Gladiator WW2 Railgun

Garethp8873

I am correct in thinking the green gladiator gun available now with an 18” gun is correct for WWII and the Bosch Buster in camo is wrong for WWI because it originally had a 14” barrel ? unless there doing 2 different barrels ?

Edited by dube

1 hour ago, dube said:

I am correct in thinking the green gladiator gun available now with an 18” gun is correct for WWII and the Bosch Buster in camo is wrong for WWI because it originally had a 14” barrel ? unless there doing 2 different barrels ?

Gladiator had a 13.5in weapon in WWII. Boche Buster had a 14in weapon in WWI. There are differences between the two and I do not know which Oxford has modelled - one model must be incorrect unless Boche Buster carried breifly a 13.5in in WWI.

Boche Buster's 18in howitzer is basically the 14in weapon bored out to the larger calibre and so would look no different externally except for the breach and inner diameter of the barrel.

• Agree 1

Yes they can’t both be correct from a search on the internet;

“ In Britain 14in was not a standard military calibre so following the end of WWI the barrels were removed and eventually scrapped in 1926. Their carriages, however, survived. In 1940 HMG Scene Shifter was given a new 13.5in barrel and HMG Boche Buster a new 18in barrel. However, there is some confusion about this and it is possible HMG Boche Buster was also given a 13.5in barrel, this only to be replaced later with an 18in barrel which itself had been developed in 1920. “

Gladiator also had a 13.5” gun in WWII, So it depends if the models have the same gun barrel, Boche Buster had a 14” gun in WWI, so maybe not much difference

Edited by dube
  • Agree 1

As promised, a few photos of H.M.G Gladiator on the under-construction Warrington Bank Quay. 

Very much doubt it'll fit once the catenary is up, except for the unwired yard roads. 

Strangely if I find one going cheap(er) at some point I'm tempted to put one into Loadhaul or similar just for a bit of fun.

Hats off to Oxford for trying something a little different.

Wild Boar Fell

DSC04080.JPG

DSC04085.JPG

• Like 10

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 01:25, 25901 said:

Some interesting info about the barrels https://www.victorianforts.co.uk/art/sleigh.htm

Interesting article. There are a few errors though. Piece Maker should read as Peace Maker. The 13 inch gun from a Duke class battleship should be a 13.5 inch gun from an Iron Duke class battleship which were scrapped in the early 30s except HMS Iron Duke herself, retained for training. It is possible some guns may have come from HMS Tiger, a battlecruiser with the same guns scrapped around the same time.

I've been on and off with this one as its SO Rule 1.

I'm coming around to the thought that it would make a  good cameo scene at a terminus, paired with the Bachmann "Ambulance Train"* pack as a WW1 "fund raiser" scene....

* Definitely another Rule 1 purchase that I've not really found a use for yet!

Strangely Gladiator can work alongside my EKR radial tank, both being on the EKR at the same time. If the army's loco had failed, they would have pressed into service whatever else was available and nearby so an Adams is not as far fetched as it would seem.

In a WWI setting, you could mix it with SECR stock on Sheppy island where they were proof fired.

If the gun poses no problems with my tunnels etc, I might run it with warwells, headed by an army WD 2-8-0. That never happened of course but makes an excellent rule number 1. Or I could just have fun with her popping out of a tunnel with an austerity 0-6-0.

Another possibility would be a model railway expo mixed with war gaming. You could invade and capture neighbouring layouts. The winner will be he who has the most layouts under his control at the end of the expo. The gun could shell layouts which are strongly defended.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:20, Wild Boar Fell said:

Still be safer than delivery by Hermes...

Hermes in my personal experience are pretty much on a par with Yodel, not that that says a lot. The best companies as far as I'm concerned are Royal Mail, Parcelforce and DPD....

Meanwhile, on the subject of the railgun, mine arrived this morning and very impressive it is too, although the side steps look a bit fragile and some clearances will have to checked before running it. On the basis of that first impression have pre-ordered "Boche Buster" (just the gun, NOT the loco/gun pack), I daresay I can find something suitable from my fleet to haul/propel it.

5 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Interesting article. There are a few errors though. Piece Maker should read as Peace Maker. The 13 inch gun from a Duke class battleship should be a 13.5 inch gun from an Iron Duke class battleship which were scrapped in the early 30s except HMS Iron Duke herself, retained for training. It is possible some guns may have come from HMS Tiger, a battlecruiser with the same guns scrapped around the same time.

Towards the end of the article, it does mention that the name was changed at some point from 'Piecemaker' to 'Peacemaker'

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've been on and off with this one as its SO Rule 1.

I'm coming around to the thought that it would make a  good cameo scene at a terminus, paired with the Bachmann "Ambulance Train"* pack as a WW1 "fund raiser" scene....

* Definitely another Rule 1 purchase that I've not really found a use for yet!

I agree Rule 1(b) actually "..all those items you would have done anything to get to run on your model "train-set" when you were nine.."..

Can anyone plausibly justify this rail gun running through an Austrian station in the 1960's?

35 minutes ago, Bill said:

I agree Rule 1(b) actually "..all those items you would have done anything to get to run on your model "train-set" when you were nine.."..

Can anyone plausibly justify this rail gun running through an Austrian station in the 1960's?

Easy, part of the S*******c Reserve running behind an ex-dutch WD 2-10-0 with a Midland Pullman power car as the forward command centre. Shipped out as part of a 'War Games' exercise. I may be wrong but I think a Battlespace Turbo Car was also in the rake??? 

HTH

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bill said:

Someone forgot to deploy the recoil spade...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4