No layout left behind! A fine little thing, this. You should be proud that you rescued it as had it not sold it might have ended up in the bin. Long live Aberdaron!

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2018 at 11:19 AM, Edwardian said:

I sort of lost heart, having lined the upper panels painstakingly only then to discover that this should have been in black, not chocolate!

For this job, I can highly recommend the Posca paint pens - in about ten minutes I lined out a Triang clerestory brake just to see if it would work. Much more controllable than a brush on raised paneling, and they dry to Matt black being paint rather than ink. They also come in white and ivory which are good for colouring in panelling.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

8 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

For this job, I can highly recommend the Posca paint pens - in about ten minutes I lined out a Triang clerestory brake just to see if it would work. Much more controllable than a brush on raised paneling, and they dry to Matt black being paint rather than ink. They also come in white and ivory which are good for colouring in panelling.

Can you get one in blue? I've been trying to find one to line my locos for a while. 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Can you get one in blue? I've been trying to find one to line my locos for a while. 

I’ve ordered some from cultpens.com this morning - they have a range of colours and nib sizes - 

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/UN12119/uni-posca-marker-pen-pc-1mr-ultra-fine-black---single

Just scroll down the list till you find the colour you want. Even better they have a 20% discount on the Posca pens at the moment! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For doing the lining on my c1906 coaches I use a Rotring pen with a 0.1mm nib and Rotring black ink.  A cruel close up is shown below - I should add that the model is 2mm Finescale.  When I was modelling in 4mm scale I used the same equipment to do coaches in that scale albeit with a 0.25mm nib.

u21complete.jpg.e51c7a760e0c28399f6b2ae343fb3b94.jpg

Ian

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

11 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

2 hours ago, NeilHB said:

I’ve ordered some from cultpens.com this morning - they have a range of colours and nib sizes - 

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/UN12119/uni-posca-marker-pen-pc-1mr-ultra-fine-black---single

Just scroll down the list till you find the colour you want. Even better they have a 20% discount on the Posca pens at the moment! 

Great minds think alike - I've been experimenting with these recently (bought from the supplier mentioned). If doing straw/yellow lined black - LMS or Midland/Great Western, if the yellow or straw can pass for gold - then the Posca 0.7 mm fine is just a bit too wide for the black so I'm digging out the old Rotring pen. 

My attention was drawn to the Posca pens by Grahame's mention of using the white for road markings.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1