Gladiator WW2 Railgun

Garethp8873

Well I thought it was very good and gave a great impression of just how awesome guns of this kind were in action.

As its a model I don't think we can expect much more in all honesty.

Full marks to Callum and Sam for bringing this to us.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

In one or two clip me and Sam looked at of similar guns firing, there appeared be some smoke around the breech. Weather this was only on other types of gun or were the breech was opened shortly after I don't know, so Sam added it in. The effect did come out much darker than we hoped, but at the end of the day it was just a bit of fun. :)

Smoke would have been light grey. The flash always towards the red spectrum to make spotting the weapon harder. The gun on the model is an 18inch howitzer. Not what Gladiator carried in WWII but I guess tooling up different guns would have been too expensive.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Can't get over how stunning this livery is!

Lurid was what I thought, dazzle camouflage! ;) I suspect it is a little vibrant compared to the actual colours as they yellow is a really strong mustard. With a little weathering though it should make a nice feature, everyone needs a tunnel to hide it in :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, SDJR7F88 said:

'Boche Buster' has arrived on the Western Front!
Can't get over how stunning this livery is!

IMG_20190813_123457-01.jpeg

Is it just the lighting, or is the boiler on the dean goods a redder shade of brown than the rest of the loco? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scots region said:

Is it just the lighting, or is the boiler on the dean goods a redder shade of brown than the rest of the loco? 

I get this question every time I post a picture of the ROD Dean ;) 

It's appears to be the lighting on diecast parts, looks all the same in the flesh (metal/plastic) ;) 

• Informative/Useful 1

Just now, SDJR7F88 said:

I get this question every time I post a picture of the ROD Dean ;) 

It's appears to be the lighting on diecast parts, looks all the same in the flesh (metal/plastic) ;) 

Mi mistook gub'ner, no' arm ment none sir.

Though from what I understand is the khaki livery not inaccurate to western front machines? I would have assumed that black would be the natural colour of choice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A look at eagerly anticipated 00 Gauge BL 13.5 inch Howitzer Railgun "Boche Buster" from Oxford Rail.
The model throughout features a high level of detail, including extensively detailed undercarriage, barrel, and breech, heavy die-cast construction, as well as a wealth of separately fitted parts, such as pipe work and chains. The vivid WW1 cameo livery has been recreated to a very high standard and is a work of art in it's own right! Despite it size, "Boche Buster" has no trouble in negotiating 2nd radius curves and pointwork.  
In this video we see 'Boche Buster' paired with Railway Operating Division (ROD) Khaki 'Dean Goods', ROD 2308 (fitted with Coastal Digital Sound), and armored stores car, being hauled into front.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I like the ammo van but shouldn't it have end doors and 6 wheel bogies?

Indeed, should be a lot shorter too. This model is just quickly knocked up representation using a Lima Refrigerator Car (was only £11). Funny thing is, it does have end doors that line-up, which seems works quite well. 

IMG_20190813_122937-01.jpeg

IMG_20190813_122949-01.jpeg

IMG_20190813_124621-01.jpeg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a fun project creating a rough representation of an Armored Stores Car.

A quick tutorial on how to created a Armored Store Car for use with the Oxford Rail - Railgun.
With the release of the superb Oxford Rail - "Gladiator" & "Boche Buster" Rail Guns, I've been looking a suitable model, to recreate an Armored Stores Car, which would of been pair with these behemoths and used to transport the shells and munitions. For this project I've used a Lima Junior Refrigerator Car, which bares a number of resemblances to the prototype.  
In this video, I show you step by step want I did to convert this model in a suitable Stores Car for use with my Railguns. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, PannierTanker14 said:

Now that would be worth every penny! :laugh:

I’ll see if I can wedge a sound chip into mine when I build it :good:

That would be the least of your problems...   Firstly would be the, forceful movement, of the gun carriage, caused by the recoil, then there is the problem of timing the movement with the sound file.

Personally, I might set it to be getting ready.  {Call me chicken, if you wish}

Regards

J

• Like 2

Well I seemed to have raised expectations to a new level.  I was actually referring to OR76BOOM01XS Oxford Rail Rail Gun - WWI Boche Buster Camouflage/ROD2330 (DCC-Sound). I assume that it is just the locomotive that is sound-equipped.  But then, as an ex-artillery man (RAA), the gun might add another dimension.  Mind you a 105 mm M101A1 Howitzer might not have the same punch.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KymN said:

Well I seemed to have raised expectations to a new level.  I was actually referring to OR76BOOM01XS Oxford Rail Rail Gun - WWI Boche Buster Camouflage/ROD2330 (DCC-Sound). I assume that it is just the locomotive that is sound-equipped.  But then, as an ex-artillery man (RAA), the gun might add another dimension.  Mind you a 105 mm M101A1 Howitzer might not have the same punch.

Such limited number of films of these little monsters firing are quite a sight and take a few viewing repeats to catch all that goes on.

I assumed, as you did, that the loco was "sound", but in any case, the gun wouldn't be fired in company with the ROD [which might have been used to tow them round the country, under canvas made to look like ordinary freight].  I suppose there is some opportunity to make a suitable cover, but a shame to cover it, 'though.  The locos used to move them in and out of WWII concealment tunnels were diesels, to prevent the smoke of a steamer giving an indication of the gun's position.  I'm not sure how that would have worked in WWI, but the problem would have been there, even then.

Edit:-  I just checked a couple of sellers, apparently this is Era 2 - 1870/5 - 1920.  That puts them in WWI as the set, as does the camouflage.

Regards

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The few standard gauge mechanically powered locomotives around during the Great War were not powerfull enough to move one of these guns. However there is a photograph of a Dean Goods in military service fitted with side tanks and condensing equipment. However this particular photograph dates from just after D-day and was taken at Cherbouge of wagons being hauled from an LST. Thats not to say there wasn't similar or the same used in WW1.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

A short running session feature a pair of ROD Khaki 'Dean Goods' from Oxford Rail, fitted with Digital Sound.
During WW1, 62 of these locomotive were sent to the Western Front running under the Railway Operating Division. These two variant of the popular GWR 2301 Class 'Dean Goods' from Oxford Rail, depicts ROD 2308 and ROD 2330 in smart ROD Khaki Livery, the latter being available in the Oxford Rail Railgun Train Pack. 
Like previous versions, the model features a high detail, including fine handrails, extensively detailed cab interior, as well as a weighty die-cast construction. I've also fitted the model with Digital Sound from Coastal DCC Sound. 
In this video we see both ROD 2308 & 2330 in action, moving BL 13.5 inch Howitzer Railgun "Boche Buster" to it's next position.

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1