Aberdaron, or, Little Aching

Apart from the faded scenery, which has a period charm of its own, It looks like a perfectly adequate BLT well worth rescuing from oblivion!  I realise you don't like the magick juice, but a furtle around with a cheap multimeter set to the resistance range will soon reveal any shorts or disconnections without whacking a full 12v through the system.  The same goes for point motors!

Apart from calling it Little Aching, how about Aching Parva or, for those holidaymakers who really need a break away from their toils, Aching by the Sea?

• Like 4

Or, alternatively...

MAKE IT LBSCR!!! 

Still, the idea of a Little Aching, Aching Parva, Aching By/On the Sea appeals. Also, it may be able to form the basis of an exhibitable layout, and we may therefore get to see a taste of the WNR at various shows - assuming, of course, that isn't the plan for Castle Aching itself!

• Like 1

Apart from calling it Little Aching, how about Aching Parva or, for those holidaymakers who really need a break away from their toils, Aching by the Sea?

Or you could go GNoS and make it Aberaching, or Inveraching.  On the other hand, you could do the decent thing, CR (C&O) and call it Kinloch Aching.

Jim

• Like 2

Correct, replacement brass sides.

These unfinished coaches represent some of the very little that was done during the Armchair Years, probably about 18-20 years ago and not touched since!  They need detailing, glazing and some replacement wheels and bearings.  I sort of lost heart, having lined the upper panels painstakingly only then to discover that this should have been in black, not chocolate!

The M&L 517 (not built by me!) will probably go back to pre-1906 green, lined and with Indian red frames.

I do like some of the naming suggestions.

Perhaps, we should have a number of alternative running-in boards in due course?  

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

May I ask exactly what locos you have in your collection? It seems every new thread reveals something else new that has otherwise yet to appear!

At the moment, I gather the following:

LBSCR K Class 2-6-0

LBSCR E4 Class 0-6-2T

LBSCR I3 Class 4-4-2T

GWR Class 517 0-4-2T

GNR Class C1 4-4-2

LSWR Class A12 0-4-2 (Very much a guess from a photo which appeared to show the chassis of one!)

LSWR Class M7 0-4-4T

What else?! I'm jealous of that little lot - I only have the E4, and my M7's all require backdating. One is staying in BR Black, another is staying in SR Bulleid Wartime Black and the other will be getting LSWR Drummond livery at some stage.

May I ask exactly what locos you have in your collection? It seems every new thread reveals something else new that has otherwise yet to appear!

At the moment, I gather the following:

LBSCR K Class 2-6-0

LBSCR E4 Class 0-6-2T

LBSCR I3 Class 4-4-2T

GWR Class 517 0-4-2T

GNR Class C1 4-4-2

LSWR Class A12 0-4-2 (Very much a guess from a photo which appeared to show the chassis of one!)

LSWR Class M7 0-4-4T

What else?! I'm jealous of that little lot - I only have the E4, and my M7's all require backdating. One is staying in BR Black, another is staying in SR Bulleid Wartime Black and the other will be getting LSWR Drummond livery at some stage.

Not a particularly coherent collection, you'll note.

But, again, you are correct.

post-25673-0-61608300-1516707502_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Correct, replacement brass sides.

These unfinished coaches represent some of the very little that was done during the Armchair Years, probably about 18-20 years ago and not touched since!  They need detailing, glazing and some replacement wheels and bearings.  I sort of lost heart, having lined the upper panels painstakingly only then to discover that this should have been in black, not chocolate!

The M&L 517 (not built by me!) will probably go back to pre-1906 green, lined and with Indian red frames.

I do like some of the naming suggestions.

Perhaps, we should have a number of alternative running-in boards in due course?  

I believe I used these, which appear to still be available: http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire/S103.php

I note instructions on the web-page to move the lamp tops.  I don't recall that instruction, so I bet mine are in the wrong place!  I'll just now know to add that to the list of jobs necessary to finish these coaches.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I believe I used these, which appear to still be available: http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire/S103.php

I note instructions on the web-page to move the lamp tops.  I don't recall that instruction, so I bet mine are in the wrong place!  I'll just now know to add that to the list of jobs necessary to finish these coaches.  

Oh yes. There may be some of these in the black hole I laughingly call my stash. Thanks, Ed.

• Like 1

I don't know, Mr Dwardian, but I suspect it may be attributable to your current unstable nature following the revealing of the fact that your photograph does not truely represent yourself!

Please take the above in jest, it is not intended to cause any offence.

Good Day, Sir,

Dr. Whom

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Borrowing heavily from the 'Norfolk Burnhams' - how about:

Aching Thorpe

Aching Overy Town

Aching Overy Staithe

Aching Burnham

And of course the lovely little town of Aching Market, actually being a combination of Aching Sutton, Aching Westgate and Aching Ulph...

Staithe for me is strongly associated with North Norfolk - having spent many happy childhood holidays staying just outside of Brancaster Staithe, and trips to Burnham Overy Staithe to go crabbing. Not forgetting a stop off en-route at Castle Rising to pick strawberries!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Actually, for a financially impecunious prudent Company, third class accommodation might share an oil lamp between two compartments, positioning each lamp over a compartment partition....

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Your rescued layout certainly has a pleasant charm about it James.  Definitely well worth the purchase and sympathetically restored it would make a very pleasing layout indeed.

• Agree 1