Benson

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jack,

Its a Coventry Climax Pump Trailer from Oxford Diecast:

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/coventry-climax-pump-trailer-nfs-grey-76ccp001?variant=89758007320&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpbbfgMjp7AIVCbLtCh0R1AF9EAQYAyABEgJo5_D_BwE

Being used on my layout as a makeshift Diesel fuelling facility.  I don't know whether they ever were used like that but it looks plausible, or at least I think so!

IMG_3473.jpg.330ca744cceb16b582b83af4d5befe90.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 31A said:

Interesting to see that Oxford do that model in three different colours depending on period modelled. Would make a nice wagon load too in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Interesting to see that Oxford do that model in three different colours depending on period modelled. Would make a nice wagon load too in my opinion.

It certainly does!  Sorry a bit :offtopic:

IMG_3747.jpg.f125c0de539b5f3b82eecc761b1aa156.jpg

• Like 5

20 hours ago, 31A said:

Hi Jack,

Its a Coventry Climax Pump Trailer from Oxford Diecast:

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/coventry-climax-pump-trailer-nfs-grey-76ccp001?variant=89758007320&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpbbfgMjp7AIVCbLtCh0R1AF9EAQYAyABEgJo5_D_BwE

Being used on my layout as a makeshift Diesel fuelling facility.  I don't know whether they ever were used like that but it looks plausible, or at least I think so!

IMG_3473.jpg.330ca744cceb16b582b83af4d5befe90.jpg

Portable pumps were certainly used for bitumens. Looks very appropriate. 

Paul

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2020 at 20:17, gwrrob said:

:offtopic:

I know it's off topic but these rather nice pumps are very useful but I'm not sure whether to get the green or grey version for a late '40s load. The red version is definitely too late for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

:offtopic:

I know it's off topic but these rather nice pumps are very useful but I'm not sure whether to get the green or grey version for a late '40s load. The red version is definitely too late for me.

What year are you modelling? The National Fire Service was disbanded in 1948 (some Act of 1947) and the responsibility reverted to the councils, who repainted their appliances red.

Martin

Edited by MartinTrucks
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/12/2020 at 20:13, Steamport Southport said:

Nice but it looks a bit ‘modern’ to my eyes. Hatton’s lists it for eras 2 and 3 but according to this site

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Fisons

The company didn’t become ‘Fisons Ltd’ until 1942.