Aberdaron, or, Little Aching

Until today I was unaware that Lionheart Trains, now a Dapol brand, had made these autocoaches in O gauge. This, then, should give us a good idea of what to expect.

My first conclusion is that, based on the O gauge version pictured below, the fully-lined chocolate and cream version is likely to represent the 1923, not pre-1908, iteration of this livery.

image.png.3c465a4138c9f86e50ee8675ef38e91f.png

All is far from lost, however, as I believe that tweaking it back to 1907 livery should not be too difficult.  This is important for me, because my conclusion is that the most accurate of the forthcoming Kernow SRMs is the fully-lined chocolate and cream version, which dates to 1906. Add a lined 517 with brass dome and black frames and my Ratio 4-wheelers and we have three complimentary branch passenger services of the same period.  

We can then spin forward to 1912 as I do like the Dapol rendition of the 1912 lake, the only pukka pre-Grouping livery announced. This looks very well done on the O gauge version, and a better shade than Kernow's SRM appears to wear, though I am intrigued as to why the  driver's door is labelled "luggage"! 

image.png.2b93492eb5afea6db234e094923a833d.png

Both versions would benfit from the removal of the gong and the white lines on the driving end windows.

Ultimately I think a nice sequence through the early 1900s to the Great War should be possible, but the sweet spot is looking like 1906-1907.

As a vehicle out-shopped in early 1906, the Kernow SRM sports the 'prize monogram', a nice chance to have this fleeting livery variation represented. By the end of the year, the Garter, with supports, was back, hence the Dapol Dia. N trailers had these when outshopped in early 1907, and, of course, these were also part of the 1923 scheme, though apparently not in the same places! 

So, what would I have to do to the livery to back-date the model from 1923 to 1907?

Well, spot the difference between the model and this:

1136298878_DiaN1907(1)-Copy.jpg.dfee0a2f7d6079e8017a06dca50fab3e.jpg

408623874_N40.jpg.8f5e18da0e0a0cce7a2352319c485dbe.jpg

The cream panels should strictly have the distance lining, but I can only just see it in places in the photograph of No.37, the clearest I have. It would be easy to over-emphasise this lining if I attempted to add it and, really, none of my other stock of the period is likely to have it! I could look at having transfers made, and treat all my stock to them, but painting them I ain't!

On the waist, the number on the side should also have the prefix 'No.' added, and the position of the number is changed, further towards the centre, in the second, not the first, body waist panel (LtoR, excluding the driver's door).  

Also on the waist, the G W R initials need to be removed. These are present in the 1912 lake, and probably also in the 1908 brown livery, and, of course, in 1923. But not on the pre-1908 chocolate and cream.

I think the Garter and supports need to be repositioned. You can see that there is one each in the 3 longest panels, with the London dragon wing inder the number, which is in the second, not the first, body waist panel (LtoR, excluding the driver's door). At the luggage end I suspect the number is in the correct panel for 1907. 

On the lower body it might be that the vertical beading below the waist along the whole length should be lined. 

As aforementioned no gong on the driver's end, no white lines in the end windows if present on the model.  

I'll need to check the lamp irons, but physically its looking reasonably good. The model is fitted for gas lighting, so no problems there, and, interestingly, they seem to have remained gas-lit throughout their lives. While the GWR fitted electric lighting to new-built trailers from 1929, photos of the pre-Grouping designs in BR days still show them with gas fittings.  

Below, the luggage end of the O gauge model, Dapol are including these luggage end windows on the OO gauge version, I received confirmation of this because the CAD render shown so far for the OO gauge model is the BR version with the blank end.

image.png.5c0c966e16848756ef81df87059e84b9.png

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

By contrast, save that it's the 'prize monagram' rather than the Garter and supports, this is the Kernow decorated sample in the livery to which I would want to back-date the Dapol trailer:

image.png.ab70eea5577125cfd5d0f9b45cc5f76c.png

Note the gold lining on the vertical beading below the waist, a point I mention in the post above. Dapol's O gauge version seems to have picked these out in black, so I could try to add the gold in the basis that it might not be noticeable on contemporary photographs, but it shows clearly on the Kernow model.

I cannot see from this that Kernow has troubled to include the distance lining in the cream panels, a further disincentive to bother to add this to the trailer. 

For contrast, the 1923 livery on the Dapol O Gauge model. 

image.png.d4f6457e2f647bbda1e06709e19a6aab.png

17 minutes ago, Schooner said:

I'm not sure if we're not witnessing the early courtship between our host and an eye-level 7mm circuit around the shed...

Not at over £200 plus whatever you'd have to pay for a Lee Marsh 517, assuming you could find one!

(not that I've looked, of course!)

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Like 6

Apropos the lake verison ....

image.png.0589b4cef578b9e8a52e0087d06a90b2.png

Here is a shot of OO Gauge Dapol Mainline & City coaches in lake. I assume a decorated sample. It appears to show the same shade as the O gauge trailer, which I rather like, so is again encouraging. 

image.png.c5e3d87d479df0defe140778171f6b69.png 

Of course, photographs are treacherous and it is thus impossible to judge these things adequately, and I have seen the Mainline and City samples look very different in another picture, yet so far I have not found the Kernow version very convincing, so will need to await release. I haven't pre-ordered a lake version. 

420945253_DiagramR.jpg.cbddd0cf5c39140e8a92c46c9f00308b.jpg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I can vouch with lighting playing havoc with the colour of the Dapol toplights @Edwardian

DSCN8817.JPG.d604c500dab256cdee0b5e0fb1caf30c.JPG

Still looks good though!

I have no possible excuse to buy these. Furthermore, for me you either have 6 of these or none, as they were sets. Goodness, though, I'm sorely tempted!

Steel sided 57' corridor toplights now signed off. Can see my interest in the South Devon mailine in the 1930s reviving!  Richard hints at more, presumably wood panelled toplights. Hitherto unimaginable munificence!

I do hope they include a Brake Compo at some point, can never enough of them, and one in lake in due course makes for a nice through coach for a branchline!

• Like 4

Just now, gwrrob said:

Where did you hear that, is it official ?

Yep, Richard posted this in the autocoach topic, though actually he said "will be signed off soon", in reference to the design work, so I took that to mean they will happen, here: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I do hope they include a Brake Compo at some point, can never enough of them, and one in lake in due course makes for a nice through coach for a branchline!

E95 was suggested.

• Like 3