Keyser's ex-LNWR 6-wheelers

Prometheus

Having an inexplicable weakness for K's coaches, I have at last acquired [just] one of the above - the Bk 3rd. It'll take some fettling to construct a square and free-running model, but it can be done [at least if my experience with their GWR coaches is anything to go by].

My questions though -

• would these have still been in regular use anywhere within the LMS during the War years [WW2, obviously], and
  • were the droplights painted or left as varnished mahogany? 

Thanks all.

ps  I'm still looking for a Third to build, and a Full Brake!

Tony

Edited by Prometheus

Tony

In the past with the 4 wheel SR coaches I removed the W irons, springs and axle boxes from the sides and fitted etched brass W irons from memory re-using the springs and axle boxes, this totally transformed the running of the coaches. May have used copperclad sheet for the floor.

My plan for the 6 wheel coaches is to use the Comet 6 wheel etched W irons, the centre wheels having the axles cut back to the wheels and using the inside bearing part included of the Comet etch, leaving the spring, W iron and axle box of the centre part of the underframe

• RMweb Premium

Philip Millard is frustratingly vague on withdrawal dates, simply stating that "examples ... survived well into Nationalisation after 1948". He does have a photo of a 5-compartment third in fully-lined LMS livery, noting thatit was withdrawn in 1940. Jenkinson doesn't give withdrawal dates either. He gives the number of 5-compartment thirds as 500+ but Millard gives the total as 827, stating that this is the most numerous single design of British railway carriage, though the L&Y's 49' bogie 8-compartment thirds come a close second at 808, with no other design coming close. Many of the 5-compartment thirds were converted to brake thirds with, it seems, comparatively few built new.

Refs.

P. A. Millard, London & North Western Railway 30ft 1in six-wheeled carriages, 2e (LNWR Society, 2008).

D. Jenkinson, LNWR Carriages a concise history, 2e (Pendragon, 1995).

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for this. At least a mid-40s livery will not stretch credibility toooooo far then.

Tony

Although you should bear in mind that a great many older carriages were still in the fully-lined (Midland style) livery during the war years (go carriage spotting in Brief Encounter) as is the example I mentioned from Millard. I very much doubt very many would have had a full repaint after the adoption of the simplified livery, which only came in in 1934.

I think it would be very unlikely that a 6 wheel coach would have still been in revenue traffic on the LMS by WW2. The LNER had a much bigger problem with 4 wheel and 6 wheel stock between the wars , but they had virtually eliminated non-bogie passenger coaches by the summer of 1940 - as far as I recall the Mid Suffolk was the only line still using them in 1945

However in departmental use it would have been a very different story......

Thanks for that further information. I can see that credibility issue becoming more elastic by the moment....

But I can rest assured that absolutely nobody else in the Club will notice!  I made a perfectly good and successful living driven by style over substance and am far too old to change now!

Thanks again

Tony

Edited by Prometheus

Tony

Does it matter if the odd rake of coaches, or loco pops up from time to time on a layout based on a different era ? Its not as though a Virgin Voyager will be passing it at high speed. We always called it modellers licence. Or build yourself a small inglenook layout to run it on 

It matters not a jot, John: you are correct. I'll be building as planned. My only rule of thumb in matters like this - and it is an extremely general rule of thumb - is try not to be totally incredible [in the correct sense of the word]. As Cecil B deMille is at least reputed to have said, '...Gentlemen, those are my principles: if you don't like 'em, I've probably got a few more...!

If we can't enjoy ourselves, what can we do?

Tony

• Like 1